[comp.text.tex] Font testing

A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) (06/29/90)

There is a TeX file (plain) around that is called FNTBL.TEX
that does exactly what you describe. It prints a font/page
in the scheme the TeXbook does with the standard CMR10 font
somewhere in the Appendix. And then it prints a small text
(with no-math fonts, of course). Works rather well and should
be available on a TeX server near you (or isn't it even on the
standard distribution? I don't know! it just hangs there in my
TeX:inputs directory).

//konrad

 As I'm not working for anybody, I can't be representing their opinion!
  Konrad Neuwirth                   Earn/BitNet: a4422dae@awiuni11
  Postfach 646                      VoiceNet: KONRAD!!!!!!(louder).
  1100 Wien, Austria (Europe)       Bloody BIX is too expensive.

melvin@amun.cgd.ucar.edu (Lee Melvin) (06/30/90)

In article <9006290858.AA13864@jade.berkeley.edu> A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) writes:
}There is a TeX file (plain) around that is called FNTBL.TEX
}that does exactly what you describe. It prints a font/page
}in the scheme the TeXbook does with the standard CMR10 font
}somewhere in the Appendix. And then it prints a small text
}(with no-math fonts, of course). ...

You are exactly right.  I fiddled through the TeX distribution and found
it in some bizarre directory - don't remember quite which one - but it
will suit my purpose admirably.
Thanks for the tip.

	- Lee

--
/~~~ melvin@ncar.ucar.edu,melvin@snoopy.colorado.edu,melvin@boulder.bitnet ~~~\
| Lee Melvin | _Total Recall_ - Arnold Schwartzenegger, Sharon Stone, ILM, \| |

dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (06/30/90)

In article <9006290858.AA13864@jade.berkeley.edu>, A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) writes...
>There is a TeX file (plain) around that is called FNTBL.TEX
>that does exactly what you describe. It prints a font/page
>in the scheme the TeXbook does with the standard CMR10 font
>somewhere in the Appendix. And then it prints a small text
>(with no-math fonts, of course). Works rather well and should
>be available on a TeX server near you (or isn't it even on the
>standard distribution? I don't know! it just hangs there in my
>TeX:inputs directory).

The standard file along these lines is testfont.tex. It is part
of the standard TeX distribution and if for some reason you can't
find it, it is listed in Appendix H of the METAFONTbook.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147