[comp.text.tex] Query: reference for margin sizes on ``twosided'' documents

kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) (03/18/90)

Is there a good reference for what margin sizes should be on
``twosided'' documents?  In LaTeX, margins for twosided documents are
shifted, relative to onesided documents, by a magic number that
appears to be around 18-19 pts, at least for article and book styles.

I'd like to know if there are general principles, printer's
conventions or something, for deriving such numbers.

Keiji Kanazawa
kgk@cs.brown.edu

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (03/18/90)

In article <KGK.90Mar17134615@aruba.cs.brown.edu> kgk@cs.brown.edu (Keiji Kanazawa) writes:
>Is there a good reference for what margin sizes should be on
>``twosided'' documents?  In LaTeX, margins for twosided documents are
>shifted, relative to onesided documents, by a magic number that
>appears to be around 18-19 pts, at least for article and book styles.

>I'd like to know if there are general principles, printer's
>conventions or something, for deriving such numbers.

On a one-sided document, the text is centered on the page; for two-sided
documents, there are several formulae that can be used (I don't know any
of them, just that they exist) for coming up with good page placement.

There is a reference work in German (I forget the title and author) which
has pictures and explanations of various paradigms for the placement of
the text body on the page. I'll see if I can find a reference.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.