[comp.text.tex] Euler Fraktur

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (06/30/90)

In article <268BE450.4FCC@intercon.com>, amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes...
>In article <7831@ncar.ucar.edu>, melvin@amun.cgd.ucar.edu writes:
>> Does anyone know of a metafont definition for Mediaeval/Old English
>> style characters?  I'd settle for pk formats in a few sizes, but I'd prefer
>> the source.

>Euler Fraktur is a quite nice German-style gothic face.  It's available
>from the AMS or via anonymous FTP from most of the standard TeX FTP sites.
>I don't think source is available, though.

PLEASE do not use this typeface for text. It is a math font. It
doesn't work properly as a text font. The results are akin to
what one gets using the math Greek to typeset Plato.

On the topic of sources, the AMS _is_ releasing sources. The
official release date is July 1, but their have been some
technical difficulties getting them onto the FTP machine. They
will also be available from ymir.claremont.edu in subdirectories
of [tex.mf.ams]. If everything is in place at the AMS, I'll have
them as soon as they do. If not, things will have to wait until
they get their act together (incidentally, the MF sources for the
Euler fonts are kind of humourous).

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147