[comp.text.tex] bitmap to font

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (07/26/90)

Does anyone have tools to convert an arbitarty bitmap into a 1
character font file (.pxl or .pk) with an associated .tfm file?  This
would seem like an easy way for people without a postscript printer to
print out graphics.
--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/26/90)

In article <34476@ut-emx.UUCP>, allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes...
>Does anyone have tools to convert an arbitarty bitmap into a 1
>character font file (.pxl or .pk) with an associated .tfm file?  This
>would seem like an easy way for people without a postscript printer to
>print out graphics.

John McClain at Texas A&M has a set of tools for this sort of
thing for the graphics packages used by the ACS there; his e-mail
address is ophelp@tamvenus.bitnet.

There is also a program called CAPTURE which takes HPGL files and
converts those directly into PK files; this is a commercial
package and is sold by Micro Programs Inc. (251 Jackson Ave/
Syosset, NY 11791--cost: $137)

Pat Wilcox has written a package METAPLOT which takes arbitrary
pen-plotter files and converts them into MF files which can then
generate whatever resolution PKs are needed. Her e-mail address
is wilcox@cis.ohio-state.edu

Perhaps, someone should suggest to the pbm people that they
implement code for converting to/from PK/TFM pairs?

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

rcpt@rc3.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (07/26/90)

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:

>Does anyone have tools to convert an arbitarty bitmap into a 1
>character font file (.pxl or .pk) with an associated .tfm file?  This
>would seem like an easy way for people without a postscript printer to
>print out graphics.

I don't have a tool that way but the other way. It (pk2bm) converts a
character from a pkfont to a bitmap. With emTeX there is the program pkedit
which can edit pkfonts. Perhaps somebody can write a program pkedit with a
X11interface having possibilities to convert to/from bitmap's? I don't know
if the source of pkedit is available, pk2bm is free!

Here is what pk2bm can do:
/*
 * NAME
 *      pk2bm - create a bitmap from a TeX pkfont
 * SYNOPSIS:
 *      pk2bm [-bh] [-W width] [-H height] -c char pkfont
 * DESCRIPTION
 *      This program generates a bitmap (ASCII file) which can be used
 *      to create X11 applications. The bitmap file consists of all
 *      pixels of the specified character from the given pkfont. The
 *      format is described in bitmap(X11).
 *
 *      The pkfont is a packed fontfile generated by gftopk(TeX) from a
 *      gffont. A gffont is the output of METAFONT a program to design fonts
 *      in a device independant way.
 *
 *      With the -b flag a bitmap is generated in which all set bits are
 *      drawn as a `*' and all reset bits as a `.'. With the -h flag a
 *      hexadecimal bitmap dump is generated.
 *
 *      The -W and/or -H options can be used to create a bitmap of
 *      respectivally height' pixels. The pk-bitmap will in
 *      this case be centered according to these new dimensions.
 *
 *      The output is written to the standard output.
 * SEE ALSO
 *      METAFONT'', Donald Knuth.
 *      The PKtype processor'', belonging to the METAFONTware.
 *      bitmap(X11), gftopk(TeX), pktype(TeX)
 * AUTHOR
 *      Piet Tutelaers
 *      rcpt@urc.tue.nl
 */