[comp.text.tex] dvi files and printer drivers

suter@latcs1.oz.au (David Suter) (03/20/90)

I have tried to print dvi files produced by PCtex (on a PC) by kermit'ing
the files on to a mainframe which has a laser printer attached. All I get
is virtually blank pages with a few lines (straight lines - not text)
every now and then. On checking the dvi files produced on the PC
and on the mainframe I find that the PC files are generally longer. The
previewer (dvi2scr) on the PC "correctly" displays dvi files produced
either on the PC or on the mainframe. So - at least in some sense
the contents of the files are "equivalent". My knowledge of dvi files
is virtually nonexistent but I can imagine that two different latex programs
can produce two different but essentially equivalent dvi files. But I
am at a loss as to why the dvi files will not print the same. I suspect
the answer has something to do with a deficiency in the printer driver
causing it to fail to interpret properly the dvi file produced by the PCtex
program. Can anyone enlighten me further on the possible causes and
remedies.
(p.s. the files are not being corrupted in transfer from one machine to the
other)
d.s.

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (03/21/90)

In article <7457@latcs1.oz.au> suter@latcs1.oz.au (David Suter) writes:
>I have tried to print dvi files produced by PCtex (on a PC) by kermit'ing
>the files on to a mainframe which has a laser printer attached. All I get
>is virtually blank pages with a few lines (straight lines - not text)
>every now and then.
[stuff deleted]
>I suspect
>the answer has something to do with a deficiency in the printer driver
>causing it to fail to interpret properly the dvi file produced by the PCtex
>program. Can anyone enlighten me further on the possible causes and
>remedies.
>(p.s. the files are not being corrupted in transfer from one machine to the
>other)
>d.s.

The problem is almost definitely with the file transfer process. DVI is DVI is
DVI is DVI. An uncorrupted DVI file will be interpretable by any DVI driver
and produce more-or-less identical results (assuming of course that no funky things like \special's or device fonts
are used).

Some important questions that need answers:
 * What system are you uploading to and with what Kermit options?
 * What driver is causing the problem on the upload system?

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.

ae219dp@prism.gatech.EDU (Devon Prichard) (03/21/90)

From: dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---)

>The problem is almost definitely with the file transfer process. DVI is DVI is
>DVI is DVI. An uncorrupted DVI file will be interpretable by any DVI driver
>and produce more-or-less identical results (assuming of course that no funky things like \special's or device fonts
>are used).

I'm not sure about this.  I LaTeX-ed a file on hydra.gatech.edu (a Sequent
unix box) and FTP'd the file to a CYBER 855 running NOS 2.  I then
tried to print the file to a Xerox laserprinter in Epic format (there
is a utility to convert dvi to Epic).  The converter didn't understand
the "version" of dvi the file was written in!!  the LaTeX on the
Sequent is much more recent than that on the CYBER, as far as I know.

 | Devon Prichard             making the world safe for helicopters ... |
 | ae219dp@prism.gatech.edu                                             |

jjsf@gmv.es (Julio Sanchez) (03/21/90)

In article <5224@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) writes:
>In article <7457@latcs1.oz.au> suter@latcs1.oz.au (David Suter) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>
>The problem is almost definitely with the file transfer process. DVI is DVI is
>DVI is DVI. An uncorrupted DVI file will be interpretable by any DVI driver
>and produce more-or-less identical results (assuming of course that no funky things like \special's or device fonts
>are used).
Well DVI is DVI, more or less. On VAX/VMS, for instance, DVI files
are organised in fixed-size records (512 bytes, I think) for
the sake of efficiency. So transferring DVI files from a PC to a
VMS system may be non-trivial.

I would appreciate input from people who are doing this. The
same goes for font files.

Julio Sanchez                            Ph. +34 1 534 30 04
Grupo de Mecanica del Vuelo, S.A. (GMV)  Fax +34 1 533 32 50
Cristobal Bordiu, 35                     Telex  48487 GMEV E
E-28003 MADRID                           jsanchez@gmv.es
SPAIN                                    mcsun!gmv.es!jsanchez@uunet.uu.net
                                         uunet!mcsun!gmv.es!jsanchez

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (03/22/90)

In article <7294@hydra.gatech.EDU> ae219dp@prism.gatech.EDU (Devon Prichard) writes:
>From: dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---)
>>The problem is almost definitely with the file transfer process. DVI is DVI is
>>DVI is DVI. An uncorrupted DVI file will be interpretable by any DVI driver
>>and produce more-or-less identical results (assuming of course that no funky things like \special's or device fonts
>>are used).
>I'm not sure about this.  I LaTeX-ed a file on hydra.gatech.edu (a Sequent
>unix box) and FTP'd the file to a CYBER 855 running NOS 2.  I then
>tried to print the file to a Xerox laserprinter in Epic format (there
>is a utility to convert dvi to Epic).  The converter didn't understand
>the "version" of dvi the file was written in!!  the LaTeX on the
>Sequent is much more recent than that on the CYBER, as far as I know.

Unless your Cyber TeX is VERY old (around ten years old or so), this is not
going to be a problem. The DVI format has been unchanged for a damned long
time. There is a variant version of TeX, TeX-XeT which produces a slightly
modified DVI file (DVI version 3) but it's not very widely used.

The first piece of data in the DVI file is the dvi_preamble command which
contains in it a version number. If your data transer process corrupts the
x'02 which is in the second byte or so, you've got a problem.

Another thing which can happen (I just remembered this now) is that on one
system (I forget which) DVI files and other TeX binaries have their length
encoded into them at the beginning (NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY), which can
cause problems. This may be on the Data General, but I forget.
-dh
--

In article <1626@colon.gmv.es> jjsf@colon.UUCP (Julio Sanchez) writes:
>I said:
>>The problem is almost definitely with the file transfer process. DVI is DVI is
>>DVI is DVI. An uncorrupted DVI file will be interpretable by any DVI driver
>>and produce more-or-less identical results (assuming of course that no funky things like \special's or device fonts
>>are used).
>Well DVI is DVI, more or less. On VAX/VMS, for instance, DVI files
>are organised in fixed-size records (512 bytes, I think) for
>the sake of efficiency. So transferring DVI files from a PC to a
>VMS system may be non-trivial.

This is why I wanted to know the systems involved in the process. MS-DOS and
Unix are rare exceptions to the general rule of file systems mucking about
with data. On VMS, the trick to effective data conversions is to use EDIT/FDL
to adjust the definitions (assuming that the data was at least transferred
into 512-byte records). VMS programs which read TeX binaries assume that the
data may have trailing 0s on the final record.

The best solution is to just not transfer binaries.

-dh
--

tml@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (03/22/90)

In article <5259@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) writes:
>Another thing which can happen (I just remembered this now) is that on one
>system (I forget which) DVI files and other TeX binaries have their length
>encoded into them at the beginning (NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY), which can
>cause problems. This may be on the Data General, but I forget.

I used this method when I ported TeX to the HP1000 some six years ago.
It has a really braindead file system, and this was a trick I
considered necessary.  Of course, the HP1000 port is very obsolete by
now.  (I must admit that the Pascal/1000 compiler did compile TeX
without problems, you can't say the same of many Unix Pascal
compilers.)
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland