[comp.text.tex] draft copies of documents

MMAC@vax.oxford.ac.uk (The_Edible_Dormouse) (07/09/90)

I came up with what I think is a fairly novel use of \special a while ago. Put
a \special into a footer which loads a postscript file to draw in large grey
characters the word 'DRAFT' diagonally across the page and you have automatic
draft documents. I did it using fancyheadings.doc and putting it into lfoot but
this was just so i could have normal footers too.

This is the postscript --- just put it into draft.ps and \special{draft} in the
footer does the rest.

% grey "DRAFT" at 45 degrees
gsave
.80 setgray
%%% set the horiz and vert distances to fit neatly onto page
80 100 moveto
%%% choose size of font
%%% /Helvetica-Bold findfont 72 scalefont setfont
/Helvetica-Bold findfont 144 scalefont setfont
45 rotate
(DRAFT)show
grestore

I could quite get into this postscript lark --- much simpler than TeX :-)

Edi

MMAC@UK.AC.OX.VAX (Janet)		  = The opinions expressed above are
MMAC%VAX.OX.AC.UK@UKACRL.BITNET (Bitnet)  = not necessarily those of any person
MMAC%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK	  = living, dead, undead or the subject
	(Internet)			  = of a Schrodinger's cat experiment.
"Trust me I'm a Physicist !" 		  = They may or may not be my own.

MMAC@vax.oxford.ac.uk (The_Edible_Dormouse) (07/09/90)

I came up with what I think is a fairly novel use of \special a while ago. Put
a \special into a footer which loads a postscript file to draw in large grey
characters the word 'DRAFT' diagonally across the page and you have automatic
draft documents. I did it using fancyheadings.doc and putting it into lfoot but
this was just os i could have normal footers too.

880716a@aucs.uucp (Dave Astels) (07/11/90)

In article <9007091154.AA19113@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MMAC@vax.oxford.ac.uk (The_Edible_Dormouse) writes:
>[...] a postscript file to draw in large grey
>characters the word 'DRAFT' diagonally across the page and you have automatic
>draft documents.
>[...]
>% grey "DRAFT" at 45 degrees
>gsave
>.80 setgray
>%%% set the horiz and vert distances to fit neatly onto page
>80 100 moveto
>%%% choose size of font
>%%% /Helvetica-Bold findfont 72 scalefont setfont
>/Helvetica-Bold findfont 144 scalefont setfont
>45 rotate
>(DRAFT)show
>grestore

I am new to TeX.  I got this to work for a one pager.  Questions:
- how do I make the "DRAFT" notice 1) lighter gray & 2) behind the actual
  document (it now overlays & obscures it)
- how do I get this on each page of a many page document.

Thank you

--
"I liked him better before he died" - McCoy, ST V
Dave Astels            |  Internet: 880716a@AcadiaU.CA

In article <1990Jul10.184840.22590@aucs.uucp> 880716a@aucs.UUCP (Dave Astels) writes:
>In article <9007091154.AA19113@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MMAC@vax.oxford.ac.uk (The_Edible_Dormouse) writes:
>>[...] a postscript file to draw in large grey
>>characters the word 'DRAFT' diagonally across the page and you have automatic
>>draft documents.
[. lots deleted .]

I have another question.  I will probably be printing from WordPerfect 5.1.
Is there a way to get the disscussed effect from that?