[comp.text.tex] Where to get LaTex for PC?

vernard@prism.gatech.EDU (Vernard Martin) (03/05/90)

I have been doing LaTeX for a while now but it has become difficult to get
To a workstation that has a bitmapped display so that I can REALLY preview
my documents (I don't like dvi2tty that much). I recently acquired a COMPAQ
SLT286 with a 20 meg HD and a VGA display. I was wondering if there were any
Public Domain LaTeX or TeX versions for an IBMPC. If not public domain, then
where can I purchase I version. I have heard of PD versions for the Mac (OzTex)
but I have even less access to Macs!  Posting your answers might be a good idea
as I am sure that there are others who are in my same predicament.
Thanks in advance.
V. Martin
--
Vernard Martin (ICS Computer Operator )
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!vernard

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (03/06/90)

In article <6648@hydra.gatech.EDU> vernard@prism.gatech.EDU (Vernard Martin) writes:
->I have been doing LaTeX for a while now but it has become difficult to get
->To a workstation that has a bitmapped display so that I can REALLY preview
->my documents (I don't like dvi2tty that much). I recently acquired a COMPAQ
->SLT286 with a 20 meg HD and a VGA display. I was wondering if there were any
->Public Domain LaTeX or TeX versions for an IBMPC. If not public domain, then
->where can I purchase I version. I have heard of PD versions for the Mac (OzTex)
->but I have even less access to Macs!  Posting your answers might be a good idea
->as I am sure that there are others who are in my same predicament.

There is a great deal of public domain TeX software available from
Jon Radel:
Radel
 Contact: Jon Radel
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 2276
                 Reston, VA 22090
 Notes: Software is distributed on 5.25" 360K floppy disks. For floppies
        sent with a return mailer, there is a charge of $1.50/floppy
        U.S. orders, $2/floppy elsewhere. For orders where floppies
        are supplied by Jon Radel, there is a charge of $5/floppy
        for U.S., Mexican and Canadian orders, $6/floppy elsewhere.

--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

lbilccss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Bilker) (03/06/90)

Where can I get a copy of LaTeX by ftp?  I need all the necessary files
for processing, previewing, and printing LaTeX Documents.

		Thanks in advance
		     Larry

Lawrence A. Bilker                 		US-MAIL:
Internet: lbilccss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      	University of Rochester
Bitnet: LBIL_SS@UORDBV     			River Station
UUCP: {cmcl2!decvax!}!rochester!ur-cc!lbilccss	P.O. Box 29689
AT&T: 716/274-3474				Rochester, NY  14627-5689

GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) (03/06/90)

In article <6648@hydra.gatech.EDU>, vernard@prism.gatech.EDU (Vernard Martin)
says:

>I recently acquired a COMPAQ
>SLT286 with a 20 meg HD and a VGA display. I was wondering if there were any
>Public Domain LaTeX or TeX versions for an IBMPC.
     The SIMTEL archives have two PD TeXs, one is called SBTeX, the other
PXTeX.  They take up about 4.5 Mb on the hard disk, but seem to do a
commendable job.  The PCTeX includes LaTeX - don't know about SBTeX.
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

soulard@corto.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) (03/20/90)

	Stephen McGrath said LaTeX for PC is available on eedsp.gatech.edu via
ftp, but I don't have its ftp number.

	Could somebody email it me ?

			Herve.

smg@eedsp.eedsp.gatech.edu (Stephen McGrath) (03/22/90)

I posted a week or so ago to the effect that a collection of public
domain packages for TeX for the PC were available by anonymous ftp
from eedsp.gatech.edu. Several people have sent me comments and
suggestions, so here are responses to some of the more common ones.

Several people have had difficulty getting to the stuff,
so here are the details:

ftp to eedsp.gatech.edu (128.61.2.1)
give a username of anonymous
use your username as a password
change directory to pub/TeX (cd pub/TeX)
get the file "readme.tex"; this file describes the structure and contents
of the collection.

All the files are compressed using zoo; a self-extracting archive of the
zoo programs is included in the directory pub/TeX.

The TeX, BibTeX, and tfm files are in subdirectories sbtex,bibtex,
and fonttfms resp. The macro and style files are in the inputs directory.
All of these come to just over a megabyte. The dvi driver package is in
subdirectory dvidrvrs, and also takes just over a megabyte. The fonts
subdirectory contains five archives for the cm fonts, totalling 5 megabytes,
and three for the am fonts, totalling just under 3 Mb.

The dvi drivers are in source form, and require a C compiler to render
them useful (executables are included for one or two of them). If I get
around to making any more of the executables, I will include them, but
I can't guarantee that any time soon.

Unfortunately, the only access to this machine is by anonymous ftp. A uucp
connection is not available.

I welcome any feedback and suggestions as to how useful this package
is, and how it might be improved. However, it is not supported by me
or by Georgia Tech, and so I cannot guarantee to respond to requests
for improvements in a timely fashion. ( I've got to work for a living,
too). I have already been told that there are newer versions of zoo
(zoo 2.01?) and SBTeX (version 29) available; I have so far been
unsuccessful in retrieving them from simtel, but as soon as I get them
I will replace the versions on eedsp.

-Stephen

--
Stephen McGrath                        School of Electrical Engineering,
smg@eedsp.gatech.edu                   Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (03/22/90)

The definitive source for public domain PC TeX-related software is
Jon Radel. His catalog which is currently 40pages long contains several
versions of TeX for the PC, device drivers, fonts, macros, TUG documents,
etc. A catalog is available by sending an envelope which can contain
10 sheets of 8.5x11 paper with adequate return postage or $2.00 (US).