Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 23:26 EST
From: "Robert S. Smith" <RSSMITH%MIAVX1.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeX & SUN 386i

I would like to make contact with someone who is doing TeX on a SUN 386i.  In
particular I would like to know this systems virtues and its warts.  Thank
you.

Robert S. Smith

 |\      /||        | Robert S. Smith, Ph.D., Associate Professor
 | \    / ||        | Department of Mathematics & Statistics, Miami University
 |  \  /  ||        | Oxford, OH 45056-1641, U. S. A., RSSMITH@MIAVX1.BITNET
 |   \/   | \______/  O: (513) 529-3556, H: (513) 523-3895
      Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall not be disappointed!

Date:  Mon, 12 Mar 90 22:38:49 EST
From: FDIZ%SUVM@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: LaTeX tables

I am using Latex and would really appreciate it if someone could
tell me how to do tables in `landscape format'.
Thanks.

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 90 10:59 MET
From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Problem with PSdvi

    Hi,

        We're using Andrew Trevorrows PSdvi to print TeX on Postscript
        LN03S printers. We've encountered a problem with the handling
        of \special's.
        One of our users has a PostScript file with a bitmap in it.
        When he prints this file on a PostScript printer he get's the
        figure he wants on paper, but when he includes this file in a
        in a TeX-document, using the \special command (\special{file.ps})
        the text is put on paper correctly, but the contents of the included
        file disappear. They DO appear in the output from PSdvi though.
        What is happening here and how can I solve it?

        Please answer directly to me and I'll summarize for the list.

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl
%----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-mail was :
    EARN/BITnet : BRAAMS@HLSDNL5   UUCP        : hp4nl!dnlunx!johannes
    SURFnet     : DNLTS::BRAAMS    INTERnet    : BRAAMS%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
 PSS (DATAnet1) : +204 1170358::BRAAMS

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 09:15:21 MET
From: Renzo Beltrame <BELTRAME%ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Change file for VM/CMS

Does anyone developed CHANGE-FILE for IBM VM/CMS and TeX 3.0?
Thanks, Beltrame

Date:  Fri, 16 Mar 90 12:50:22 +0200
From: Malki Cymbalista <VUMALKI%WEIZMANN@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeX for X-Windows

Does anybody know where I can get a version of TeX that runs under
X-windows?  Specifically, we want to run TeX on our IBM mainframe
operating under VM/CMS and preview the output on a workstation
(say Apollo) that is running X-11 windows.  We can do this with graphic
applications (run on the IBM and display on the Apollo) and were wondering
if we could do the same with Tex.
Any help will be appreciated.
Malki

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 10:03:04 EST
From: guy@phy.duke.edu (Guy Metcalfe)
Subject: Putting Postscript Bitmaps Into LaTeX Documents

   Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 17:37:19 EST
   From: sdm@cs.brown.edu

   I'm having trouble putting bitmaps into latex documents.  The bitmaps are
   X11 window dumps, which I create as follows:

The following note is from Scott Robinson about his psprep system,
which does what you want.  In particular as one of his examamples he
includes an X11 screendump in a LaTeX paper.  Hope this helps.

	Guy Metcalfe
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	guy@phy.duke.edu
	& Center for Nonlinear Studies		guy@physics.phy.duke.edu
	Durham, N.C.      27706			guy%phy.duke.edu@cs.duke.edu

%-----
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 89 22:44:04 EDT
From: Scott H. Robinson <shr@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu>
To: guy@physics.phy.duke.edu
Subject: Figprep Update

A new version of figprep is available for anonymous ftp. If you do not have
lib/tex/macdict/macdict68.ps, then you will probably want to get the new
version (version 5.1). Improvements include:
	- documentation enhancments (and documentation LaTeX source which I
	  did not always distribute before)
	- support for Macintosh files generated with the LaserPrep5.2
	  dictionary
	- directions for getting the DVI to PostScript filter compatible
	  with figprep(1)
	- added side-effects that overcome many of the problems associated
	  with queuing files using the CAP software (Columbia Apple Printing
	  which permits queuing of files from your Ethernet host to
	  Appletalk-connected printers.)

Directions for anonymous ftp are included below.

The file psprep.tar.Z (Prepare PostScript figures for insertion in TeX/LaTeX
documents) is available for anonymous ftp.  Be sure to set the file transfer
type to binary.  If you don't have compress(1), I can provide an uncompressed
version of the tar file. The session will look something like (where what you
type is delimited by '<' and '>'):

	% <ftp a.gp.cs.cmu.edu>		# 128.2.242.7     a.gp.cs.cmu.edu
	ftp: user: <anonymous>
	ftp: passwd: <anonymous>
	ftp: <binary>			#set file transfer type to ``binary''
	ftp: <cd /usr/shr/ftp>
	ftp: <get psprep.tar.Z>
	ftp: <bye>

Then to unpack the file:

	uncompress psprep.tar.Z
	mkdir psprep
	cd psprep
	tar xf ../psprep.tar

Then read DISTNOTES, NOTICE, and README before doing anything else.

It was written to massage PostScript files into a format compatible with
Beebe's DVI to PostScript driver.  Follow the directions in
/usr/shr/ftp/dvistat/dvistat.ps to get this DVI driver family.  This is not to
say, however, that the package can't be used with other text processing
systems; it may get you 99% of the way.

Scott H. Robinson	 		ECE Department
(412) 268-6639				Carnegie Mellon University
ARPANET: shr@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu	Pittsburgh, PA. 15213   U.S.A.
UUCP: {...decvax}!vax135!ucbvax!shr@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 16:12 MET
From: DAVID%HLERUL59.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Rotated cmr10 font

Some LaTeXer asked me about a rotated computer modern font a year or so ago,
just like you did in Texhax #31. Then I thought about it and came up with
a solution I will describe below. It is not at all LaTeX-style because I
don't like it, but it should work in LaTeX as well.

Since TeX is deviced for putting characters horizontally together, and
boxes either horizontally of veritcally, there is a solution to your
problem, but it's not gonna be an easy one. First of all, you have to
create a rotated font, say cmrr10 (comp. mod. roman rotated 10). If
you have MetaFont this can be easily done by making two short files.
One is called `rotatedrm.mf' and looks like this:
%---------------------------- Top of file ------------------------

let old_font_setup = font_setup;

def font_setup = old_font_setup;
 def t_ = transformed currenttransform enddef;
 currenttransform := currenttransform rotated 90;
enddef;

%--------------------------- End of file ---------------------------
The other file that does the job is called `cmrr10.mf' and its contents are
%--------------------------- Top of file ---------------------------

% cmrr10 computer modern roman rotated 10 pt, by David van Leeuwen

if unknown cmbase: input cmbase; fi
input rotatedrm;
input cmr10; % for cmtir10 one should say here: `input cmti10;', etc.

%--------------------------- End of file ---------------------------
Now you can run MetaFont and say `\mode=locafont; input cmrr10' on the
double-star prompt, and the correct font should be made. Now you still need
a set of macros that will typeset a word vertically. You have to use the normal
horizontal .tfm information, since there is only one horizontal
distance defined and two vertical distances. My solution was to include a
file `vertical.tex' somewhere in your TeX source that looks like this:
%--------------------------- Top of file --------------------------

\font\rrm = cmrr10

\newbox\vertbox \newdimen\xwd % extra width

\def\vertical#1{\bgroup\setbox\vertbox=\vbox{}\xwd=-\maxdimen\vert#1\end\endd}

\def\vert#1#2\endd{\ifx\end#1\finishvert\else\addvert{#1}\vert#2\end\endd\fi}

\def\addvert#1{\setbox0=\hbox{\rrm #1}\ifnum\xwd<\ht0 \xwd=\ht0 \fi
 \ht0=\wd0 \wd0=\dp0 \dp0=0pt % rotate the tfm information
 \setbox\vertbox=\vbox{\box0\nointerlineskip\unvbox\vertbox}}

\def\finishvert{\hbox{\kern\xwd\box\vertbox}\egroup}

%----------------------------- End of file ---------------------------
Now you will have the macro `\vertical' that will typeset its argument
vertically. Thus `\vertical a' will result in a `a' on lying on its left side,
and `\vertical{word}' will put `word' up, lying on the w's left side.

This macro will skip spaces, so you can't typeset sentences with it unless
you change the macro definition or write another that puts words together
to sentences. Note that in figures one often wants to add sub- or superscipts
to a text, which is quite impossible if you solve the problem this way.
This macro, then, was developed for someone who used it in fancy tables.

I hope that this solution is satisfactory in some kind,

David van Leeuwen, david@hlerul59.bitnet

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 16:45 MET
From: "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_Braams%pttrnl.nl@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: LaTeX and fonts

    Hi,

        Did you ever need a bold sans seriff font in LaTeX? Or any other
        CM-font that isn't normally available in LaTeX?

        Adding a font to LaTeX, and doing it in such a way that it changes
        size automatically, so that you don't need a different command for
        each point-size you want to have the font available in looks like
        a hard job. At first sight parts of lfonts.tex have to be redone.

        The style-file sfb.sty, which is included at the bottom of this
        message adds the command \sfb to LaTeX. It also takes care of
        redefinig internal LaTeX-commands to guarantee that \Large has
        the same effect on \sfb as it has on \sf.

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams
E-mail was :
    EARN/BITnet : BRAAMS@HLSDNL5   UUCP        : hp4nl!dnlunx!johannes
    SURFnet     : DNLTS::BRAAMS    INTERnet    : BRAAMS%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
 PSS (DATAnet1) : +204 1170358::BRAAMS
%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
%
% File sfb.sty
% For use with LaTeX Version 2.09 dated 13 jun 1989
% Author : J.L. Braams (JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl)
% Date   : 21 mar 1990
% Version: 1.0
%
% Please direct bug-reports and other comments to:
%        Johannes Braams
%        PTT Research Neher Laboratories
%        P.O.box 421
%        2260 AK Leidschendam
%        The Netherlands
%        Tel.: +3170 3325051
%        Fax : +3170 3326477
%        Net : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl
%
% This file defines a new font for LaTeX, the bold sans serif font.
% The command \sfb is defined and automatic size-changes are enable
% by adding a line of code to the commands \vpt etc. from lfonts.tex
%
% These fonts are loaded, the others are loaded on demand.
%
\font\tensfb  = cmssbx10
\font\elvsfb  = cmssbx10 \@halfmag   % bold sans serif
\font\twlsfb  = cmssbx10 \@magscale1 % bold sans serif
\font\frtnsfb = cmssbx10 \@magscale2 % bold sans serif
%\font\svtnsfb = cmssbx10 \@magscale3 % bold sans serif
%\font\twtysfb = cmssbx10 \@magscale4 % bold sans serif
%\font\twfvsfb = cmssbx10 \@magscale5 % bold sans serif
%+
%     A new family for the font
%-
\newfam\sfbfam
%+
%     and a protected font name
%-
\def\sfb{\protect\psfb}
%+
%    Size changing
%    We have to take care here, the goal is to add something to the
%    definition of commands like \vpt, \xpt, etc. In order to do this
%    the commands are redefined, in terms of themselves. To get this
%    right, the first level expansion is stored in a token register.
%    The definition for the command \psfb is also stored in a token
%    register for the same reason.
%    When the token-registers are filled the commands are redefined
%    globally, using \xdef.
%
%    First we start a group, to keep the use of the token registers local,
%    The define \vpt
%-
{\toks1={\@subfont\sfb\rm}
\toks0=\expandafter{\vpt}
\xdef\vpt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \vipt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\vipt}
\xdef\vipt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \viipt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\viipt}
\xdef\viipt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \viiipt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\viiipt}
\xdef\viiipt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \ixpt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\ixpt}
\xdef\ixpt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \xpt, from here on the contents of \toks1 will differ.
%    Also more is stored in it, apart from the definition-text of
%    \psfb
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xpt}
\toks1={{\fam\sfbfam\tensfb}\textfont\sfbfam\tensfb
    \scriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb \scriptscriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb}
\xdef\xpt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb\the\toks1}
%
%    \xipt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xipt}
\toks1={{\fam\sfbfam\elvsfb}\textfont\sfbfam\elvsfb
    \scriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb \scriptscriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb}
\xdef\xipt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb\the\toks1}
%
%    \xiipt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xiipt}
\toks1={{\fam\sfbfam\twlsfb}\textfont\sfbfam\twlsfb
    \scriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb \scriptscriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb}
\xdef\xiipt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb\the\toks1}
%
%    \xivpt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xivpt}
\toks1={{\fam\sfbfam\frtnsfb}\textfont\sfbfam\frtnsfb
    \scriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb \scriptscriptfont\sfbfam\tensfb}
\xdef\xivpt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb\the\toks1}
%
%    \xviipt, from now on the fonts are loaded on demand
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xviipt}
\toks1={\@getfont\psfb\sfbfam\@xviipt{cmssbx10\@magscale3}}
\xdef\xviipt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \xxpt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xxpt}
\toks1={\@getfont\psfb\sfbfam\@xxpt{cmssbx10\@magscale4}}
\xdef\xxpt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    \xxvpt
%
\toks0=\expandafter{\xxvpt}
\toks1={\@getfont\psfb\sffam\@xxpt{cmssbx10\@magscale5}}
\xdef\xxvpt{\the\toks0\def\noexpand\psfb{\the\toks1}}
%
%    Don't forget to close the group.
%
}

Date: 21 Mar 90 21:31:14 GMT
From: arun@usl.usl.edu (Arun Lakhotia)
Subject: Tex/LaTeX help

I have run into a problem related to TeX/LaTeX that is beyond my
present knowledge of the two softwares. I would appreciate any help I
can get.

SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM:

   I want to generate output where the \textheight of alternate pages
   is different.

   For instance: For even pages -- \textheight 9in
                     odd pages  -- \textheight 5in

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

% A .sty file with the following

  \newdimen\oddsidetextheight
  \newdimen\evensidetextheight

  \oddsidetextheight 9in
  \evensidetextheight 5in
  \@twosidetrue

%   and included the following code

     \if@twoside
       \ifodd\count\c@page
          \global\textheight\evensidetextheight
       \else
          \global\textheight\oddsidetextheight
        \fi
     \fi

%    just before the following two lines

     \global\@colht\textheight
     \endgroup

%   in \def\@outputpage extracted from latex.tex

RESULT: All pages have \textheight \evensidetextheight

The Center for Advanced Computer Studies
University of Southwestern Louisiana
Lafayette, LA 70504
(318) 231-6766

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 08:15:01 CST
From: "Erica Harris" <GA.EMH@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU>
Subject: Subequation numbering style file

Enclosed is a style option file which provides an alternative method for
subequation numbering than that previously supplied to TeXhax. I hope it proves
of some use. If you have any comments for improvements or find any bugs please
let me know.

Erica Harris                        Bitnet:    ga.emh@isumvs.bitnet
LaTeX Consultant                    Internet:  ga.emh@isumvs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University

%% FILE:   subeqn.sty
%% AUTHOR: Erica M. S. Harris
%%         Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA
%%         Bitnet:    ga.emh@isumvs.bitnet
%%         Internet:  ga.emh@isumvs.iastate.edu
%% DATE:   March 1990
%% DESCR:  A style option for use in any style. It provides three declarations
%%         for turning subequation numbering on and off and for stepping the
%%         equation number for a new set of subequations. The commands are
%%         \subequations, \nosubequations and \newsubequation respectively.
%%         These commands should only be used inside the eqnarray and equation
%%         environments and should be used at the start of the equation line
%%         from which the change should take effect. This means that, for
%%         example, \subequations could appear in one eqnarray
%%         environment and \nosubequations or \newsubequation in a subsequent
%%         one. The following code skeletons provide some illustration of the
%%         possibilities:
%%
%%         a)     \begin{eqnarray}
%%                ... \\
%%                ... \\
%%                \subequations  ... \\
%%                ... \\
%%                ... \\
%%                \nosubequations  ... \\
%%                ...
%%                \end{eqnarray}
%%
%%         b)     \begin{eqnarray}
%%                \subequations ... \\
%%                ... \\
%%                \newsubequation ... \\
%%                ... \\
%%                ...
%%                \end{eqnarray}
%%                ...
%%                \begin{equation}
%%                \nosubequations  ...
%%                \end{equation}
%%
%%
%% MODS:
%%
\newcounter{oldequation}

\def\subequations{\setcounter{oldequation}{\c@equation}%
  \setcounter{equation}{1}%
  \global\let\oldtheequation\theequation%
  \@ifundefined{chapter}%
       {\gdef\theequation{\theoldequation\alph{equation}}}
       {\gdef\theequation{\thechapter.\theoldequation\alph{equation}}}}

\def\nosubequations{\setcounter{equation}{\c@oldequation}%
  \stepcounter{equation}
  \global\let\theequation\oldtheequation}

\def\newsubequation{\stepcounter{oldequation}\setcounter{equation}{1}}

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest