[comp.text.tex] Tex 3.0 and dvi drivers

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (04/11/90)

Will existing .dvi drivers work with TeX 3.00? Considering the great
number (and complexity in the case of screen previewers) it is going to
be a long time to change them if needed.

Doug McDonald

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (---) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr11.134543.23736@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>Will existing .dvi drivers work with TeX 3.00? Considering the great
>number (and complexity in the case of screen previewers) it is going to
>be a long time to change them if needed.

TeX 3.0 generates DVI format 2 files. The TFM format has been changed but
most DVI drivers don't read TFM files and I believe that the changes won't
affect those that do in any event (since it only affects the ligature
information). This will only be an issue for fonts which use new TFM features.

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.