[comp.text.tex] UKTeX Digest V90 #21

uktex@uk.ac.aston (07/07/90)

UKTeX V90 #21                                              Friday 6 July 1990
			     Spanish TeX?
			  TeX88 Proceedings
		   English documentation for emtex
		 Re: English documentation for emtex
			  TYPOGRAFICA FONTS
		     texbook seventeenth printing
		   RE: texbook seventeenth printing
			The TeXbook, for TeX 3
		       The TeXbook (for TeX 3)
		Use of \special to include PostScript
	      Re: Use of \special to include PostScript
			   Euler TFM files
			   Re: X previewers
		    Previewers (re: Uktex V90#20)
			    Re: Previewers
			 Porting Web,TeX etc
		   emTeX---English TeXcad document?
			     mathematics
			MSYM and AMSTeX fonts
			EDMAC discussion group
		       AMS fonts in the archive
			  TeX v3.0 and LaTeX
	      Re: Modula-2 versions of TANGLE and WEAVE?
			Real and Complex signs
		      Re: Real and Complex signs
			  TeX for Acorn R140
			Re: TeX for Acorn R140
			  TeX for Archimedes
			RE: TeX for Archimedes
Moderator:       Peter Abbott
This issue edited by David Osborne (Univ of Nottingham) <d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.c
lan>

Submissions:     uktex@uk.ac.aston
Administration:  uktex-request@uk.ac.aston

Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.UKTEX.90]
Latest TeXhax:    #50
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEXHAX.90]
Latest TeXmag:    V4 N1
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEX-MAG]
		     E D I T O R ' S   N O T E S

     Apologies for the late distribution of some of these items,
   due to a break in Aston's connection to JANET at the Manchester
    Computing Centre last week, and to system software upgrades on
    Aston's VAX cluster this week.  These events also interrupted
     access to the archive.  However, all is now back to normal.

Subject: Spanish TeX?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 90 09:37:22 BST
From: Dave Cook 4448 <CH1DBC@UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.IBM>

I have had a resquest from colleagues in Spain to get them
a TeX and LaTeX, plus a Previewer (and, I imagine, a printer
driver).
They have a Convex machine running Unix and I do not yet know
what type of display terminal they have, although this information
will be available shortly. I guess they would also like
Spanish fonts(!!).
What is the best plan to get hold of this material, please

Dave Cook (Chemistry Dept. University of Sheffield)

------------------------------

Subject: TeX88 Proceedings
Originally-sent:Fri, 29 Jun 90 13:16:07 BST
Originally-from:peter@uk.co.memex (Peter Ilieve)

Has anyone seen a copy yet? Malcolm Clark announced in UKTeX in March that
it was off to the printers and his latest TeXline says that they had
either just been sent or were about to be (I forget which and it is at
home so I can't check). I haven't seen anything yet. My TeX88 registration
used my work address, which hasn't changed, so it should get to me ok.

	Peter Ilieve		peter@memex.co.uk

------------------------------

Subject: English documentation for emtex
Originally-sent:Mon, 25 Jun 90 18:51:32 EDT
Originally-from:Paul_Abrahams <Paul_Abrahams%wayne-mts@edu.umich.cc.um>

Do you have any information on how I might get the English translation of
the documentation for emtex?  (I've been able to get the system itself.)
And do you know if V3 is out yet?  Thanks. - Paul Abrahams

------------------------------

Subject: Re: English documentation for emtex
Originally-sent:Fri, 29 Jun 90 16:22:37 bst
Originally-from:Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>

ARCHIVEGROUP@uk.ac.ASTON.VAXA writes:
 > Do you have any information on how I might get the English translation of
 > the documentation for emtex?  (I've been able to get the system itself.)
 > And do you know if V3 is out yet?  Thanks. - Paul Abrahams

a) the english documentation was placed on terminator.cc.umich.edu a
   few weeks ago, and also at Aston. I can mail a boo-encoded zip
   archive if you have problems getting it

b) no, V3 emTeX has not been released yet (that I know of!)

Sebastian Rahtz

------------------------------

Date:           Fri, 29 Jun 90   8:01 GMT
From:           EFDJ4539@UK.AC.QUEENS-BELFAST.CENTRE.VAX1
Subject:        TYPOGRAFICA FONTS

TYPOGRAFICA FONTS.
I wonder if you know of anyone who has converted the Typografica fonts for TeX?
I find that when I create an HP soft font from Typografica, the Personal TeX HP
LJ
to TeX conversion program will not work satisfactorily. Only occasionally will
it produce a .pk file, and when it does and I try to use it I get the message
"Bad .pk file".
Any help would be much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Geoffrey Hornsey.

------------------------------

Subject: texbook seventeenth printing
Originally-sent:Fri 22 Jun 90 11:56:41-EST
Originally-from:bbeeton <BNB@com.ams.math>

in uktex 90 #20, dominik inquires whether tug is selling the latest
edition (seventeenth printing) of the texbook.  alas, the seventeenth
printing probably hasn't even been printed yet!

here's what i know.  while don knuth was diligently preparing the
camera copy for the new edition, addison-wesley decided that they
were sufficiently low on reserve stock that they should reprint,
which they did, without informing don.  my memory recalls that the
print order was something like 5000 copies.  (please note that i
arrived home at 2.a.m. this morning from the tug meeting, having
suffered several unexpected delays at the hands of the airlines,
and am not entirely capable at the moment of coherent thought.)

as any commercial purveyor, a-w hates to take a loss, so they told
don that they wouldn't print from the new copy until they had sold
out their stock on the old.  that was last fall.  i haven't heard how
close they are to the day when they'll do that, and now that don is
not accepting electronic mail, it'll take some time for me to get any
information from him (though i'll inquire), and i don't think a-w is
willing to divulge the information to anyone else.

i hate to say, go out and buy the outdated edition, but unless
enough people do that, we may never see the new one.  catch-22.
						-- bb
-------
------------------------------

Subject: RE: texbook seventeenth printing
Originally-sent:Fri, 22 JUN 90 17:46:41 BST
Originally-from:Philip Taylor (RHBNC) <P.Taylor@Uk.Ac.Rhbnc.Vax>

>i hate to say, go out and buy the outdated edition, but unless
>enough people do that, we may never see the new one.  catch-22.

This might seem a silly question, but did they reprint both hardback and
paperback, or just the latter ? In which case, is there any likelyhood
that V17 will be able in h/b before the p/b edition, or are they always
kept in perfect synch ?  ** Phil.

------------------------------

Subject: The TeXbook, for TeX 3
Originally-sent:Wed, 27 Jun 90 18:16:39 +0100
Originally-from:Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@uk.ac.ucl>

Here is what I have been able to find out about the TeXbook's latest
printings.

I finally contacted Addison-Wesley in Reading, MA, and they said
that the hardback was already selling in its tenth printing.  Since
Knuth said that the TeX 3 stuff would appear in the ninth printing,
that sounds good.  Except I have only seen the eighth printing in
UK bookshops.  (Anyone more up to date?  I don't go near Heffers.)

Regarding the paperback, AW told me that the seventeenth printing would
begin to be available in early July, and that I could fax them an order
then.  Knuth said that TeX 3 stuff would appear first in the seventeenth
printing.

The problem is, as Knuth said and Barbara kindly confirmed, that AW
had printed 5000 copies of the sixteenth printing just at the time
that Knuth sent them the changes.  So those 5000 copies had to be
sold before the new printing could be released.

Dominik

------------------------------

Originally-sent:Fri, 29 Jun 90 10:51:07 +0100
Originally-from:Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@uk.ac.ucl>

OK everyone, here is a final (I hope) piece of information.  Apparently,
although Addison-Wesley say they will only be publishing the
17th printing of the paperback of the TeXbook in July, it is already
available for sale from TUG.  Karen Butler was kind enough to
confirm for me that TUG can supply the TeXbook -- describing TeX 3 --
in paperback (17th printing) or hardback.  Paperback is $29 plus $8 postage.
MasterCard and Visa cards accepted.  Contact Karen on KLB@com.ams.seed .

Dominik

------------------------------

Subject: Use of \special to include PostScript
Originally-sent:Fri, 22 Jun 90 22:44 GMT
Originally-from:Stephen Gilmore <EFIA4580@UK.AC.QUEENS-BELFAST.CENTRE.VAX1>

Dear archivists,

Could someone knowledgeable in PostScript please tell me how to modify
the following PostScript text (generated by Silicon Beach's Mac
application SuperPaint) so that it can be included in a \special in a
LaTeX document.

The PostScript is a diagram of a robot arm, a conveyor belt and a
pallet.  It is 6cms high and sits at the top of an A4 page.
Unfortunately, it causes the LaserWriter to eject the page before
printing the LaTeX generated "Figure 1:" caption and the rest of the
text on the page.  How can I prevent this and keep the diagram and the
text on the same page?

The PostScript follows:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Title: Unspecified
%%Creator: SuperPaint
%%CreationDate: Friday, June 22, 1990
%%Pages: (atend)
%%BoundingBox: ? ? ? ?
%%PageBoundingBox: 28 30 588 844
%%For:
%%IncludeProcSet: "(AppleDict md)" 68 0
%%EndComments
%%EndProlog
%%BeginDocumentSetup
md begin

[ ...approx 200 lines of PostScript deleted  -Ed.]

161 94 gm
-0.27217 0.(arm)ashow
75 72 div dup scale
F T cp
Thanks,

Stephen Gilmore.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Use of \special to include PostScript
Originally-sent:Sun, 24 Jun 90 15:16:36 BST
Originally-from:spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs

ARCHIVEGROUP@uk.ac.ASTON.VAXA writes:

 > Could someone knowledgeable in PostScript please tell me how to modify
 > the following PostScript text (generated by Silicon Beach's Mac
 > application SuperPaint) so that it can be included in a \special in a
 > LaTeX document.
I have wrestled with PostScript output from things like Superpaint and
Macdraw before now, and its always a pain. Let's just face the fact
that they don't produce decent Encapsulated PS. One solution is to
read the file into something that *does* obey the rules, like
Pagemaker, and export a file from there.

Your quoted PS is not possible to diagnose, because you omit the
necessary `appledict' set of procedures which this code relies upon.

Sebastian Rahtz

------------------------------

Subject: Euler TFM files
Originally-sent:Sat, 23 Jun 90 00:25:20 BST
Originally-from:George Russell <GER11@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX>

I see that the TFM files and the PK300 files for the Euler fonts (excepting
EUEX9 and EUEX10) appear to suffer from the following problems:

(1) The VMS file transfer can't cope with the TFM files (and complains about
    record formats);
(2) Each has characters missing in the other.

Could this be fixed please? Thank you.

------------------------------

Subject:        Re: X previewers
Originally-sent:Mon, 25 Jun 90 10:13:05 MET DST
Originally-from:Keizer E G <keie@nl.vu.cs>

We have been using texx2 since october last year and are very satisfied.
I recompiled all tex fonts with metafont and converted them to
X fonts. I have version '9' of texx2. It was present on
a.cs.uiuc.edu and expo.lcs.mit.edu last september.

Ed Keizer

------------------------------

Subject: Previewers (re: Uktex V90#20)
Originally-sent:Mon, 25 Jun 90 9:36:59 BST
Originally-from:Dr R M Damerell (RHBNC) <damerell@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay>

Our situation is: sun 3/60, 4MB memory, SUN-OS3.5, we use dvipage which is
a suntools previewer   written by N.Hunt at Schlumberger. This is SUN
specific, but it gives this performance:
From initial command to diaplaying first page :  1.5 sec.
Goto page 100 or so:    10 pages per sec.

File space: dvipage needs 1.5 MB for fonts and about 0.5 MB for software,
including source.

Disadvantages: The version that we have cannot handle graphics inserts. Also
it is SUN specific. I should say that this version is > a year old.

Can any of the X previewers match this performance?   Mark

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Previewers
Originally-sent:Mon, 25 Jun 90 11:12:52 bst
Originally-from:Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>

ARCHIVEGROUP@uk.ac.ASTON.VAXA writes:
 > Our situation is: sun 3/60, 4MB memory, SUN-OS3.5, we use dvipage which is
 > Can any of the X previewers match this performance?   Mark

just load up SUNOS 4.1 and watch it grind, let alone X....

sebastian

------------------------------

Subject:  Porting Web,TeX etc
Date:     Mon, 11 Jun 90 10:24:29 BST
From:     WWSYSTS@UK.AC.Manchester-Computing-Centre.CMS
MyName:   MCC Systems Group (uk-061-275-6051)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but it's the only address I have
at the moment.

I am looking into the possibility of porting TeX + associated utilities
onto our UTS system. After looking at the sources available from Aston I
am unsure of the best way to approach the problem.  UTS is a System V
compatible Unix system and we have both C and Pascal compilers.  The Pascal
is to ISO standard level 1.  Should I go for the Pascal route or the C
route - I would prefer to stay as close to the offical releases as possible
to keep maintenance simple.

Geoff. Lane.
UTS Sys Admin
mcc

------------------------------

Date: Mon,11 Jun 90 15:18:32 BST
From: D.Eckersley@uk.ac.salford.sysc
Subject: emTeX---English TeXcad document?

I've acquired the emTeX collection from the archive and have (so far) used
its btex286, dvihplj, dviscr, and TeXcad.  Many thanks to the archivists and
translators of the .doc files---this looks to be an extremely useful
collection of software.

Has anyone yet translated tcman.dvi, the 15 page manual for TeXcad?
TeXcad is quite usable without documentation, but it would be nice to
see the pukka manual, particularly since its Appendix D seems to contain
details of terms, conditions, and cost of a registered copy of the software.

Dave Eckersley

------------------------------

Subject:     mathematics
Date:        Tue, 19 Jun 90 18:04:50 +0200
From:        beig@EARN.FRULM63 (Jacques Beigbeder)

A question for Tex'gurus!

Consider the following text:

-------------------------------
\documentstyle{report}
\begin{document}

\begin{eqnarray*}
x & =  &  \Biggl( a + b + c + d + e + f + g + h + i + j + k + l + m + \\
     & & n + o + p + q + r + s + t + u + v + w + x + y + z \\
& & + \frac{d}{1+\frac{f}{g}} \Biggl)
\end{eqnarray*}
\end{document}
-------------------------------
Using \Biggl, we get with no difficulty parenthesis with the same size at
the beginning and the end of the formula.  Is there another to get this
effect, with something like \left( and \right), but for a formula
on several lines?

  J.Beigbeder
  beig@frulm63.bitnet / beig@ens.ens.fr

------------------------------

Subject:        MSYM and AMSTeX fonts
Date:           Tue, 19 Jun 90  13:20 BST
From:           MGB1@UK.AC.YORK.VAXA

I have been trying to get the AMSteX fonts from the archive. I have been
transferring them back to here using the VMS transfer with the /nocompress
and /code=fast options. On getting the fonts back here, they appear to be
corrupted. (Have pulled the .TFM file back and they were ok.) Any ideas ?
Is there anyone out there who has these fonts working on a VMS system.
  Thanks for the help
    Mike Beaty

------------------------------

Subject: EDMAC discussion group
Originally-sent:Wed, 27 Jun 90 14:13:43 +0100
Originally-from:Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@uk.ac.ucl>

Some readers may have heard a little about EDMAC.  This is a set of
Plain TeX macros that do much of what is required for the formatting
of a critical edition of a text.  The macros were written by John
Lavagnino, and some features were added later by Dominik Wujastyk,
who also took the opportunity to cast the macros in the format of
Mittlebach and Schoepf's DOC style.

The macros have been in use at a few sites for the last year or so,
and have -- by and large -- been doing OK.  But thanks to Mac Pigman III,
one of the users, John has been enabled to spend some concentrated time
on developing the macros further, and tidying them up. The rough agenda is
that the macros will be worked on during this summer, and we shall seek
publication (probably in TUGboat) at the end of the year.

I have established a network discussion group for the purpose of
centralizing and coordinating this work, and to make it easy for
interested parties to participate with suggestions etc.  This
discussion group is based at Newcastle in the UK, and is called
Mailbase.  It functions in a similar way to the more familiar LISTSERV
servers.   Anyone who is interested in listening in on the
discussion as EDMAC develops is welcome to join, as is --of course--
anyone who would like to make suggestions.  Suggestions will be
of most use if they come from people who have already used EDMAC.
The macros already do quite a lot; and although we want them to
be flexible and useful for critical editions, we don't want to
fall foul of "creeping-featurism".

It is easy to join the EDMAC discussion list.  Send the mail
message "subscribe edmac John Doe" to mailbase@newcastle.ac.uk,
substituting your names for "John Doe".  Thereafter, you will
recieve a user manual automatically, and be added to the group.
You will also be able to get copies of EDMAC and related files
from the mail server.

Here are some edited extracts from the users manual
(NB  the email addresses quoted here are in the form appropriate to
users on the UK Janet network; from elsewhere, reverse the string
after the "@", so that the address is in "little-endian" format.
There may be more to it than this, depending on your mailer's
intelligence):

Mailbase provides a facility to enhance group communication
via electronic mail. It does this by providing facilities
for people with access to electronic mail to join in
(subscribe to) discussions that take place via electronic
mail. The discussions are organised as electronic mail
distribution lists. These distribution lists have the
following major elements.

(1) An electronic mail address
     This uniquely identifies the discussion or mail
     distribution list.  This is the address to which
     contributions, in the form of electronic mail messages,
     are made to the discussion. For example, discussion
     about the EDMAC project takes place by sending
     contributions, via electronic mail to:
             edmac@uk.ac.newcastle
     This mail is then distributed to all of the members of
     the nisp distribution list.

(2) Members of the distribution list
     This is a list of electronic mail addresses each of
     which identifies a member of the distribution list.

(3) A list administrator or owner
     John Lavagnino and Dominik Wujastyk are responsible for
     carrying out the administrative functions associated
     with the EDMAC distribution list. As list owners they
     also act as a point of contact for problems or queries
     related to the list. The list owner is identified by an
     electronic mail address.
         edmac-request@uk.ac.newcastle

Using the Mailbase facilities
----- --- -------- ----------
Mailbase is a mail response program. This means that if you
send commands to it in the body of a mail message it will
execute them on your behalf. Information regarding the
success or otherwise of these commands is returned to the
user in the form of mail message. Commands that can be given
to Mailbase are described below. All commands should be sent
in the body of a mail message to the following
         Mailbase@uk.ac.newcastle
It is IMPORTANT that these commands be sent only to this
address and NOT to any of the mail distribution lists
managed by Mailbase. The commands are interpreted by a
computer program whereas mail to distribution lists is
meant, ultimately, for human consumption.

More than one command may appear in any one mail message to
Mailbase. The commands may appear in any order in UPPER,
lower, or MiXeD case. List owner commands must be preceded
by a "set" command as described below.

Problems or queries that require human intervention should
be addressed to:
       Mailbase-request@uk.ac.newcastle

Subscribing to Discussions
----------- -- -----------
The following command will add the user of it to a Mailbase
distribution list

A specific example of this general form is:

      Subscribe edmac Ron Chennells

This will add the mail address, taken from the message
header of the sender, to the edmac distribution list. The
names details given will also be recorded giving a possibly
more meaningful association between the members of a list
than electronic mail addresses alone. The optional words
"SEEN" or "HIDDEN" may be used to determine if a members
details are given in a subsequent "Review edmac" command. A
default of "SEEN" is implied if neither is given.

Leaving Discussions
------- -----------
To leave the discussion send the following command:
          Unsubscribe edmac

-- Note new addresses: --------------------------------------------------------
 Dominik Wujastyk,         | Janet:                       D.Wujastyk@uk.ac.ucl
 Wellcome Institute for    | Bitnet/Earn/Ean/Uucp:        D.Wujastyk@ucl.ac.uk
  the History of Medicine, | Internet/Arpa/Csnet:        dow@wjh12.harvard.edu
 183 Euston Road,          |           or:   D.Wujastyk%ucl@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 London NW1 2BN, England.  | Phone no.:                 +44 71 383-4252 ext.24

------------------------------

Subject: AMS fonts in the archive
Originally-sent:Tue, 03 Jul 90 10:00:13 +0100
Originally-from:RF@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.COMPUTER-LAB

I have recently tried to retrieve AMS fonts from the archive, with disappoint-
ing results.  The .TFMs return OK, but the .PK files all come back mangled.

The specific type of mangling is that they return as VMS variable-length/510-
byte maximum record files, rather than as fixed-length/512-byte files. After
a certain amount of magic VMS incantation, I've recast them as the `proper'
form, but the {Hamilton-Kelly} DVItoLN03 program complains that they miss
a preamble. My assumption is that the said preamble was overwritten by some
piece of damn-fool VMS software as they were stuck in the archive, and
overwritten (at that) by the `01FE' record length at the start of most blocks.

I'm transferring the files VMS-to-VMS as /code=fast; I did get a copy on tape
for our shiny new Exabyte, but due to a brain slippage on my part it came back
as a tar tape, which defeats my poor ol' VMS tar-reader software (must send
off for yet another!).

Any ideas, you merry archivists?

Robin Fairbairns, Laser-Scan, Cambridge, CB4 4FY, UK   0223 420414
rf@cl.cam.ac.uk (for foreigners), rf@uk.ac.cam.cl (Janet)
** until my `native' address gets NRS-registered..**

------------------------------

Subject: TeX v3.0 and LaTeX
Originally-sent:Wed, 04 Jul 90 13:31:02
Originally-from:PM1MJP@UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.PRIMEA

From   Dr M. J. Piff, Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sheffield,
       The Hicks Building, Hounsfield Road, SHEFFIELD S3 7RH, England.
Tel.   SHEFFIELD(0742) 768555 Extension 4431.
JANET  PM1MJP@UK.AC.SHEF.PA  or PM1MJP@UK.AC.SHEF.IBM

I am pleased to say that the problems I was having with PC-TeX have disappeared
now  I  am  using  SB30TeX.  There is the additional bonus of being able to use
\emergencystretch to get rid of those wretched overfull \hboxes!

However, I am surprised at the lack of instructions on setting up LaTeX to  use
TeX v3.0.  Plain TeX is provided, and AMSTeX is easy, since it loads plain, but
LaTeX uses lplain.tex, which appears to be several years old, and  incompatible
with v3.0.

Having done a comparison between plain from v2.993 and  v3.0  of  plain.tex,  I
isolated  the  few  places  which  needed changing, but perhaps there are other
changes which should have been  incorporated  in  lplain.tex  at  some  earlier
revision of TeX?

Anyway, to get things started, here are the changes that I found  I  needed  to
make:

(a) Somewhere or other, insert

\lefthyphenmin=2 \righthyphenmin=3 %or whatever, according to preference

or else TeX v3.0 will try to peel a single character off when hyphenating.

(b) The other change is unnecessary, unless you are working in multiple
languages. A new count register is dedicated to languages, so the other
registers have to be shifted on one:

\count10=22 % allocates \count registers 23, 24, ...           %%*****
\count11=9 % allocates \dimen registers 10, 11, ...
\count12=9 % allocates \skip registers 10, 11, ...
\count13=9 % allocates \muskip registers 10, 11, ...
\count14=9 % allocates \box registers 10, 11, ...
\count15=9 % allocates \toks registers 10, 11, ...
\count16=-1 % allocates input streams 0, 1, ...
\count17=-1 % allocates output streams 0, 1, ...
\count18=3 % allocates math families 4, 5, ...
\count19=0 % for languages                                     %%*****
\count20=255 % allocates insertions 254, 253, ...              %%*****
\countdef\insc@unt=20 % the insertion counter                  %%*****
\countdef\allocationnumber=21 % the most recent allocation     %%*****
\countdef\m@ne=22 \m@ne=-1 % a handy constant                  %%*****
\def\wlog{\immediate\write\m@ne} % write on log file (only)

and then you need

\outer\def\newlanguage{\alloc@9\language\chardef\@cclvi}

Are there any more changes to be made?   Is  there  a  list  somewhere  on  the
archive?  Should there be?

Mike Piff

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modula-2 versions of TANGLE and WEAVE?
Originally-sent:Wed, 4 Jul 90 18:15 GMT
Originally-from:FX@UK.AC.DARESBURY.NNGA

Sewell's book on WEB ('Weaving a program') contains tangle and weave
change files for modula-2, I think.  Alternatively you could build one
swiftly with the spidery web system using Knuth's pascal productions as
a base.

------------------------------

Subject: Real and Complex signs
Originally-sent:Thu, 5 Jul 90 16:21:22 BST
Originally-from:MM@UK.AC.QMW.MATHS

Can somebody tell me in what font there are the usual symbols for the real
and complex numbers, where by 'usual' I mean the ones with doubled uprights
which I believe are 'blackboard bold'? Please do NOT re-start the wars about
whether I SHOULD use these - just accept that I want to and give me some
information.
 Malcolm MacCallum

------------------------------

Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 90 17:19:30 BST
From:      David Osborne <cczdao@clan.nott.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: Real and Complex signs

Malcolm,

in your message of Thu, 05 Jul 90 16:31:15 -0000, you said:

 > Can somebody tell me in what font there are the usual symbols for the real
 > and complex numbers, where by 'usual' I mean the ones with doubled uprights
 > which I believe are 'blackboard bold'?

the `blackboard bold' capitals are in the old-series AMS fonts
`msym*.*pk', where they occupy the usual positions for the uppercase
alphabet.  in the new AMS fonts, which i'll install in the archive in
the next couple of days, the BB caps are in fonts `msbm*'.

you'll find the article by Robert Messer, describing `poor man's
blackboard bold', to which Malcolm Clark referred in an earlier
message, in TUGboat 9(1) [1988], 19--20.

dave osborne,
Aston TeX Archive group.

------------------------------

Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 90 09:54:00 BST
From:      PHYGEP@UK.AC.HERIOT-WATT.VAXB
Subject:   TeX for Acorn R140

Peter,

This is just to confirm my telephone call of 6/7/90.
1.  Is TeX available for R140?
2.  How do I get a copy?
3.  Is Latex included?
4.  Is there a screen previewer?
5.  Is there support for a Postscript laser printer?

Thanks,

Gordon Peckham

------------------------------

Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 90 12:43:34 BST
From:      David Osborne <cczdao@clan>
Subject:   Re: TeX for Acorn R140

Gordon,

Peter forwarded you mail to me.
in your message of Fri, 06 Jul 90 09:54:00 -0000, you said:

 > 1.  Is TeX available for R140?

coming soon

 > 2.  How do I get a copy?

it will be installed at Aston;
alternatively, i should be able to supply a kit on floppies
(but as that requires time-consuming work, i'd prefer it if people
 who have the capability could fetch the archive copy).

 > 3.  Is Latex included?

yes, as well as plain, SliTeX and AMSTeX 2.0.

 > 4.  Is there a screen previewer?

yes, xdvi will be included, as well DVItoVDU (in C).

 > 5.  Is there support for a Postscript laser printer?

yes, James Clark's dvitops will be included.

so will METAFONT, BibTeX, and all the supporting TeXware and METAFONTware.
[i guess i ought to include makeindex, which isn't in there at the moment].

i'm finishing off the testing in spare moments and have also to write
an installation guide, at Acorn's request.  i can't give a definite
release date, but i can say it will be `as soon as possible' -- within
the next couple of weeks, i'd hope.  i'll drop you a line, but it will
be announced in UKTeX when it goes in the archive, of course.

- dave -
  (Aston TeX Archive group)

------------------------------

Subject:        (722) TeX for Archimedes
Originally-sent:Fri, 06 Jul 90 11:37:57
Originally-from:CS1CWM@UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.PRIMEA

Two members of our Maths Department have an Archimedes and would like to put
TeX on it.  They have heard of a version (2.93) from Germany costing about
\pounds69, with LaTeX a further \pounds29.  Are there any others?

I have looked in the Archive directory and searched this year's UKTeX for
Archimedes without success.

Chris Martin

------------------------------

Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 90 11:59:36 BST
Subject:   RE: (722) TeX for Archimedes
Originally-from: P.TAYLOR@UK.AC.RHBNC.VAX

Chris ---

>Two members of our Maths Department have an Archimedes and would like to put
>TeX on it.  They have heard of a version (2.93) from Germany costing about
>\pounds69, with LaTeX a further \pounds29.  Are there any others?
>
>I have looked in the Archive directory and searched this year's UKTeX for
>Archimedes without success.

Yes.  Contact Graham Toal <G.Toal@Uk.Ac.Edinburgh>, who will probably
request that you send him circa twenty-five pre-formatted floppy discs
for an Archimedes ...

					Philip Taylor,
			    Royal Holloway and Bedford New College,
			    ``The University of London at Windsor''

-
!!
!!   Files of interest
!!      [tex-archive]000aston.readme           [tex-archive]000directory.list
!!      [tex-archive]000directory_dates.list   [tex-archive]000directory.size
!!      [tex-archive]000last30days.files
!!
!! Editor - I have a tape labelled TeX 2.993(==3.0) LaTeX 2.09 Metafont 1.9 (2.
0)
!! Unix 4.2/3BSD & System V. Tar 1600 bpi blocked 20 1 file dated
!! 28 March 1990 (from washington.edu).
!!
!!  FTP access site               uk.ac.aston.tex
!!             username           public
!!             password           public
!!
!! I have the facility to copy this tape for anyone who sends the following
!! 1 2400 tape with return labels AND RETURN postage. (2.50 pounds sterling
!! for UK users, payable to `Aston University') Outside UK please ask me.
!! UK users send 4.25 for two tapes or 6.60 for three tapes.
!! Send to
!!
!! P Abbott
!! Computing Service
!! Aston University
!! Aston Triangle
!! Birmingham B4 7ET
!!
!! A VMS backup of the archive requires 2 (two ) 2400' tapes at 6250bpi.
!! Remaining details as above.
!!
!! A VMS backup of TeX 2.991 plus PSprint is available one tape is needed.
!!
!! Exabyte tape drive with Video 8 cassettes.
!!
!! Same formats available as 1/2in tapes.  We use the following tapes
!! SONY Video 8 cassette  P5 90MP, MAXCELL Video 8 cassette P5-90
!! TDK Video 8 cassette P5-90MPB
!! Postage 35p UK (stamp please), 1 pound sterling Europe, other areas 2 pounds
!!
!! OzTeX - Send 10 UNFORMATTED (800k) disks with return postage.
!!
!!  Replies/submissions to            info-tex@uk.ac.aston   please
!!  distribution changes to   info-tex-request@uk.ac.aston   please
!!