[comp.text.tex] DVI -> Kyocera F-2010

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (03/15/90)

In article <749@dksoft.incom.de> dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
>I tried to install a DVI to Kyocera F-2010 converter on a friends machine
>today which did not work.

WHAT MACHINE? Fortunately, the number of Kyocera drivers is small so you'll
get an answer. Most people are not so fortunate.

>First I used the hp LaserJet+ emulation of the Kyocera in conjunction
>with Bebee's dvijep converter. The result was quit strange, after
>every word the Kyocera inserted a Form-Feed. The printed words itself
>were in perfect quality. The same driver works perfectly with the
>LaserJet IIP.

Exactly. If you want HP compatibility, buy HP. No other printers are
_truly_ HP-compatible, and they usually break down on TeX output (because
of the downloaded fonts, of course).

>The next step was to use the FX-80 emulation of the Kyo. This works
>but looks very draft.

What do you expect. It's a dot matrix printer.

>Does anybody use or have a DVI to Kyocera F-2010 converter. The Kyo has
>several emulation modes, mainly Prescribe and hp LaserJet+. He has enough
>memory to hold a full-page 300 dpi graphic.

Forget emulation. Use the native control set. The below drivers are
written to support it:

Additions or corrections to dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu

 Kyocera F-10xx, F-20xx
 >Big Computers
  (Unix)
   Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Aeronomie
     Written in C

  (VAX/VMS)
   LaserPrint

   Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Aeronomie
     Written in C

 >Little Computers
  (Atari ST)
   TeXsys

  (IBM PC)
   LaserPrint

LaserPrint
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 35,
                 D-6101 Fr\"ankisch Crumbach, Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 6164 4044

Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Aeronomie
 Contact: Helmut Kopka
 Postal Address: Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Aeronomie
                 Katlenburg-Landau
                 D3411, Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: (47) 556-41451
 Bitnet: Mio40L@Dgogwd01

TeXsys
 Contact: Joachim Schrod
 Postal Address: Kranichweg 1
                 D-6074 R\"odermark
                 Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 6074 1617

--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (03/19/90)

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:

>I tried to install a DVI to Kyocera F-2010 converter on a friends machine
>today which did not work.

>First I used the hp LaserJet+ emulation of the Kyocera in conjunction
>with Bebee's dvijep converter. The result was quit strange, after
>every word the Kyocera inserted a Form-Feed. The printed words itself
>were in perfect quality. The same driver works perfectly with the
>LaserJet IIP.

You should look at the firmware-version. It is a well know problem
of older firmware revisions! Especially the old F1010 has this
problem, the F1010 has never got a new release without this problem.
I don't know the release status of the F2010.
Our F1200's have the release 5.9-16. This release has the problem fixed!

Also it is very important to set the H5 parameter correctly, we set
it to "3" for XON/XOFF only.

>				***
>Does anybody use or have a DVI to Kyocera F-2010 converter. The Kyo has
>several emulation modes, mainly Prescribe and hp LaserJet+. He has enough
>memory to hold a full-page 300 dpi graphic.
>				***

We use it in HP Laserjet Mode, i have modified Beebe's DVI-Jet, so that it
downloads the fonts prior to the page, and also to reverse the ordering
of the pages, due to the face-down stacker.
But with 5.9-16 it should work with the original Beebe driver. I use
the modified version because of an old F1010 we have to support.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            DFN:     k2@t30.physik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Bayerisches Hochschulnetz: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de