[comp.text.tex] Spell checker for TeX and LaTeX documents.

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (04/08/90)

Is there a freely redistributable program (preferably with source
code) that will spellcheck a .tex document and not tag all the
\commands as mistakes?  If so, where can I find it?

Ben

--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  _or_  ben@ziebmef.mef.org
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen             ^^^down for repair?

"Arnold G. Gill" <GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (04/08/90)

     There is such a beast that runs under VAX/VMS, simply called SPELL.  It
works very well.  However, I don't know where you can get it from - I
`liberated' our copy from UMass.

langer@aerospace.aero.org (John V. Langer) (04/09/90)

> Is there a freely redistributable program (preferably with source
> code) that will spellcheck a .tex document and not tag all the
> \commands as mistakes?  If so, where can I find it?

There is a program called "detex" that removes TeX/LaTeX contstructs
from a file.  You can use this program as a preprocessor to your
favorite spell-checking program.  E.g. on a Unix system you might
type

      detex foo.tex | spell

graaf@unc.cs.unc.edu (Kees de Graaf) (04/09/90)

>There is a program called "detex" that removes TeX/LaTeX contstructs
>from a file.  You can use this program as a preprocessor to your
>favorite spell-checking program.  E.g. on a Unix system you might ... etc..

Be aware of the fact that Detex contains some bugs, though. Among other
things, it screws-up words containing the \- hyphenation mark.

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr8.025222.27677@contact.uucp> ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng)
writes:

> Is there a freely redistributable program (preferably with source
> code) that will spellcheck a .tex document and not tag all the
> \commands as mistakes?  If so, where can I find it?

The obvious choice (okay, I'm biased) is ispell, which is available from the
osu-cis archives and (I think) from uunet.  Ispell recognizes the ".tex"
suffix and has some primitive detex support built in.  It also comes with
a nice (I'm told) emacs interface.  Make sure you get the two patches;
when you're done with installation, you should have version 2.0.02, May
1987 Beta posting.

	Geoff Kuenning	geoff@la.locus.com	geoff@ITcorp.com