[comp.text.tex] Searching for a index file translator on VAX-VMS

wrtc@cgch.uucp (Roland Tucci) (04/09/90)

Hi,

Up to now I worked on a UN*X System, where we had several shell, awk and sed
scripts to translate the output of the /index{...} command (the file  .idx)
to a theindex environment.

We hav now to move our documentation to a VAX VMS system. We have bought
the TeX/LaTeX environment from ArborText for our VAX. Now we search a
C or FORTRAN or PASCAL program or a DCL script which converts the \indexentry
commands from .idx file to a theindex environment.

Any hints to PD or comercial programs are welcome.

Roland

Roland Tucci,c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG,R-1045.P.20,P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  UUCP:     cgch!wrtc
  Internet: cgch!wrtc@relay.EU.net                   Phone: (+41) 61 697 58 85
  BITNET:   wrtc%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet            Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr9.153906.10314@cgch.uucp> wrtc@cgch.uucp (Roland Tucci) writes:
>Up to now I worked on a UN*X System, where we had several shell, awk and sed
>scripts to translate the output of the /index{...} command (the file  .idx)
>to a theindex environment.

>We hav now to move our documentation to a VAX VMS system. We have bought
>the TeX/LaTeX environment from ArborText for our VAX. Now we search a
>C or FORTRAN or PASCAL program or a DCL script which converts the \indexentry
>commands from .idx file to a theindex environment.

>Any hints to PD or comercial programs are welcome.

The *official* program for handling indexes is makeindex by Pehong Chen and
Leslie Lamport. The current implementation is in C (there will someday be a
WEB implemenation). It may be FTP'd from ymir.claremont.edu in the directory
[anonymous.tex.utilities.makeindex]

-dh

--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.