[comp.text.tex] Frequently Posted Answers

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/26/90)

It occurred to me that I tend to say a lot of the same things
over and over again so maybe I should say them all at once.

Unix TeX. Get the tape. It is up to date, well-organized, and the
money helps pay for a really good support structure that is there
to help you with any problems you encounter and to help keep Unix
TeX development going. You can get more details from:
    Elizabeth Tachikawa
    Northwest Computing Support Center
    208 Lewis Hall, DW-10
    Seattle, WA 98195
    206-543-6259
    elizabet@max.acs.washington.edu
[Important note: In my last posting, I mispelled Elizabeth's
e-mail address. Note that it's eliZabet with a Z not an S. Sigh]

The TeX Users Group. It's $35, folks. That's two and a third CDs
(or four from the "Nice Price" line). You will find that TUGboat
is an invaluable source of information. They also can supply you
with nearly any commercial TeX software you want (or point you at
a vendor) and sell all the available TeX publications. If there
hadn't been a TeX Users Group, you people would probably all be
typing your stuff in SuperWYLBUR and printing it on line
printers. Their address:
    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 9506
    Providence, RI 02940-09506
    401-751-7760
    tug@math.ams.com

Getting Public Domain TeX software for the IBM PC. Jon Radel has
dedicated his whole spare time to collecting and distributing
public domain TeX software for the PC. He has very close to
everything available (yes, he has emTeX). He distributes
everything at cost (and even does some bartering in the flag
(yes, FLAG) department). You can get a complete list of software
available from him by sending an envelope large enough to hold
8.5x11 sheets of paper folded in half and sufficient postage for
12 sheets of paper at:
    Jon Radel
    P.O. Box 2276
    Reston, VA 22090

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (07/27/90)

In article <7937@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) writes:

   It occurred to me that I tend to say a lot of the same things
   over and over again so maybe I should say them all at once.
but you say them so well!

   Unix TeX. Get the tape. It is up to date, well-organized, and the
   money helps pay for a really good support structure that is there
   to help you with any problems you encounter and to help keep Unix
I have some diffculty in agreeing 100% with Don on this one. Firstly,
its not very efficient for people to get tapes from America when they
live in nice places like Europe. UK users, for instance, are better
off getting a tape from the UK TeX Archive. Secondly, if one *does*
have easy access to FTP, why not use it? many people find dealing with
tapes an enormous trouble - I'm in a computer science department, and
am supposed to understand these things, but my little heart still sinks at
the slow and messy business of dealing with brown string things on
reels. Yes, I know it makes money for Unix TeX development, so I feel
guilty about not telling everyone to give their money to Washington,
but life is kinda short. Thirdly, I am afraid I find that the
Washington tape does not currently contain all I normally recommend to
people. It is not as up to date as you can get with some simple
trawling of the networks - thats not a reflection on Washington, just
that an inevitable consequence of the fact that they don't update the
tape every week!

   The TeX Users Group. It's $35, folks. That's two and a third CDs
   (or four from the "Nice Price" line). You will find that TUGboat

$35 to you, Don. more if you want to live outside America....

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (07/28/90)

In article <SPQR.90Jul27102321@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes...
>In article <7937@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) writes:
>   The TeX Users Group. It's $35, folks. That's two and a third CDs
>   (or four from the "Nice Price" line). You will find that TUGboat

>$35 to you, Don. more if you want to live outside America....

True. It's $45 dollars for those living outside North America,
but then CD's, according to a recent post in rec.music.cd are
also more expensive outside N. America so I think the translation
into compact disks still holds. :-)

I did want to make it clear what the non-US price was, though,
lest someone think Sebastian's "more" is actually "gobs more",
which it isn't.

-dh

---

wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (07/30/90)

In article <7969@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>In article <SPQR.90Jul27102321@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk>, spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes...
>>In article <7937@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) writes:
>>   The TeX Users Group. It's $35, folks. That's two and a third CDs
>>   (or four from the "Nice Price" line). You will find that TUGboat

I was going to ask about this at tug@math.ams.com. But the mail bounces with

No such file or directory.

So I guess taht something is wrong in mailling??

Regards,

	Willem Jan Withagen

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven
The Netherlands