[net.space] Summary of net.astro responses

wls@astrovax.UUCP (11/22/83)

About a week ago I proposed a new group, net.astro, to discuss topics in and
related to astronomy.  The configuration I favored was net.astro.wizards for
expert discussion of ideas and results, net.astro for non-expert discussion,
with possibly a net.astro.amateur if amateur astronomers wanted their own
group.  I still prefer this configuration but now would prefer to call the
expert group net.astro.expert because 1) it sounds a bit less frivolous 2)
the name is one character shorter 3) the word expert seems somewhat more likely
than wizards to be understood by someone not familiar with the jargon of the
net.  Reasons 1) and 2) seem stronger to me than 3).
  I have not yet seen any response, either posted or mailed that was opposed to
the idea of an astronomy newsgroup of some sort.  However there is a cacophony
of different ideas about configuration and names. I count 6 posted responses
and 6 Emailed responses in favor of the establishment of an astronomy
newsgroup.
  The following is a summary of responses I've received by electronic mail.
I will assume that everyone has seen the posted responses.

inuxc!fred writes:

> ... I would certainly be interested in net.astro, being a semi-serious
> amateur I read everything I can get my hands on. It would be great to
> read what the "professionals" have to say to each other on the
> lastest findings in Astronomy. I would also estimate that there are
> about 6 people here at AT&T CP Indianapolis that feel the same way I do.

And last from ukc!dgd:

--
Bill Sebok	Princeton Univ. Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,kpno,princeton}!astrovax!wls