[comp.text.tex] \output in LaTeX

mathas_a@maths.su.oz.au ( Andrew ) (07/02/90)

I have some macros, which I helped write, to TeX *large* tables
(eg. character tables that extend over several pages), and
I want to use them inside LaTeX. One of the features of these
macros is that if a table goes over more than one page the
table header is automatically put at the top of the new page.
It does this with the (I think) sneaky command:
     \output={\plainoutput\TableHeader}

Question: how can I do this in LaTeX? - \plainoutput is not
          defined in LaTeX.

Will post a summary of replies. If anyone is interested in the
table macros let me know.

Andrew
--
Andrew      - smile at a stranger today and help make the world a better
                   place; while you're, at it, why not hug a friend!

guy@physics (Guy Metcalfe) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jul2.123232.29386@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> mathas_a@maths.su.oz.au ( Andrew ) writes:
>I have some macros, which I helped write, to TeX *large* tables
>(eg. character tables that extend over several pages), and
>Will post a summary of replies. If anyone is interested in the
>table macros let me know.

Interested?!  You bet.  Since constructing large multipage tables is
one of the great deficencies of TeX/LaTeX and requests asking how to
do it appear with some frequency, I think a general posting of your
macros along with some examples of their use would be well received.

--
	Guy Metcalfe
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	guy@phy.duke.edu

hf@marvin.e17.Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Hannes Faestermann) (07/05/90)

 Hi there

 mathas_a@maths.su.oz.au ( Andrew ) writes:

>I have some macros, which I helped write, to TeX *large* tables
>(eg. character tables that extend over several pages), and
>I want to use them inside LaTeX. One of the features of these
>macros is that if a table goes over more than one page the
>table header is automatically put at the top of the new page.
>It does this with the (I think) sneaky command:
>     \output={\plainoutput\TableHeader}

>Question: how can I do this in LaTeX? - \plainoutput is not
>          defined in LaTeX.
> stuff deleted

I'm using a style file called supertab.sty (with LaTeX) which allows multipage
tables with a head and a tail. The problem is I can't remember for sure where I
got this style. The most probable site is sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

As far as I tried it it does good work so you might try this one for LaTeX.

 Happy TeXing

	Hannes

Hannes Faestermann    |   Internet:
Physik-Department E17 |     H.Faestermann@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de
TU Muenchen,          |   or:
8046 Garching         |     hf@marvin[.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de]

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (07/06/90)

In article <20600@duke.cs.duke.edu> guy@physics (Guy Metcalfe) writes:

   Interested?!  You bet.  Since constructing large multipage tables is
   one of the great deficencies of TeX/LaTeX and requests asking how to
   do it appear with some frequency, I think a general posting of your
   macros along with some examples of their use would be well received.

I have much success with Theo Jurrien's `supertab.sty', revised by
Gabriele Kruljac, with LaTeX. It now understands the p parameter in
tabular, for anyone who used the first version.

I can post to people who can't locate it elsewhere

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)