[comp.text.tex] DVI previewer for DECWindows

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (03/15/90)

In article <935@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> meadows@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu writes:
>  1. Is there an anonymous FTP site from which I could download a good
>     DVI to HP DeskJet translator?

THE HOST MACHINE! TELL ME THE HOST MACHINE!!!!!!!

>  2. Can anyone point me to an anonymous FTP site from which I could
>     obtain a DVI Previewer for DECWindows. I'm running VMS 5.3 on a
>     VaxStation 3100 with DECWindows.

As usual, additions and corrections to dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu:

DVI to DeskJet drivers:

The only possible answer for you is from this posting from
comp.fonts, but I don't know what system this runs on... can
anybody tell me?

>From: verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber)
Newsgroups: comp.fonts
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet fonts

James Krause (krause@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu) got the format of the soft
fonts out of HP.  He has done a dvi2dj that is pretty spiff.  It does
dynamic font creation on the fly to minimize memory usage... very
simular to the method used by dvi2x2700 in the old days.  James put
dvidj up for anonymous ftp... I don't remember where.  There is a
version on my machine in /msdos/tex/dvid.arc

---mark

------------------------------

DVI to DECwindows

The only one I know of is XDVI. A VMS version is available for
FTP from ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.tex.drivers.xdvi] Here
is the readme file from that directory:

---
This distribution contains the xdvi TeX previewer as modified for
DECWindows under VMS.  The code is still under development and some portions
may not work very well.  I would appreciate bug fixes and comments.
If someone would write and send me a small user's guide, I would really
appreciate it.

Do not give dvi filename specifications with colons in them.  xdvi interprets
arguments with a colon to be a display specification.

To build from sources, first edit XDVI.C and change the defines for FONTPATH
and DEFAULT_FONT_PATH to point to the top level of your TeX font tree, define
the logical X11 to be DECW$INCLUDE, and  compile and link as in COMPILE.COM.
(Please remember that XDVI is a TeX tool, so you'll need to have TeX installed
before running XDVI.)

To use xdvi, define the symbol

$ xdvi :== $disk:[directory]xdvi

To run xdvi,

$ xdvi dvifile

To get you started, a few commands from the previewer window are listed below:

1s : Magnify.
4s : Normal size.
8s : reduce.
20s : Really reduce.
l  : left  (Only if magnified)
r  : right (Only if magnified)
u  : up    (Only if magnified)
d  : down  (Only if magnified)
q  : quit
b  : back one page
n  : next page
2 and <CR> : Go two pages forward
-2 and <CR> : Go two pages backward
space : forward one page
^L : redraw.

June 2, 1989
-----
Sanjay Kapur
VAX Systems Staff,
Computing Center,  SUNY, Stony Brook, NY 11794
and
Chair, DECUS Long Island Local User's Group.

SKAPUR@SBCCMAIL.BITNET
skapur@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Some of the terms used in this file and and accompanying sources are
trademarks.  They include DECWindows, X, X11 etc.

--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

ted@nieland.DAYTON.OH.US (Ted Nieland) (03/17/90)

In message <935@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, meadows@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu asks about
a previewer for DECWindows.  A version of XDVI for DECWindows is on
the DECUS TeX Collection (August 1989) and a version of TeXx for DECWindows
is on the Fall 1989 VAX/L&T SIG Tape.

The XDVI program is also on a MAILSERV at MAILSERV%FALCON@AAMRL.AF.MIL.
To get a copy send a message to that address containing the "SEND XDVI.*".
The files you will receive will VMS_SHARE encoded and contain the C source
to XDVI.

Ted Nieland
DECUS TeX Collection Editor
DECUS L&T SIG Tape Librarian