[comp.text.tex] dvipage on Silicon Graphics

sharp@usceast.UUCP (Harry Sharp) (05/09/90)

Greetings!

Here at University of South Carolina we have three Silicon Graphics
Personal Irises (4D/20s) running Irix 3.2.

We have brought TeX up on the Irises and would like to be able to
preview files.  xdvi does not work on these machines.  The systems
group at SGI doesn't quite know what to make of this and we have
given up on this approach.

We were told that dvipage, which works under SunView, might work
and be easier to port than xdvi.  Has anyone heard of this?  Does anyone
have firsthand knowledge of this?  Any ideas?

Any responses will be appreciated.  Please respond to either
sharp@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu or bill@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu.

Thanks.

Harry Sharp
Department of Mathematics

        USMail : Dept of Computer Science, USC, Columbia, SC 29208
        E-mail : gatech!hubcap!usceast!sharp    sharp@cs.scarolina.edu
GO COCKS!	You can't lick our cocks!	Univ. of South Carolina

sgf@cs.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (05/09/90)

In article <3242@usceast.UUCP> sharp@usceast.UUCP (Harry Sharp) writes:
>Greetings!
>We have brought TeX up on the Irises and would like to be able to
>preview files.

One of our grad students hacked up a previewer using dviterp.c (a tex
interpreter/previewer) and some homebrewed display stuff using gl's
defrasterfont() to translate the pxl to sgi_font for previewing.

As it says in defrasterfont.z: "The hardest part of creating a new
raster font is generating a bit map for each character."

If there's enough interest I'll bug him to post it.

sgf@cfm.brown.edu
_/**/Sam_Fulcomer