[comp.text.tex] How to be an intelligent LaTeX user

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/19/90)

In article <2857307721@ARTEMIS.cam.nist.gov>, miller@cam.nist.gov (Bruce R. Miller) writes...
>In article <7854@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, Hosek, Donald A. writes:
>> In article <1048100001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes...
>> >					....  Is this (sending
>> >macros with .tex) common in exchanging documents in TeX?

>> Yep. LaTeX users (at least intelligent ones) can generally avoid
>> this problem.

>Educate me! This is a problem I've always run into with sending &
>recieving (La)TeX files.  With make or defsystem you have a clear
>indication of what files are needed; so you know what needs to be sent.

What I've been preaching for quite some time is that with LaTeX
you want to avoid putting anything between \begin{document} and
\end{document} that is format-specific. Thus, the platonic ideal
of LaTeX would imply that I could take an article formatted for,
say, the Journal of Stupid Formatting, and without changing
anything after \begin{document} run it through my local system
using \documentstyle{article}.

Most of the document style options people use can either be
omitted or should never have been there in the first place. As an
example of an omittable option, consider, for example, drafthead
(prints "Draft" in the page headers). Omitting this from the
document style list won't do any harm.

Options that probably shouldn't be called by the user are (among
others) drop and doublespace. In the case of drop, this should be
loaded by the documentstyle (if necessary) and *section headings*
should call the \drop macro, *not* the user. (If people are
really interested and nobody realizes how trivial this is before
I acquiesce and give you the code and does it themself, I'll put
together a style option that puts dropped capitals after every
\section command).

And yes, there are some cases where you absolutely must bring in
external macros (e.g., if you need Sunil Podar's epic macros
etc.) but these cases aren't as common as it would appear.

-dh

Incidentally, it is typically a good idea to at the beginning of
each root TeX or LaTeX file to include a list of external files
used and also additional fonts loaded.

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147