[comp.text.tex] Proper LaTeX practices

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (06/08/90)

In article <8321@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, jenkins@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Steve Jenkins) writes...
>In article <7435@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>>NONONONONONONONO. \noindent should never be used by the user.

>Hmmm....  Have to think about that one....  :-)

There are a lot of cases along these lines. I'd like to see
someone show me a case where it is reasonable for any of the
following commands to appear outside of the definition of another
command:

\noindent
\begin{center}
\large
\hspace

(there actually are a few cases for the last two, but none
otherwise).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         "Other people get into occupations by
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu          accident or design; but writers are born.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet                 We have to write. I have to write. I
uunet!jarthur!ymir                 could work at selling motels, or slopping
                                   hogs, for fifty years, but if someone asked
                                   me my occupation, I'd say writer, even if
                                   I'd never sold a word. Writers _write_.
                                   Other people _talk_."      -W.P. Kinsella

jenkins@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Steve Jenkins) (06/08/90)

>>>NONONONONONONONO. \noindent should never be used by the user.
>
>>Hmmm....  Have to think about that one....  :-)
>
>[other stuff]

Smiley check!  I know what you *mean*, Don.  I agree with you.
The way you *said* it, on the other hand, leads to certain, uh,
logical difficulties.

--
Steve Jenkins N6UNI			jenkins@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory	(818) 354-0162