[comp.text.tex] bug? in verbatimfiles.sty with LaTeX

clarke@hpdtl.HP.COM (Marc Clarke) (06/06/90)

> / hpdtl:comp.text.tex / isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) /  5:34 pm  May 16, 1990 /
> Bug, side effect, call it what you will. If you have a \verbatimfile
> as part of an item in a description environment, ie
> \begin{description}
> \item[something]
> Here it comes
> \verbatimfiles{whatever}
> \end{description}
>
> Then the first line of whatever comes out indented.
> ----------

Try:

\begin{description}
\item[something]
Here it comes
\noindent
\verbatimfiles{whatever}
\end{description}

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (06/07/90)

In article <20430001@hpdtl.HP.COM>, clarke@hpdtl.HP.COM (Marc Clarke) writes...
<< / hpdtl:comp.text.tex / isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) /  5:34 pm  May 16, 1990 /
<< Bug, side effect, call it what you will. If you have a \verbatimfile
<< as part of an item in a description environment, ie
<< \begin{description}
<< \item[something]
<< Here it comes
<< \verbatimfiles{whatever}
<< ...
<< ...
<< \end{description}

<< Then the first line of whatever comes out indented.
<< ----------

<Try:

<\begin{description}
<\item[something]
<Here it comes
<\noindent
<\verbatimfiles{whatever}
<....
<....
<\end{description}

NONONONONONONONO. \noindent should never be used by the user. A
far better plan would be to use a command that works properly.
Rainer Schoepf's verbatim.sty includes a \verbatiminput command
that handles this case properly. Get the file verbatim.readme
from [anonymous.tex.inputs.latex-contrib] on ymir.claremont.edu
to find out what files are necessary for the verbatim.sty.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         "Other people get into occupations by
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu          accident or design; but writers are born.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet                 We have to write. I have to write. I
uunet!jarthur!ymir                 could work at selling motels, or slopping
                                   hogs, for fifty years, but if someone asked
                                   me my occupation, I'd say writer, even if
                                   I'd never sold a word. Writers _write_.
                                   Other people _talk_."      -W.P. Kinsella

jenkins@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Steve Jenkins) (06/08/90)

In article <7435@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>NONONONONONONONO. \noindent should never be used by the user.

Hmmm....  Have to think about that one....  :-)

--
Steve Jenkins N6UNI			jenkins@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory	(818) 354-0162