[comp.text.tex] Macintosh PS included in LaTeX doc.

newman@buster.cps.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman) (07/13/90)

I have a Macintosh PS file generated by Cricket Graph 4.0.  I converted
this file to a PS file (supposedly suitable for inclusion in
latex documents) using macps.  When I print out the macps'ed version
by itself, it prints fine on our LaserWriter II.

But when I include that in a LaTeX document (using the psfig package),
neither the document text nor the figure appear on the output document page
(I have viewed the .dvi file with an xdvi previewer, and the text
appears ok with a box around where the figure should go).  The only
thing that appears on that page is the figure title.  The other
pages of the document print fine.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer, even if all you could tell
me is the name of another newsgroup or person who would be more suitable
to contact.

Thanks,
Tim Newman
newman@pixel.cps.msu.edu

rks900@csc.anu.oz (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul13.155447.28792@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, newman@buster.cps.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman) writes:

> I have a Macintosh PS file generated by Cricket Graph 4.0.  I converted
> this file to a PS file (supposedly suitable for inclusion in
> latex documents) using macps.  When I print out the macps'ed version
> by itself, it prints fine on our LaserWriter II.
>
> But when I include that in a LaTeX document (using the psfig package),
> neither the document text nor the figure appear on the output document page
> (I have viewed the .dvi file with an xdvi previewer, and the text
> appears ok with a box around where the figure should go).  The only
> thing that appears on that page is the figure title.  The other
> pages of the document print fine.

There are two possible problems I can think of. One is that you haven't
included the laserprep header file which contains postcript macros that
macintosh applications use. Using PSDVI on a Vax, this is performed by adding
the qualifier /macapp. You may need to consult your local users guide to find
out what the appropriate command is. The second problem may be that the figure
is off the page, in which case you will need to include an appropriate
translate in the \special command, i.e. \special{CrockGraph.PS 72 72 translate}
moves the figure 1 inch up and 1 inch right. Start by searching space in units
of half a page - you will quickly find it.
	My own personal experience in using Cricket Graph pictures is that they
looked terrible - in fact one journal rejected the figures produced by it. My
solution was to use a locally written plotting package, convert this to
postscript using the Vax PLOT command, and to annotate it using TeX Picture
environment written by Brendan MacKay at ANU (bdm@anucsd.anu.edu.au). The task
of installing this on an arbitrary system is quite involved, versions exist for
Vax and Unix systems. If I get a bit of time, I will convert OzTeX to handle
this system as well, as the results are really worth while.
					Rus Standish
					rks900@csc2.anu.edu.au