[comp.text.tex] emtex help

mathur@maui.cs.ucla.edu (mathur sharad) (06/08/90)

First of all thanks to all the people who responded to my post about
getting Latex on PC. I finally decided to get emtex from terminator.cc.umich.edu
and am very happy with the whole package. I however have a couple of questions :

1) The package includes Pictex. However there is no documentation for it - it
says that a users manual (English) can be got from Tex Users Group. Can I get
it by ftp from anyplace ?? If not - can someone tell me what this is ?? Is it
some sort of figure drawing support ??

2) The package also includes a figure drawing program called Texcad. All
documentation / error messages for this seem to be in German - which doesnt
help me too much. Is there any English version ?? If not - is there any
standard figure drwing program for DOS/OS2 which produces latex figures ??

3) I am kindof confused by the fonts. As far as I can make out the only
fonts supplies with it are 300dpi resolution. The screen previewer also
seems to use these. How can a screen display use 300dpi fonts ?? I thought
standard vga/ega screens are much lower resolution. The previewer works pretty
well - but as you scale it down the font deteriorates pretty badly. In the
documentation he says that the best way to get more of a page on screen is
to reduce the resolution (provided I have the fonts). If this is true then
what size fonts should I be looking for ?? He also seems to have the fonts
in several different magnifications (ranging from a 1000 upwards). What
is this magnification ?? Basically if someone could explain some basics
about how fonts work ... (Or even give me a pointer to some book/document).

4) I need to get dvips. Most people have recommended dvips at labrea - but
I couldnt make out which one was for DOS. Is there any dvips for OS2 ??
Also - do I need to get any more fonts for dvips ?? Or can it make do with
the font libraries supplied with emtex ??

Thanks a lot again for all the help - I really appreciate it. I was quite
impressed with emtex basically - even a novice like me could install it in
a couple of hours !!

- Sharad
- mathur@cs.ucla.edu

kevind@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Kevin Dunphy) (06/09/90)

In article <36081@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> mathur@maui.cs.ucla.edu (mathur sharad) writes:

>1) The package includes Pictex. However there is no documentation for it - it
>says that a users manual (English) can be got from Tex Users Group. Can I get
>it by ftp from anyplace ?? If not - can someone tell me what this is ?? Is it
>some sort of figure drawing support ??
>
>- Sharad
>- mathur@cs.ucla.edu

Check out the Frequently Asked Questions list, which appeared
a few articles ahead of yours.  There is an e-mail address
and a US-Snail Mail address for the TeX Users Group, along
with a lot of other interesting answers.

Have Fun!

--
Kevin J. Dunphy
kevind@shumv1.ncsu.edu