[comp.text.tex] Block indentation in TeX

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (06/08/90)

Please excuse this, as is may be a simple question.  I've already pored over
the TeX book, and can't find the solution in plain TeX.

Assume I want to set things up so that I can say, "From this point onwards,
indent an additional 20pts".  Hoffset would do me, except that it only takes
effect at the top of the next page.  vboxes would do, excelt they can't span
pages.

Anyone else with some ideas?

basically, I want to do the equivalent of:

\hskip 20pt
\vbox{ possibly a LOT of text - amount unknown }

				-- Kevin --

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

The number, 111-111-1111 has been changed.  The new number is:
134-253-2452-243556-678893-3567875645434-4456789432576-385972

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.

louxj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (John W. Loux) (06/09/90)

In article <12415@cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin@cbmvax.UUCP (Kevin Klop) writes:

>Assume I want to set things up so that I can say, "From this point onwards,
>indent an additional 20pts".
[...]
>basically, I want to do the equivalent of:
>\hskip 20pt
>\vbox{ possibly a LOT of text - amount unknown }
>
>				-- Kevin --

In chapter 14 on page 100 (behind the rock and two paces two the left --- you
can't miss it. :-) there is this discussion:

``TeX has two parameters called \leftskip and \rightskip that specify glue to
be inserted at the left and right of every line in a paragraph;  this glue is
taken into account when badness amd demerits are computed.  Plain TeX normally
keeps \leftskip and \rightskip zero, but it has a `\narrower' macro that
increases both of their values by the current \parindent.  You may want to use
\narrower when quoting lengthy passages from a book.

	{\narrower\smallskip\noindent
	This paragraph will have narrower lines than
	the surrounding paragraphs do, because it
	uses the ``narrower'' feature of plain \TeX.
	The former margins will be restored after
	this group ends.\smallskip}

(Try it.)  The second `\smallskip' in this example ends the paragraph.
It's important to end the paragraph before ending the group, for
otherwise the effect of \narrower will disappear before TeX begins to choose
line breaks.''

John W. Loux
Solve and Integrate Corp.
louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (06/09/90)

In article <18811@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> louxj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (John W. Loux) writes:
(And many other people wrote as well...)

My problem with indentation....

Thank you all.  I don't know how I missed it, but I did, and I am
feeling properly ashamed of myself. *sigh*

				-- Kevin --

Sometimes known as: