[comp.text.tex] DVI-Merge??

muenx@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Holger Muenx) (07/27/90)

Hi!

I want to use LaTeX and PiCTeX together with TreeTeX, a macro package for
typesetting trees. Including both packages results in an error 'No room for
a new \dimen'. As TeX provides only 256 dimen registers there seems to be no
simple and clean way to solve this problem.

Someone told me that there exists a program called 'DVI-Merge' which is able
to merge two seperate built dvi files. The name of the auther is Ken Yap (I
am not absolutely sure). Does anybody use it? How can I get it?

                                                       -Holger

|| Holger Muenx, IRB, Universitaet Dortmund, 4600 Dortmund, West-Germany ||
||          Internet: muenx@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de             ||

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (07/28/90)

In article <2348@laura.UUCP> muenx@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Holger Muenx) writes:

   I want to use LaTeX and PiCTeX together with TreeTeX, a macro package for
   typesetting trees. Including both packages results in an error 'No room for
   a new \dimen'. As TeX provides only 256 dimen registers there seems to be no
   simple and clean way to solve this problem.

try this. just reload the macros every time you need them, inside a {
} pair. ugly, but it works. I just wish I could remember why!

% Tim Bradshaw 1989
% -*-LaTeX-*
% hackalloc.sty: make allocation local for LaTeX.
% This redefines the allocation primitive so _all_ allocation becomes
% block-local after this is loaded; no idea what the side-effects of this
% may be.  If it breaks, change \alloc@ to \localloc@, and either redefine
% just what you need to use \alloc@, or define \locnew* for local
% allocation, as in the commented lines.
% NOTE: lying again... this doesn't work for inserts which are still
% global.

%\def\locnewdimen{\localloc@1\dimen\dimendef\insc@unt}
%\def\localloc@#1#2#3#4#5{\advance\count1#1 by 1
\def\alloc@#1#2#3#4#5{\advance\count1#1 by 1
  \ch@ck#1#4#2% Check room
  \allocationnumber=\count1#1
  #3#5=\allocationnumber
  \wlog{Locally \string#5=\string#2\the\allocationnumber}}

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

(Holger Muenx) writes:
>Someone told me that there exists a program called 'DVI-Merge' which is able
>to merge two seperate built dvi files. The name of the auther is Ken Yap (I
>am not absolutely sure).

There is a `dviconcat' program in the December 1989 beta version of
the MC-TeX software, available for anonymous FTP from mimsy.umd.edu
(128.8.128.8) as the compressed Unix tar file `tex/mctex.beta.1dec89.Z'.

(There is one fix for this distribution, which I have yet to package up,
and someday I have to do something about virtual fonts---without, I
hope, slowing all the programs down too much....)
	(New campus phone system, active sometime soon: +1 301 405 2750)