[comp.text.tex] Anyone with Tex on Xenix 286/386?

marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) (03/01/90)

Has anyone been able to get Tex to compile on a Xenix 286 or 386 system?
Where there any patches required and what is the best FTP site to get
the current distribution of Tex?

--
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks

jtc@van-bc.UUCP (J.T. Conklin) (03/01/90)

In article <1081@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>Has anyone been able to get Tex to compile on a Xenix 286 or 386 system?

The UNIX TeX distribution works as is on Xenix 386 systems.  The only
problem is that tangle tickles a bug in the compiler's code generator
so it is a bit of a bother to bootstrap it.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc, jtc@wimsey.bc.ca

wsinpdb@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (03/01/90)

In article <1081@mgse.UUCP> marks@mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert) writes:
>Has anyone been able to get Tex to compile on a Xenix 286 or 386 system?
>Where there any patches required and what is the best FTP site to get
>the current distribution of Tex?

On a 286 the official Tex distribution will not work.
A few days ago I posted a message in comp.unix.xenix that
the source for Tex 2.0, hacked for SCO Xenix 286, release 2.2.1
is available for anonymous ftp from tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl, address
131.155.2.8. (well I first got the address wrong, but this one is
correct).

Your mileage with other releases of SCO Xenix may vary. Older versions
certainly do not work. Newer versions may work is SCO didn't break anything
in their compiler.

Only the c-source for the tex program is on tuewsd. You will have to get
fonts and macros someplace else.

An undump program is included with the sources.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (03/02/90)

In article <1567@tuegate.tue.nl> wsinpdb@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:

>On a 286 the official Tex distribution will not work.
>A few days ago I posted a message in comp.unix.xenix that
>the source for Tex 2.0, hacked for SCO Xenix 286, release 2.2.1
>is available for anonymous ftp from tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl, address
>131.155.2.8. (well I first got the address wrong, but this one is
>correct).

The fact that you are dealing with TeX 2.0 which is now *very* old
seems to indicate that you might have an old Unix distribution. Just
out of curiosity, what was the date of your Unix TeX tape?

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

wsinpdb@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (03/03/90)

In article <4759@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu writes:
>In article <1567@tuegate.tue.nl> wsinpdb@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
>...stuff about tex for xenix deleted...
>The fact that you are dealing with TeX 2.0 which is now *very* old
>seems to indicate that you might have an old Unix distribution. Just
>out of curiosity, what was the date of your Unix TeX tape?

My Tex port for xenix-286 was created many years ago.
Although it is only version 2.0 it works well.
I since have access to 32-bit machines and use a newer version on those.
The port involved manual hacking, so I didn't want to start all over
with each new version of Tex. Maybe I'll give it a go when
Tex 3.0 comes out...

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)