[comp.text.tex] TeX and the CONVEX....

lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) (07/24/90)

Sorry about posting this to the newsgroup, but I am in a bind.
I am trying to install TeX82 on a CONVEX and am having
a bear of a time.  I have built web2c and am running convert
on the web programs in the TeXware directory, attempting to
build tangle.  However, no matter what I do, I get a syntax
error.  First off, how do I use web2c?  Do I run convert
with no arguments?  If I do give convert arguments, I cannot
get it to work, for some reason convert mentions that any
arguments are invalid and then hangs.

Can I build TeX at all without a pascal compiler (this is
important since we do not have a pascal compiler available)?

Again, sorry about posting an installation question to the
newsgroup, my email does not seem to be getting out of the
building these days, so this is my only recourse.

--
Gregory B. Lampshire     |    DOMAIN lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com
Western Geophysical      |    UUNET  uunet!airgun!lampshir

nboogaar@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Martin v.d. Boogaard) (07/25/90)

In <870@airgun.wg.waii.com> lampshir@airgun.wg.waii.com (gregory b. lampshire) writes:

>Sorry about posting this to the newsgroup, but I am in a bind.

That's what newsgroups are for, isn't it?

>I am trying to install TeX82 on a CONVEX and am having
>a bear of a time.  I have built web2c and am running convert
>on the web programs in the TeXware directory, attempting to
>build tangle.  However, no matter what I do, I get a syntax
>error.  First off, how do I use web2c?

We got web2c and the associated tar.Z files from the Clarkson archive.
They can be used to build TeX, BibTeX, Metafont and a lot more.
Makefiles are included in the archives. One of the README files contains
the remark that, on the Convex, the -O optimization option for cc `breaks
web2c'. So, remove the -O option from the overall Makefile, type `make', and
go and have lunch.

Good luck!

Martin J. van den Boogaard         | Dept. of Atomic & Interface Physics
                                   | Debye Institute--Utrecht University
P.O. Box 80.000                    |
NL-3508 TA  Utrecht                | decnet:   ruunsc::boogaard
the Netherlands                    | bitnet:   boogaard@hutruu51
+31 30 532904                      | internet: nboogaar@fys.ruu.nl