[comp.text.tex] [La]TeX using PostScript and CM Fonts

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) (04/07/90)

Is there any driver available which can mix PostScript *and*
the Computer Modern Fonts ? I've seen a dvi_to_adobe driver on
the TeX tapes and it works very well with the PostScript fonts but
it still needs the CM line drawing and math symbol fonts.

Does anybody know of a driver/tfm combination which allows one to
use PostScript fonts for the text and downloads the CM fonts for
the special symbols. All I've seen can only use PostScript or CM
but not both at the same time.

Thanx,
dirk@incom.de

teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) (04/09/90)

In article <756@dksoft.incom.de> dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
>Is there any driver available which can mix PostScript *and*
>the Computer Modern Fonts ? ...

The TeXPS package by S. v. Bechtolsheim (conversion program called
dvitps) allows it to mix *any* PostScript and Metafont-generated
Fonts. The newest version is available by anonymous ftp at
arthur.cs.purdue.edu. I don't know of any mail-access, so I haven't
got this version myself yet.

Gunnar Teege   Inst. fuer Informatik, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
               PO-Box 202420, 8000 Muenchen 2,  West-Germany
teege@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de        +49 89 2105 8179
teege%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net,unido.bitnet}

eln272v@monu1.cc.monash.oz ( r lang) (04/09/90)

In article <756@dksoft.incom.de>, dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
> Is there any driver available which can mix PostScript *and*
> the Computer Modern Fonts ?
See Tomas Rokicki's dvips.
It is available for anonymous ftp from labrea.stanford.edu.
Get dvips502.tar.Z and then afm.tar.Z from directory pub.

You will also need a working VPtoVF - the source is available
as pub/tex/etc/vptovf.web and pub/tex/local/etc/vptovf.ch.
See your local TeX expert about compiling this.

I think you need a recent version of TeX which can use virtual fonts.
It works with version 2.991 here.
The most recent version 3.0 would be best.

> Does anybody know of a driver/tfm combination which allows one to
> use PostScript fonts for the text and downloads the CM fonts for
> the special symbols.
Modify lfonts.tex to use the PostScript fonts for text.
Then rebuild a special version of latex using initex and virtex.

--
Russell Lang   Email: rjl@monu1.cc.monash.edu.au   Phone: (03) 565 3460
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering