[comp.text.tex] Latex to hypertext?

harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki) (07/31/90)

I am using LaTeX to write a textbook that I would like to give out to students
also in hypertext-format on diskette. The book contains lot's of
cross-references, glossaries, index-markings etc. Is there some neat way to
convert those markings to hypertext-links for Guide, Hyper-Ties or some similar
program? I'm mainly interested in a Dos-version, but portability to Mac and VMS
would be a bonus.

muller@src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) (08/01/90)

In article <2831.26b566ec@cc.helsinki.fi> harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki) writes:

>    From: harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki)
>    Newsgroups: comp.text.tex

>    I am using LaTeX to write a textbook that I would like to give out to students
>    also in hypertext-format on diskette. The book contains lot's of
>    cross-references, glossaries, index-markings etc. Is there some neat way to
>    convert those markings to hypertext-links for Guide, Hyper-Ties or some similar
>    program? I'm mainly interested in a Dos-version, but portability to Mac and VMS
>    would be a bonus.

I don't know if there is a version of GNUemacs for DOS.. but if you can find that,
then you could use LaTeXinfo, which is a LaTeX based version of emacs hypertext
tool: Texinfo. (and there _is_ emacs on Vms)

Here is an extract of the README:

} This is version 1.2 of the LaTeXinfo documentation, and is for Version 18
} of GNU Emacs.

} Documentation for GNU utilities and libraries is usually written in a
} format called "TeXinfo".  This document describes an enhancement
} of this format which can be used with LaTeX instead of TeX.

} Mike Clarkson (mike@ists.ists.ca)

I don't know if there are any ftp-sites for that (it has been posted in comp.emacs),
otherwise I can send you the shar files. This is a really neat tool, the only
feature I'd like is a translation of LaTeX tables in the info (hypertext) file..
but I hope GNU will support this tool.

Cheers,
Christophe.
--
 = Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from ...to choose from =

dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) (08/04/90)

In article <2831.26b566ec@cc.helsinki.fi>, harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo
Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki) writes:

> I am using LaTeX to write a textbook that I would like to give out to
> students also in hypertext-format on diskette. The book contains lot's of
> cross-references, glossaries, index-markings etc. Is there some neat way to
> convert those markings to hypertext-links for Guide, Hyper-Ties or some
> similar program?

Digital's DOCUMENT software is a structural markup system that does this
kind of thing.  As well as the usual typeset output (currently via TeX) it
can also produce hypertext for the DECwindows Bookreader application.

I'm not familiar with Guide et al., but if they have a markup langauge for
text input, than perhaps you could write your source document in this
language, and LaTeX it with a style option that maps the hypertext commands
onto LaTeX commands  with appropriate use of \let, \def and \catcode.
Conversely, you could map LaTeX command onto hypertext commands if the
macroing was powerful enough.

On a more general note, let  me try to stir up some controversy:  Would any
WYSIWYG apologist like to argue against structural markup for this
application?  Surely "WYSIWYG" is meaningless when "What You Get" can be
more than one thing.