[comp.text.tex] UKTeX V90 #22

uktex@uk.ac.aston (07/13/90)

UKTeX V90 #22                                             Friday 13 July 1990

Today's topics:
		 Here is TeX for Archimedes (RiscOS)
		      Discuss: French language.
		   Re: Gentle Introduction to TeX.
				emTeX
			      Lambda.sty
	   Program SGML-TeX seminar Groningen, 31 Aug 1990
			Drivers for HP DeskJet
		  LaTeX styles from Mainz (updates)

Moderator:       Peter Abbott
This issue edited by:
                 David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
                   <d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.clan>
Submissions:     uktex@uk.ac.aston
Administration:  uktex-request@uk.ac.aston

Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.UKTEX.90]
Latest TeXhax:    #51
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEXHAX.90]
Latest TeXmag:    V4 N2
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEX-MAG]
			 E D I T O R ' S   N O T E S

	With this issue, we adopt the policy of not including answers
	 from the Archive Group to messages received during the week
	     and printed here, to encourage participation by the
       readership.  If you have a useful answer to any question raised
	   in the digest, please send it to UKTeX@uk.ac.aston for
	inclusion in the next issue.  We'd like to hear from you ---
			 this is {\em your} digest!

Subject:        Here is TeX for Archimedes (RiscOS)
Originally-sent:Fri Jul 6 17:18:53 GMT 1990
Originally-from:GTOAL@UK.AC.EDINBURGH.COMPUTER-SCIENCE.TARDIS

CSICWM@UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.PRIMEA asks for TeX for the Acorn Archimedes,
running RiscOS rather than Unix.

There are two versions of this compiled for the Archimedes; one is from
Tools GmbH which is sold commercially (I think around $UK200 for a full
set of TeX and MF), and one which is supplied by myself as a part-time
public domain effort.

I have *not* tried very hard to advertise my services before now, because
my release has been short of a very vital part: the previewer.  However
a previewer which has been under development for some time finally started
working this morning (!) and should be beta-testable by the end of next week.

I shall also be lodging copies with the Archive, although I'm not sure
exactly how to do that... my release at the moment includes sources and
font files - it would be a shame to use 20Mb of aston disk space to duplicate
files already there - and it will be a lot of work sorting things out
into suitable format if I dont.

Meantime, I think the best thing to do is for anyone who wants a copy
of TeX (2.9) from me is to post me 25 *FORMATTED* Archimedes floppies
and return postage stamps, and I'll mail them a release as soon as I
can.  However because of the part-time nature of this, and the length
of time it takes to copy that many disks, I warn you that sometimes
people have waited as long as ten weeks for their disks to arrive.

If you want better support and quicker service, I can recommend the Tools
version of TeX.  They were kind enough to send me a full release for
testing, so I know that it works well enough.  I wouldn't say mine
was any better... just cheaper (and copyable) :-)

Graham Toal <gtoal@uk.ac.ed>
   76 Clare Court,
      Judd Street,
         London WC1H 9QW

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 12:11:03 BST
From: R.A.Reese@uk.ac.hull
Subject: Discuss: French language.

The following news item appeared in the Daily Telegraph (London 6 July 90).

`Au revoir \^{}

France's language experts abolished the circumflex yesterday.
Circumflex accents and hyphens linking compound words will not be
used in schools after next year.'

It is not explained why the French need to simplify their character
set.  Are they all using some inadequate American keyboard?
Do their minitel keyboards have \^{}s?
What are the implications for TeX?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 12:36:48 BST
From: R.A.Reese@uk.ac.hull
Subject: Re: Gentle Introduction to TeX.

Here is an amended version of a message I sent to Michael Doob
ten days ago.  As I haven't received a reply I guess he's away.
Meanwhile I enclose the comments for information and would be
willing to place the revised Gentle Introduction in the Archive
if asked.  I have split the single file (as it is) into four
parts for ease of editing: the Contents and Index are hard-coded
in the current version, I removed the defaults and put \input
statements for contents.tex and index.tex; I split the introductory
macros from the main text.

A point of general interest is that since this is a book about
TeX the contents list contains TeX command words. These do not
need to be expanded when the contents list is written. Indeed it
is very unhelpful if they are (especially the maths delimiters).
However, TeX variables like section number and page number obviously
do need to be replaced by their actual values. This is now done by
a sequence of \write s that either do/do not expand. This then meant
I had to find a way of writing unbalanced brackets, so that the
result of writing all the components of an item was something like

   \line{ 4.3.2 \TeX s, and TiCks \dotfill 27 }
          ^ ^                              ^
    secnum  subsecnum etc                   pageno

You cannot \write{ \string{ } as the \string does not stop TeX
from counting the { and hence saying there is an unbalance. But
you can \write{ \bgroup } and \bgroup seems to mean {. The TeX
book is cagey on any differences.

----------
I got the Gentle Intro from the Aston TeX server to see if you
had changed anything since the 1989 draft. The archive copy is
dated January this year. Here are some comments;

1) There are a couple of paragraphs at the start of section 1 in the
1989 draft that have disappeared. This may be unintended, but the
(partial) reference to the TeXbook has moved to the Introduction.
However, I think without them Section 1 does not flow from its title.

2) The Contents is supposed to be generated from the macros in the
supplied input. This is not so: (a) the macros don't put in the
section numbers (b) the macros put in the contents file expanded
copies of TeX control words. This really screws up the section
heading "Groups, groups ...".  I have hacked the macros with the
help of a dirty trick from the TeXbook, so now you can write
contents.tex and then just \input it in the next run.

3) Similarly the index file contains only part of what the index
section needs. I haven't hacked \toindex, but it ought to be easy
enough to get it to write \\\TeX rather than TeX etc.
The DOS sort command gives a slightly different ordering, but
hand editing produces a similar result to your original.

4) I found an error! The alignment chapter in G.I. says you cannot
right align the final tabbed column. You can, by putting another
& after the string. This "right-margin tab" also allows writing
of marginal comments. (It is in the TeXbook)

5) I have resized the document for A4 and changed a few explicit
pagebreaks as a result.

Allan Reese
r.a.reese@hull

------------------------------

Date:		Tue, 10 JUL 90 15:49:15 GMT
From:		CIY8@UK.AC.NEWCASTLE-POLY.VAXA
To:		abbottp@UK.AC.ASTON
Subject:	emTeX

I would be grateful if you would help.

I am attempting to install emTeX on an IBM PC. I have obtained and
installed the files necessary for LaTeX (from Aston.tex). The problem
is which fonts to install?

- Looking through the aston.tex directory there appears to be a great
  many fonts to choose from.

The readme file for emTeX describes how the fonts can be supplied from
the author on upto 6 diskettes. These would have possibly upto 8 files.
The fonts would have an extension  .fli. The printer type and paper width?
need to be specified when ordering these disks.

This appears confusing when looking through the aston.tex directory.

In addition to the question of which fonts; how do I install these fonts
into the form required?

Note, initially I would be happy getting the screen previewer to work
and go on to solve the question of the printer later.

Thankyou,
Malcolm Teasdale

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 16:05:23 BST
From: Alan.Jeffrey@uk.ac.oxford.prg
Subject: Lambda.sty

Sebastian Rahtz asked me to give you a paragraph about Lambda.sty for
inclusion in UKTeX.

Lambda.sty is a TeX implementation of lists, in the style of functional
programming and the lambda calculus.  Primitives for constructing
(nil, singleton, cons) manipulating (map, filter) and deconstructing
(head, tail, fold) lists are provided.  Using these, a macro to sort
a list is defined.  The supporting TUGboat article `Lists in TeX's mouth'
(TUGboat Vol. 11, No. 2) is also available as Lambda.tex (a LaTeX document
which uses ltugboat.sty).  Lambda.sty will work equally well with TeX,
LaTeX or AMSTeX.

Cheers,

Alan.

------------------------------

Subject:        Program SGML-TeX seminar Groningen, 31 Aug 1990
Originally-sent:Wed, 11 Jul 90 11:56 MET
Originally-from:CGL%NL.RUG@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY

Program      TeX-SGML seminar 31 aug 1990, Groningen

 9.00 - 10.00 Welcome, registration, coffee
10.00 - 10.15 Opening
10.15 - 11.00 Language technology and the future of text automation
              Gerard Kempen (KUN)

11.00 - 11.30 Coffee

              Room ZG15                    Room ZG8
11.30 - 12.15 Two faces of text            SGML at European Patent Office
              Joop van Gent (KUB)          Terry Rowlay (EPO)
12.15 - 13.00 Portable graphics in TeX     Aspects of a marriage: SGML and TeX
              Malcolm Clark (Univ Essex)   Tibor Tscheke (Univ Wurzburg)

13.00 - 14.00 Lunch

14.00 - 14.45 Getting TeXnical             Publishing with TeX and LaTeX:
              Amy Hendrickson              a crash course
              (TeXnology Inc.)             Sake Hoogeveen (UvA)
14.45 - 15.15                              14.45 - 15.30
              Documentstyle design as      SGML applications in the building
              ENTITY                       and construction industry
              Victor Eijkhout, Andries     K.L. Oey (TNO)
                     Lenstra (KUN)
15.15 - 15.45 WG13 activities: Babel etc.
              Johannes Braams
              (Neher lab. PTT)

15.45 - 16.00 Tea                          15.30 - 16.00 Tea

16.00 - 16.45 TUGboat production:          SGML and TeX at
              TeX, LaTeX and paste in      Elsevier Science Publishers
              Barbara Beeton (TUG/AMS)     Jeroen Soutberg(ESP)

16.45 - 17.30 SGML and TeX: Reflections
              Manfred Kruger (MID)

17.30 -       Cocktail party

All day: Vendor/Demonstration booths

Information: C.G. van der Laan (cgl@rug.nl)

------------------------------

Subject:        Drivers for HP DeskJet
Originally-sent:Fri, 13 Jul 90 12:53:49 GMT
Originally-from:A42JR@UK.AC.POLY-EAST-LONDON

In my previous enquiry (about UKTUG) I tagged on a request for
information about drivers for the HP DeskJet.

There was no response to this. Are there not any drivers available for the
DeskJet?

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 90 14:29:46 bst
Subject: LaTeX styles from Mainz (updates)

There were some mistakes in  the last release of Mittelbach and
Schoepf's font selection macros in
 [.latex.styles.fontsel]
at Aston. The latest versions have now been installed.

If you have already collected the files, get oldlfont.sty and
lfonts.new again

sebastian rahtz

!!
!!   Files of interest
!!      [tex-archive]000aston.readme           [tex-archive]000directory.list
!!      [tex-archive]000directory_dates.list   [tex-archive]000directory.size
!!      [tex-archive]000last30days.files
!!
!! I have a tape labelled TeX 2.993(==3.0) LaTeX 2.09 Metafont 1.9 (2.0)
!! Unix 4.2/3BSD & System V. Tar 1600 bpi blocked 20 1 file dated
!! 28 March 1990 (from washington.edu)  --Peter Abbott.
!!
!!  FTP access site               uk.ac.aston.tex
!!             username           public
!!             password           public
!!
!! I have the facility to copy this tape for anyone who sends the following
!! 1 2400 tape with return labels AND RETURN postage. (2.50 pounds sterling
!! for UK users, payable to `Aston University') Outside UK please ask me.
!! UK users send 4.25 for two tapes or 6.60 for three tapes.
!! Send to
!!
!! P Abbott
!! Computing Service
!! Aston University
!! Aston Triangle
!! Birmingham B4 7ET
!!
!! A VMS backup of the archive requires 2 (two ) 2400' tapes at 6250bpi.
!! Remaining details as above.
!!
!! A VMS backup of TeX 2.991 plus PSprint is available one tape is needed.
!!
!! Exabyte tape drive with Video 8 cassettes.
!!
!! Same formats available as 1/2in tapes.  We use the following tapes
!! SONY Video 8 cassette  P5 90MP, MAXCELL Video 8 cassette P5-90
!! TDK Video 8 cassette P5-90MPB
!! Postage 35p UK (stamp please), 1 pound sterling Europe, other areas 2 pounds
!!
!! OzTeX - Send 10 UNFORMATTED (800k) disks with return postage.
!!
!!  Replies/submissions to            info-tex@uk.ac.aston   please
!!  distribution changes to   info-tex-request@uk.ac.aston   please
!!