[comp.text.tex] frequently asked questions

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/26/90)

It's obvious that this group needs a regular posting of answers to
frequently asked questions. You know, the how to I get TeX, how do I
get LaTeX, how do I do doublespacing, where is the distribution for
Kludge 999 machines, where can I get drivers for my Klunkmatic 321
printer, etc. etc.

Sorry, I'm not volunteering, I have too much on my hands. But it
doesn't have to all done by one person. The TeX world is too big for
one person to have any hope of knowing all of it anyway. But one
person can compile information collected from various folk, post the
assembled document at regular intervals and readers can send
corrections to the compiler as needed. I'd be willing to write a
couple of paragraphs myself.

Any takers?

bjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian J. Smith) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb25.182757.23500@cs.rochester.edu> ken@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>It's obvious that this group needs a regular posting of answers to
>frequently asked questions. You know, the how to I get TeX, how do I
>get LaTeX, how do I do doublespacing, where is the distribution for
>Kludge 999 machines, where can I get drivers for my Klunkmatic 321
>printer, etc. etc.
>
>Any takers?

I would be willing to compile these small bits of information as long
as maintainers of the different versions of TeX pertaining to the
different architectures will forward there infomation to me.  I
personally can answer a few of the METAFONT questions and locations to
get versions.  But it is kinda confusing, maybe someone at one of the
existing archive site would be better fit for this job.  If not I will
take it as long as I get enough information to inform with (YA RIGHT)

	Brian
--
Brian J. Smith				"I have come here to chew bubble
{gatech|mailrus}!uflorida!bjs		 gum and kick ass, and I'm fresh

frost@sdsu.edu (Richard Frost) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb25.182757.23500@cs.rochester.edu> ken@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>It's obvious that this group needs a regular posting of answers to
>frequently asked questions.

As other respondents have suggested, a central site might be the answer.
Perhaps TUG could be persuaded to maintain an anonymous ftp node complete
with index !?

How about it, TUG ??

--

* **   * * *** * * * **  * is **** * it ** *  * random ** ? *  *********
Richard Frost	Mathematical Sciences, SDSU CA 92182

lmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Mann) (02/28/90)

You almost might want to have different people maintain answers to
different types of questions:

	1. LaTeX users (how do I doublespace?)

	2.  TeX users (how do I set up a bibliography for a book?)

	3.  Wizards and gurus (how do I make pk files?)

	4.  Metafont hackers (how can I port Pandora?)

I don't know much about 1, 3, or 4, but I can sure help with
the second type of question!

***     Laurie_Mann@es.stratus.com ** uunet!lectroid!es!Laurie_Mann     ***
***   Stratus Computer, 55 Fairbanks Blvd., M22PUB, Marlboro, MA 01752  ***
***	   Work like hell  *  Tell everyone everything you know 	***
***            Close a deal with a handshake  *  Have fun		***
***	            Harold (Doc) Edgerton  1903-1990			***

wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (02/28/90)

-
-I would be willing to compile these small bits of information as long
-as maintainers of the different versions of TeX pertaining to the
-different architectures will forward there infomation to me.
-
Likewise, I would be willing to compile the information.
--
Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain

hermann@loria.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) (02/28/90)

In article <814@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> lmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Mann) writes:
>You almost might want to have different people maintain answers to
>different types of questions:
>
>	1. LaTeX users (how do I doublespace?)
>
>	2.  TeX users (how do I set up a bibliography for a book?)
>
>	3.  Wizards and gurus (how do I make pk files?)
>
>	4.  Metafont hackers (how can I port Pandora?)
>
>I don't know much about 1, 3, or 4, but I can sure help with
>the second type of question!

The solution of the first question is  easy. It requires  only to read
Lamport's  LaTeX manual properly (Rule  of thumb: If  it does not work
for  the  n-th  time, read the  reference manual!). The explanation is
given   on  the page   155.  The \baselinestretch   parameter does the
required work.  You can use it in the following way:

AFTER the \documentstyle..., but BEFORE \begin{document} you write

	\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{2}

for doublespaced documents. As it is explained in  the manual, you can
use a decimal number (1.5, 2, 3.14, etc) for \baselinestretch.

Miki HERMANN
Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy
e-mail:  hermann@loria.crin.fr
post:    CRIN, B.P. 239, F-54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex, FRANCE
phone:   +33  83.91.20.00 ext(poste) 28.68

crm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (03/05/90)

In article <1513@loria.crin.fr> hermann@loria.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) writes:
>The solution of the first question is  easy. It requires  only to read
>Lamport's  LaTeX manual properly (Rule  of thumb: If  it does not work
>for  the  n-th  time, read the  reference manual!). The explanation is
>given   on  the page   155.  The \baselinestretch   parameter does the
>required work.  You can use it in the following way:
>
>AFTER the \documentstyle..., but BEFORE \begin{document} you write
>
>	\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{2}
>
>for doublespaced documents. As it is explained in  the manual, you can
>use a decimal number (1.5, 2, 3.14, etc) for \baselinestretch.

And, just like the LaTeX book says, doing so results in a really ugly
hacked version of double spacing.  (Okay, I admit Lamport didn't say it
quite that way....)

If you have to produce a finished document that is doublespaced, in
LaTeX, you should really modify the style in much more significant ways:

(1) Pick an appropriate baselineskip value.  I've been using 12pt type
on 20pt centers, so \baselineskip 20pt plus 2pt minus 1pt works pretty
well.

(2) Adjust the before and after spacing on sections, subsections, etc.

(3) Adjust the space before and after for floats.

(4) Make sure the table of contents etc uses a smaller center:
doublespaced TOC etc looks funny.  (The Dragon At The Graduate School
Gate here will buy a single-spaced TOC even though the text must be less
grey.....)

But simply setting baselinestretch once and for all is not an adequate
solution.
Charlie Martin (crm@cs.duke.edu,mcnc!duke!crm)