[comp.text.tex] wordperfect -> TeX conversion

fw104@leah.Albany.Edu (Felix Wu) (07/02/90)

I am in interested in a program that will convert WordPerfect documents to TeX.
Such a program exists for T^3 but I have not encountered one that will work
with WordPerfect documents.  Any information on a pd, shareware, or commercial
program would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Felix Wu
wuf@gar.union.edu
fw104@rachel.albany.edu

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (07/04/90)

> I am in interested in a program that will convert WordPerfect
> documents to TeX.  Such a program exists for T^3 but I have not
> encountered one that will work with WordPerfect documents.  Any
> information on a pd, shareware, or commercial program would be
> appreciated.
>	Felix Wu

I don't have one.  But I whipped out a program to convert a
Volkswriter file to TeX (for a friend's thesis).  Its not hard.  Use
emacs to look at the WP file.  From that you can see what control
characters they use for various functions.

Another trick I used was to (again using emacs) edit the WP file to
put each char onto a separate line of text.  Then I ran the result
thru Un*x's "cat -v | sort -u".  I edited this file to remove the
plain characters [a-zA-Z0-9] etc.  This gave me a file with each
control character on a line.  I used it to document the purpose of the
control character.  From there writing the conversion program was a
snap.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/04/90)

In article <20100001@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes...
>> I am in interested in a program that will convert WordPerfect
>> documents to TeX.  Such a program exists for T^3 but I have not
>> encountered one that will work with WordPerfect documents.  Any
>> information on a pd, shareware, or commercial program would be
>> appreciated.
>I don't have one.  But I whipped out a program to convert a
>Volkswriter file to TeX (for a friend's thesis).  Its not hard.  Use
>emacs to look at the WP file.  From that you can see what control
>characters they use for various functions.

Here's a wonderful opportunity to point out the advantages of
being a member of the TeX Users Group. In TUGboat 10#4
(Conference Proceedings of the 1989 meeting) there is an article
by Anita Z. Hoover outlining techniques for using WP 5.0 as a
front-end to TeX. In TUGboat 10#1 there's yet another article on
the same topic. Both articles are more than just simple
conversions; they actually set things up so that WP is a friendly
front-end.

Both sets of WP macros should be available from Jon Radel who
unfortunately does not currently have net-access (any sysadmins
within reasonable phoning distance of Reston, VA care to offer
Jon a guest account?). His postal address is:
  Jon Radel
  P.O.Box 2276
  Reston, VA 22090-0276
He also has many other TeX-related items for the IBM PC.

The address for the TeX Users Group is:
  TeX Users Group
  P.O.Box 9506
  Providence, RI 02940-9506
  401-751-7760
  tug@math.ams.com

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (07/04/90)

In article <3263@leah.Albany.Edu>, fw104@leah (Felix Wu) writes:
 |I am in interested in a program that will convert WordPerfect documents to TeX.

There is a free one from the University of Eindhoven, The Netherlands. We
have it in our archive, on sol.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5], in file
pub/TEX/wp2latex.arc. It is for WP5.0. If you can't FTP, send a HELP
message to mail-server@cs.ruu.nl and follow the instructions to request
TEX/wp2latex.arc.
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (07/05/90)

In article <3562@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) writes:

>There is a free one from the University of Eindhoven, The Netherlands. We
>have it in our archive, on sol.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5], in file
>pub/TEX/wp2latex.arc. It is for WP5.0. If you can't FTP, send a HELP

This is also available a bit closer to home, on Simtel (26.2.0.74) in
directory pd1:[msdos.tex] (as a ZIP file, however).  The Simtel version
dates from around March, so it may or may not be the most up-to-date one
available.

In article <7727@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:

>Here's a wonderful opportunity to point out the advantages of
>being a member of the TeX Users Group. In TUGboat 10#4
>(Conference Proceedings of the 1989 meeting) there is an article
>by Anita Z. Hoover outlining techniques for using WP 5.0 as a
>front-end to TeX. In TUGboat 10#1 there's yet another article on
>the same topic. Both articles are more than just simple
>conversions; they actually set things up so that WP is a friendly
>front-end.

While this is undeniably an attractive capability, I think perhaps
you've missed the point of the original posting:  to someone with an
archive of old WP documents, or someone who receives WP-format docs
from a third party and must convert them to TeX, a "simple conversion"
is precisely what is desired.  (Or do these macros also do WP-to-TeX
conversions?  That wasn't clear in your posting.)

I may also be wrong about Mr. Wu's intent, but a conversion program
is all *I* wanted a few months back.  As an aside, most good programmer's
editors can also be set up as good TeX front-ends, since TeX can be
treated as just another compiler (memory constraints are occasionally
a problem, however... :) ).

Anyway, check some of the other recent postings for pointers to a WP-
to-LaTeX conversion program, at sites both US and abroad.

"Borg Borg Borg" -- the Swedish Worf