[comp.text.tex] using Fraktur for text

davidra@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (David Rabson) (07/02/90)

Mr. Hosek (dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu) asks us not to use Euler Fraktur for
text.  Understanding his concern, I will yet point out that one gets
reasonably good results by changing a few parameters:

\magnification=1000
\baselineskip=16.8pt

\font\eufm=eufm14                               %Black Forest Font

\fontdimen2\eufm=.333em
\fontdimen3\eufm=.166em
\fontdimen4\eufm=.110em
{\eufm
Once upon a time, in the great Black Forest by the Rhine,
there lived an evil sorcerer feared
equally by the villagefolk and by

etc.
}

To my untrained eyes, at any rate, this doesn't look so bad.

David Rabson
davidra@helios.tn.cornell.edu

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/02/90)

In article <10495@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, davidra@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (David Rabson) writes...
>Mr. Hosek (dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu) asks us not to use Euler Fraktur for
>text.  Understanding his concern, I will yet point out that one gets
>reasonably good results by changing a few parameters:
>\magnification=1000
>\baselineskip=16.8pt

>\font\eufm=eufm14                               %Black Forest Font

>\fontdimen2\eufm=.333em
>\fontdimen3\eufm=.166em
>\fontdimen4\eufm=.110em
>{\eufm
>Once upon a time, in the great Black Forest by the Rhine,
>there lived an evil sorcerer feared
>equally by the villagefolk and by

>etc.
>}
>To my untrained eyes, at any rate, this doesn't look so bad.

Some specific problems with Euler Fraktur as a text font:

  - Interword spacing is fixed... the \fontdimen stuff above does
    a fair job of dealing with this but it must be done promptly
    after loading the font.
  - There is very limited punctuation provided. One of the more
    notable omissions is the hyphen. \hyphenchar=-1, better
    increase \fontdimen3 a little more.
  - There is no diaresis (umlaut). Now, if you're writing in
    English, this wouldn't be a problem (unless you're writing
    for the New Yorker, in which case you wouldn't be so
    na\"{\i}ve as to leave the diaresis of of ``pre\"empt'' but
    then, The New Yorker wouldn't print an article in Fraktur in
    a million years. However, Fraktur is a German face and is
    most likely to be used in a German context. And der
    Pr\"asident der DANTE (The German TeX Users Group) is not going
    to be very happy if you try to call him der Prasident.
  - The spacing around letter is wrong for quality text
    typesetting. In math fonts, it is desirable to have more
    interletter spacing than one normally has in text. This means
    that ${\frac F}(1) = 0$ will come out fine but {\frac ist
    nicht sehr guht}.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/02/90)

A few additional notes... Having just looked at the AMSFONTS 2.0
release of Euler Fraktur, I find that it has a minus sign in the
hyphen position so if you have a hyphenation in \frak when it's
used as a text font, something will be printed there, however,
the minus sign is too large to use as a hyphen. There is also an
Umlaut, but in x'7d rather than x'7f. Single opening and closing
quotes are also present but again in non-standard positions.

-dh

---

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (07/02/90)

>A few additional notes... Having just looked at the AMSFONTS 2.0
>release of Euler Fraktur, I find that it has a minus sign in the
>hyphen position so if you have a hyphenation in \frak when it's
>used as a text font, something will be printed there, however,
>the minus sign is too large to use as a hyphen. There is also an
>Umlaut, but in x'7d rather than x'7f. Single opening and closing
>quotes are also present but again in non-standard positions.

I guess, once the funny-looking METAFONT is out, some kind soul with a
lot of spare time on his/her hands will eventually move the umlaut in
its proper position, or, better yet, add a pre-accented a, o, and u; but
I'd like to point out another thing that's seriously wrong with using
Euler Fraktur as a text font, which struck me right away when I tried
doing that: there are no ligatures! Even if you set just English, you
are supposed to have 'ch', 'ck', 'ft', and 'tz' ligs, because they look
*real* *weird* spelled out in Fraktur; and for Deutch one needs 'final'
(round) s, and es-zet; and in principle, it would be good to have the
usual 'ff', 'fi', 'fl'... (which don't look as terrible spelled out, but
would look better as ligs, as they are meant to be). I figure, someone
will do that too once the MF is out...

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
City University of New York Graduate Center

Administrator of RUSTEX-L, the Russian TeX mailing list

P.S. The proper 'hyphen' for fraktur looks more like a slanted equal
sign.
P.P.S. I have somewhere a sheet with Fraktur-like Cyrillic letters; now
that's weird! :)

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (07/04/90)

In article <7702@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>A few additional notes... Having just looked at the AMSFONTS 2.0

All this discussion about fraktur fonts somewhat begs the original
question, since (Gothic) != (Old English).  I assume that the original
poster wanted to typeset quotations from (eg) Chaucer or Piers
Plowman, and so needs to have yogh, thorn, eth and so forth.

If anyone does know of fonts that would fit the bill, I would also be
interested in hearing about them (caveat: I don't have ftp access, so
ftp sites are pretty useless to me personally.)

Thanks,
	Mark

>Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and

##  Mark S. Madsen  ####  marksm@syma.susx.ac.uk  #####################
####  Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK.  ##
####################  Life's a bitch.  Then you die.  #################

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (07/19/90)

In article <3032@syma.sussex.ac.uk> marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) writes:

   question, since (Gothic) != (Old English).  I assume that the original
   poster wanted to typeset quotations from (eg) Chaucer or Piers
   Plowman, and so needs to have yogh, thorn, eth and so forth.

   If anyone does know of fonts that would fit the bill, I would also be
   interested in hearing about them (caveat: I don't have ftp access, so
   ftp sites are pretty useless to me personally.)

if you forget about Metafonted fonts, and use a PostScript printer,
then you will find yogh, thorn and eth in some Adobe typefaces, such as
Times. it is always worth doing a search of PostScript fonts, as they
often have characters which dont appear in the standard encoding

sebastian

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)