[comp.text.tex] AMS TeX on MacIntosh ?

wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) (07/01/90)

Hi.
I (who has not used MacIntosh before) need to install TeX system for
my friend just bought a MacIntosh (I forgot the model name, but he said
it was the most expensive and best model with CPU speed 40MHz).

I learned that OzTeX is a TeX for Mac.
I ftp'ed and downloaded it to my PC  (not Mac).

Some questions.

1) What kind of things does OzTeX include ?
   AMS-TeX, LaTeX ?

2) Can Mac read PC-formatted diskettes ?

3) The files seem to be compressed. The extensiton names end with '.sit'.
   Where can I get the archive program for him ?

4) Any comments about installing OzTeX are appreciated.

Thanks.

---------
W. Jin

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (07/02/90)

In article <10944@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> wjin@cs.purdue.EDU
(Woochang Jin) writes:
>Some questions.
>
>1) What kind of things does OzTeX include ?
>   AMS-TeX, LaTeX ?
I think so.  If they're not included, only some free ascii files would be
needed.  The bulk of the OzTeX distribution is font files in various faces
and magnifications.  There's also source code in Modula-2, which probably
won't be of much use.

>2) Can Mac read PC-formatted diskettes ?
Yes, a new Mac like your friend's can, using an Apple utility called Apple
File Exchange.

>3) The files seem to be compressed. The extensiton names end with '.sit'.
>   Where can I get the archive program for him ?
You need StuffIt, a shareware program which can be ftped from
info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu and probably many other places.  (A new
commercial version, called StuffIt Deluxe, just started shipping I think.)

>4) Any comments about installing OzTeX are appreciated.
I believe it comes configured for A4 paper.  You'll probably want to change
it (by editing the file Oz.config) to use 8.5 x 11 paper.

What kind of printer does your friend have?  OzTeX itself can only print on
PostScript laser printers, but I wrote a utility to let it print on
dot-matrix printers.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com