[comp.text.tex] Summary -- Spell Checkers

cerbone@mist.cs.orst.edu (cerbone giuseppe) (03/04/90)

To whom it might be interested in.

This is a summary of the answers I received to my quest for a spell
checker. I assume no responsability on availabity or correctness
of the software.
This message is a service to the group and an acknowledgment of its
usefulness.
At the same time it is also intended as a "thank you note" to all
people that have taken their time to answer my quest.

Software	ftp-address		Notes
detex	j.cc.purdue.edu 		Takes a .tex file and
	uunet.uu.net			eliminates all tex commands
	haunama.staford.edu

ispell	tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/ispell/*
					A general purpose spell
					checker that "knows" about LATEX.
					Works in combination with Emacs.
					A file ispell.el is also available.

Routine at the end of this message
					It make some mistakes because
it does not recognize all Latex commands and parameters but it is a
clever "quick and dirty" solution to the problem. I have run it and
the mistakes it makes do not seem to create a problem. You just ignore them.

Acknowledgments:
---------------
Software   Info-from		    Author of the package
detex	   Peter Flur 		Kamal Al Yah-ya
	   ghe@physics.orst.edu
	   stefan@svax.cs.cornell.edu
	   Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM

ispell	   root@cis.ohio-state.edu

routine    Martin B Maechler	Charlie Geyer

The Following shell-script is from our local TeX-"guru", Charlie Geyer:
(copy it to your local ~/bin  ,make it executable ('chmod +x <file>)
and use it!
--- cut here --
#! /bin/sh
if test $1 = '-b'
then
  shift
  B='-b'
else
  B=''
fi
if test -f $1.spell
then  sed 's/\\[a-zA-Z]*//g' $1.tex | spell $B | sort | comm -23 - $1.spell
else sed 's/\\[a-zA-Z]*//g' $1.tex | spell $B | more
fi
--- cut ----

--- US-mail ---			|  --- e-mail ---
Giuseppe CERBONE		| Domain: cerbone@cs.orst.edu

daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu (03/04/90)

In Article: <16426@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>
The auther write :
>To whom it might be interested in.
>
>This is a summary of the answers I received to my quest for a spell
>checker. I assume no responsability on availabity or correctness
>of the software.
>This message is a service to the group and an acknowledgment of its
>usefulness.
>At the same time it is also intended as a "thank you note" to all
>people that have taken their time to answer my quest.
>
>Software       ftp-address             Notes
>detex  j.cc.purdue.edu                 Takes a .tex file and
>       uunet.uu.net                    eliminates all tex commands
>       haunama.staford.edu
>
>ispell tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/ispell/*
>                                       A general purpose spell
>                                       checker that "knows" about LATEX.
>                                       Works in combination with Emacs.
>                                       A file ispell.el is also available.
>
>Routine at the end of this message
>                                       It make some mistakes because
>it does not recognize all Latex commands and parameters but it is a
>clever "quick and dirty" solution to the problem. I have run it and
>the mistakes it makes do not seem to create a problem. You just ignore them.

        I tried to ftp them , but I failed.

     Tried                      Result
 ================      ============================================
 ftp uunet.uu.edu       Refused to connect!
 ftp j.cc.purdue.edu    In which directory ??
 ftp haunama.staford.edu  No such a node!
 ftp haunama.stanford.edu   No such a node!
 ===============       ============================================

        So I think maybe something wrong with the post. Maybe the auther forget
to check the spelling of his article ? :-)

        Also , can I use any of these checkers in VAX/VMS ?

        daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (03/04/90)

In article <1148daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
> ftp uunet.uu.edu       Refused to connect!

should be uunet.uu.net

>        Also , can I use any of these checkers in VAX/VMS ?

Probably not. There is a PD VMS spell checker that does a reasonable
job of ignoring TeX commands (it sometimes ignores text as well)
available from ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.public.spell]. I forget
the original source.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

p5o@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Salvatore Attardo) (03/05/90)

About ftping detex:

>        I tried to ftp them , but I failed.
>
>     Tried                      Result
> ================      ============================================

> ftp j.cc.purdue.edu    In which directory ??

comp.sources.unix/volume7/v01i028.Z
 "    "      "      "     v01i029.Z

 "    "      "    volume8/v08i061.Z
 "    "      "    volume8/v08i062.Z

S.

rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Roland Roberts) (03/06/90)

In article <4803@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU
(dhosek) writes:
>In article <1148daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>>        Also , can I use any of these checkers in VAX/VMS ?
>
>Probably not. There is a PD VMS spell checker that does a reasonable
>job of ignoring TeX commands (it sometimes ignores text as well)
>available from ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.public.spell]. I forget
>the original source.

There is a PD VMS spell checker that came on the Fall 89 VAX/LT DECUS
tape.  I don't know if it is the same as the above or not, but it does
ignore TeX, runoff and scribe commands, based on file extension.
Contact you local DECUS librarian.

roland
--
Roland Roberts,  University of Rochester   BITNET: roberts@uornsrl