[comp.text.tex] Writing down music with

vandam@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Hans van Dam) (05/31/90)

Hello out there,

I was wondering if anybody has a (La)TeX environment to write down music.
If you know someone else I am interested too.

Hans van Dam
PTT-Research Dr. Neher Laboratories
P.O.Box 421
2260 AK  Leidschendam
Holland
mail: JR_vanDam@pttrnl.nl

smagt@fwi.uva.nl (Patrick van der Smagt) (06/01/90)

In article <1215@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> vandam@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Hans van Dam) writes:

>I was wondering if anybody has a (La)TeX environment to write down music.
>If you know someone else I am interested too.

If anybody does, please post instead of mail it.  I'm interested, too.

Patrick van der Smagt                                               /\/\
                                                                    \  /
              University of Amsterdam, Kruislaan 409,            _  \/\/  _
              NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands            | |      | |
Phone:        +31 20  525 7466                                  | | /\/\ | |
Telex:        10262 hef nl                                      | | \  / | |
Fax:          +31 20  592 5155                                  | | /  \ | |
email:        smagt@fwi.uva.nl                                  | | \/\/ | |
                                                                | \______/ |
                                                                 \________/

								    /\/\
                                                                    \  /
                                                                    /  \
                                                                    \/\/

smithda@cpsvax.tmc.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (06/02/90)

In article <1215@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> vandam@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Hans van Dam) writes:
>I was wondering if anybody has a (La)TeX environment to write down music.
>If you know someone else I am interested too.
Well, this isn't a LaTeX environment, but it is a set of TeX macros
for doing music typesetting.  The origin and history of these macros
is rather murkey (it seems they were part of a Masters project in
Germany).  In anycase, you can get MuTeX (or mtex) from
   cs.ubc.ca  (128.189.97.5)   /MuTeX      (*slow*)
   stolaf.edu (130.71.128.1)   /TeX/MuTeX

MuTeX is basically the same as the orginal mtex package.  The mtex
package only has a short document (in german) explaining its use.  The
MuTeX package includes a lengthly LaTeX document (in english) along
with information on how to fix several bugs.  While some parts of the
system are rather primitive, the two included demos are fantastic
(even more so when you keep in mind that they came from TeX).

   Dan

J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr
East Lansing, Michigan                 Usenet: uunet!frith!smithda

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.
   - Joyce Kilmer

joel@techunix.BITNET (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) (06/03/90)

In article <1215@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> vandam@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Hans van Dam) writes
:
>I was wondering if anybody has a (La)TeX environment to write down music.
>If you know someone else I am interested too.
>
>Hans van Dam
>PTT-Research Dr. Neher Laboratories
>P.O.Box 421
>2260 AK  Leidschendam
>Holland
>mail: JR_vanDam@pttrnl.nl

There's a package called MuTeX, which includes macros and fonts for type-
setting music.  What it does it does well, but it doesn't support more
than one staff.  Also, the user interface is for the birds.  The original
documentation is in German, and Jalbert@cs.ubc.ca has a version ported
to the PC for English speakers.

Hope this helps.

-Joel