[comp.text.tex] Query: Drawing Package for PC

yeung@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Dit-yan Yeung) (04/11/90)

I am looking for a high-quality object-based (not pixel-based) drawing
package (similar to FrameMaker on SUNs, for example) for use on my 386
with LaTeX.  Pointers on where I can get the corresponding device
driver for HP LaserJet II are also greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Regards,

Dit-yan Yeung
Computer Science Department
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, Illinois 60616-3793
(312)567-5167

pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip H. Dye) (04/11/90)

We have three packages here which support LaTeX pictures:

TeXdraw:

    platform(s) :   X10 (or X11 using X10toX11)

    output      :   LaTeX native picture environment

                    - objects are restricted to sizes/orientations
                      that LaTeX can handle
LaGrafix:

    platform(s) :   Macintosh

    output      :   LaTeX native picture environment

                    - objects are restricted to sizes/orientations
                      that LaTeX can handle

Fig:

    platform(s) :   X11, SunTools, CMU Andrew Window Manager

    output      :   custom fig file format

                    -  psfig includes tools to convert from fig output
                       file to various latex picture environments.

| Philip H. Dye                   | Internet:   pd1h@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Physics & Mathematics           |     UUCP:   psuvax1!andrew.cmu.edu!pd1h  |
| Carnegie Mellon University      |   Bitnet:   pd1h%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb   |
|---------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
| P.O. Box 190, CMU               | Network support of remote authentication |
| Pittsburgh, PA 15213            | using any form of transmitted key is     |
| (412) 683-3728                  | insecure.         - Random DOD Document  |

beck@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (04/11/90)

In article <Aa8hv4_00XcL00SpgQ@andrew.cmu.edu> pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip H. Dye) writes:
>We have three packages here which support LaTeX pictures:
>Fig:
>
>    platform(s) :   X11, SunTools, CMU Andrew Window Manager
>
>    output      :   custom fig file format
>
>                    -  psfig includes tools to convert from fig output
                        ^^^^^
>                       file to various latex picture environments.

A small correction: it's the TransFig package which includes tools to
convert Fig to LaTeX-compatible formats.  The formats supported are:
native LaTeX picture environment, EPIC & EEPIC extensions to La. pic. env.,
and PiCTeX.  PIC and PostScript output are also supported.

TransFig is avialable via anonymous FTP from svax.cs.cornell.edu
in ~ftp/pub/fig/transfig.tar.Z, or by mail from the archive server
at sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

Micah Beck
Cornell CS Dept.
beck@cs.cornell.edu