[comp.text.tex] Help with LaTeX, please.

daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu (07/11/90)

Dear Netters:

I have to ask for help with LaTeX. It made me crazy.

I am trying to typeset a formula like this:

-----
/	    A
-----
i=1
W  =  ----------------------
------
/
------
j=1

However, I can always get following fomulas:
--- n
w =     /
--- i=1
-------------------
---- n
/
---- j=1

Could anybody tell me why ? What mistake I made ?
Thanks very much in advance.

Dai YingShi     daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu

schalit@crcge1.cge.fr (Emmanuel Schalit) (07/25/90)

In article <1392daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu> daiyingshi@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>Dear Netters:
>
>I have to ask for help with LaTeX. It made me crazy.
>
>I am trying to typeset a formula like this:

>-----
>/	    A
>-----
>i=1
>W  =  ----------------------
>------
>/
>------
>j=1
>

>However, I can always get following fomulas:
>--- n
>w =     /
>--- i=1
>-------------------
>---- n
>/
>---- j=1

You should consider the following syntax:

	\sum\limits_{i=1}^{n}{...}

This TeX command works also for products and integral. Its reverse, \nolimits,
force the other mode.

It is detailed in "The TeXbook" pp 144
		Emmanuel Schalit	Robotics Research Engineer
					CGE Corporate Labs
					Marcoussis France.