[comp.text.tex] EEPIC package with dvi2ps V3.1 ?

muller@phoenix.src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) (03/03/90)

We had a problem with postscript inclusions in dvi, so I installed
version 3.1 of dvi2ps (by Kevin Coombes). It works good for postcript
inclusions, but now I've got a problem with the EEPIC package.

To summarize, I am using the "fig" editor to draw my figures and EEPIC
is necessary to draw complex figures:

 - PicTeX, EPIC, EEPICemu make TeX exploding :-(
 - LaTeX is good for simple drawings only
 - postscript is not good because you cannot use TeX codes in strings..

Unfortunately, EEPIC seems to use \special "tpic" and dvi2ps 3.1 doesn't
seem to understand them. Is there any trick to use it ? or should I
install another translator.. ? (or enlarge TeX :-) )

     Christophe.

 = Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from ...to choose from =

stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (03/03/90)

In article <22869@mimsy.umd.edu>, muller@phoenix.src.umd.edu (Christophe
Muller) writes:

> Unfortunately, EEPIC seems to use \special "tpic" and dvi2ps 3.1 doesn't
> seem to understand them. Is there any trick to use it ? or should I
> install another translator.. ? (or enlarge TeX :-) )

Use dvips (from labrea.stanfrod.edu). It understands PS inclusions,
PS fonts AND tpic specials. Also, I found it to have more accurate
positioning than some (older) version of dvi2ps.

PicTeX may be a viable substitute for tpic if you have absolutely no way of
getting tpic, but even with a large enough TeX its so slooooow
(even on RISC workstations) that its useless for the usual edit-and-
preview cycle.

----
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU
1957 Center St., Suite 600, Berkeley, CA 94704	(415) 642-4274 ext. 126