[comp.text.tex] TeX 3.0 and Unix

zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu (david d [zoo] zuhn) (06/06/90)

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen word of a Unix TeX distribution
that has been upgraded to 3.0.  But it turns out that I need to install
TeX on a new machine, and I would prefer to install 3.0 instead of 2.95.

This is for SunOS 4.1, with no pascal compiler available.  Can I just grab
the 3.0 files from labrea, or haven't the web2c change files been fixed yet?

Help, advice, suggestions welcome.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu		Automated Plate Scanner	Project

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (06/07/90)

In article <ZOO.90Jun6114000@aps1.spa.umn.edu> zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu (david d [zoo] zuhn) writes:

   I may have missed it, but I haven't seen word of a Unix TeX distribution
   that has been upgraded to 3.0.  But it turns out that I need to install
   TeX on a new machine, and I would prefer to install 3.0 instead of 2.95.
you should collect
 web2c/web2c-50.0c.tar.Z
 web2c/web-5.0b.tar.Z
from labrea.stanford.edu. These are the `official' web2c distributions
for TeX 3.00. Yes, you did miss the announcement....

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

isaac@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) (06/12/90)

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:

>In article <ZOO.90Jun6114000@aps1.spa.umn.edu> zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu (david d [zoo] zuhn) writes:

>   I may have missed it, but I haven't seen word of a Unix TeX distribution
>   that has been upgraded to 3.0.  But it turns out that I need to install
>   TeX on a new machine, and I would prefer to install 3.0 instead of 2.95.
>you should collect
> web2c/web2c-50.0c.tar.Z
> web2c/web-5.0b.tar.Z
>from labrea.stanford.edu. These are the `official' web2c distributions
>for TeX 3.00. Yes, you did miss the announcement....

I understood the question to be a (complete) Unix Tex distribution. That is,
the entire contents of the sub-directory called pub/tex/unix, on labrea.
I just re-checked and this has not been touched since March 14, 1989.
I understand that they plan to use Imakefiles as in X as the basis for
this new distribution. As far as I know, this distribution has not been
completed. Anyone know when?