[comp.text.tex] PBMplus pbm <---> TeX PK Font conversions software

forrest@eemips.tamu.edu (Bob Forrest) (08/01/90)

  A friend forwarded the message below from Don Hosek to me.
I thought some of you might be interested in another pbm tool to
add to your collection.  I'm sure the software could have been
implemented better and much easier -- but, it works...

    I have implemented the TeX PK font generation from pbmplus pbm files.
(The basic routines take a bitmap in the computer's memory, and
produce a TeX PK font character out of it).
Also, I have routines to take a TeX PK font file and generate pbm files.
Unfortunately, the routines are not entirely portable.  The basic portions
are written in fortran 77  (originally written to be a
device driver for the fortran PGPLOT graphics subroutine library
of Dr. T.J. Pearson of the California Institute of Technology's Astronomy
department).  We have versions which work on a Vax running VMS, a
MIPS RC3240 running System V UNIX with BSD extensions, a SUN SPARCSTATION 1
running BSD UNIX, and an HP9000 running System V UNIX.  The  nonportable
problems come from the use in fortran of BYTE variables, and the
%VAL() function to pass the value of a variable to a
subroutine ( the value is the address of some dynamically
allocated memory).  Also, the routines are a mixture of C and
Fortran so you need to have a mixed language programming
environment.  If you are interested, you can ftp these from
128.194.3.2  with the account  anonymous    and the password   guest
(this is a Vax 11/785 running VMS 5.2 and MultiNet v2.1 TCPIP ).
The tar files are named   pbmplus.tar   and are located in the
subdirectory corresponding to one of the 4 computers listed above.
For the vms version, you can ftp a backup saveset instead if you wish
-- you can use the reblock.exe program to reblock the saveset
after ftp-ing it (if you have MultiNet TCPIP, then just set
'struct vms' and you do not need to reblock it).  Please only
ftp during 18:00-08:00 College Station, Texas time  --
our machine gets heavily loaded during the daytime.

(Our pbmplus distribution came from a recent posting of the VMS
and Unix version posted to read-news vmsnet.sources.d by Terry Poot
of McCall Pattern Company).  I will post the TeX PK font
stuff to  vmsnet.sources.d  later today as VMS_SHARE files.

   bob forrest
   forrest@ee.tamu.edu
   forrest@eemips.tamu.edu
   forrest@tamvxee    -- bitnet
   % Electrical Engineering department
   409-845-7441
   Zachry Engineering Center
   Texas A&M University
   College Station, Texas 77843

P.S.  This version has a couple of bug-fixes to the version
listed below that ACS currently has running
(finding the number of repeated solid rows
that extend across the entire minimal bounding box of the
graphics character for the TeX PK font generation [ an assignment
from a byte variable was not converted properly for those systems
which store bytes as -128 to 127]), and a logic check for characters
that have less than 8 dots horizontally and/or vertically.  This version
now does all calculations using standard fortran 77 and then stores
the results into the nonstandard byte variable (earlier versions
of this software did calculations with nonstandard byte variables).
----