[comp.text.tex] Hard-to-find fonts

tchow@ub.d.umn.edu (Timothy Chow) (08/04/90)

Are any of the following fonts public domain?  If so (or even if not),
where are they available?

1. Script.  I don't mean \cal or eusm; what I'm looking for is a very
   fine-lined swirly script font that you see in most journals and
   math texts (e.g., Springer-Verlag UTM and GTM).

2. A bold italic font in the Computer Modern family.

3. PostScript equivalents of cmmi and cmsy that are visually compatible
   with the Times family.  (What I want here is to be able to create a
   document where the main text is Times Roman and everything else is
   aesthetically compatible with it.  The Computer Modern family of
   fonts nauseates me.)

4. Some font that contains an empty set symbol that is a circle with a
   45 degree slash through it.  (I know I could just teach myself
   Metafont, but I was hoping for an easier way.)

raja@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Raja Sooriamurthi) (08/04/90)

tchow@ub.d.umn.edu (Timothy Chow) writes:

>4. Some font that contains an empty set symbol that is a circle with a
>   45 degree slash through it.  (I know I could just teach myself
>   Metafont, but I was hoping for an easier way.)

Page 45, LaTeX manual Table3.7: Miscellaneous Symbols :-   \emptyset

- Raja
raja@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

ps. Did you really think Knuth would have left this out :)

tchow@ub.d.umn.edu (Timothy Chow) (08/05/90)

In article <169@ub.d.umn.edu> I wrote:

<2. A bold italic font in the Computer Modern family.

Thanks to Gerald Edgar for pointing me to cmbxti and cmmib.

<3. PostScript equivalents of cmmi and cmsy that are visually compatible
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I should add cmex to this list.  Also, to avoid confusion, I should
point out that the letters a..z and A..Z in Times-Italic are perfectly
good substitutes for the letters in cmmi, but I'm looking for the other
symbols in the cmmi font.

<   with the Times family.  (What I want here is to be able to create a
<   document where the main text is Times Roman and everything else is
<   aesthetically compatible with it.  The Computer Modern family of
<   fonts nauseates me.)

<4. Some font that contains an empty set symbol that is a circle with a
<   45 degree slash through it.  (I know I could just teach myself
<   Metafont, but I was hoping for an easier way.)

Thanks again to Gerald Edgar for pointing me to the msym font.  The
empty set symbol occurs in position "3F.
--
Timothy Chow       tchow@ub.d.umn.edu

dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (08/06/90)

><3. PostScript equivalents of cmmi and cmsy that are visually compatible
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>I should add cmex to this list.  Also, to avoid confusion, I should
>point out that the letters a..z and A..Z in Times-Italic are perfectly
>good substitutes for the letters in cmmi, but I'm looking for the other
>symbols in the cmmi font.

Take a close look at {\it a\/} versus $a$ in Computer Modern and
note the difference. It is noticable and when one is typesetting
theorems in italic type, it becomes rather important. The text
italic letters are perhaps adequate substitutes, but I would
hesitate to say that they're "perfectly good substitutes."

><   with the Times family.  (What I want here is to be able to create a
><   document where the main text is Times Roman and everything else is
><   aesthetically compatible with it.  The Computer Modern family of
><   fonts nauseates me.)

The current situation on this front is: (1) The AMS has created a
set of fonts for use with the APS Times for their journals. This
is described in TUGboat 10#4 (the conference proceedings issue).
They might work with other versions of Times. For more
information write to Regina Girouard <rmg@math.ams.com>.

(2) Someone in Europe created a PostScript font called MoreMath
which fills in some of the gaps left by the PS Symbol font. I
don't have a name or address for this. Perhaps someone who has
the information from the Karlsruhe conference can post this.

(3) TeXplorators (the people who brought us LAmSTeX) have Times
math italic, symbol and math extension fonts based on the
BitStream Times. Again, I don't have an address handy.

-dh

---
Don Hosek                         TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont Consulting and
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu         production work. Free Estimates.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet
uunet!jarthur!ymir                Phone: 714-625-0147

deby@cs.utwente.nl (Rolf de By) (08/06/90)

In article <53189@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, raja@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Raja Sooriamurthi) writes:
|>tchow@ub.d.umn.edu (Timothy Chow) writes:
|>
|>>4. Some font that contains an empty set symbol that is a circle with a
|>>   45 degree slash through it.  (I know I could just teach myself
|>>   Metafont, but I was hoping for an easier way.)
|>
|>Page 45, LaTeX manual Table3.7: Miscellaneous Symbols :-   \emptyset
|>
|>- Raja
|>raja@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
|>
|>ps. Did you really think Knuth would have left this out :)

Do you really think that that's a circle?

If you really want a true circle try the msbm fonts character `077

ajcd@harpo.cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) (08/06/90)

In article <8036@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, dhosek@hmcvax.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) writes:
> (2) Someone in Europe created a PostScript font called MoreMath
> which fills in some of the gaps left by the PS Symbol font. I
> don't have a name or address for this. Perhaps someone who has
> the information from the Karlsruhe conference can post this.

From the EuroTeX89 program:

\title{\bf MoreMath -- A new PostScript font of mathematical symbols}
\author{\it P.~D.~Bacsich}

The author has created a PostScript font of useful symbols for mathematics,
computer science and science/technology applications. The font provides most
of the symbols in Computer Modern, but has been designed to match the metric
parameters, weight, and appearance of the Adobe Times font. Additional symbols
in the font include a set to cover the requirements of the VDM software
development method and a set of physics/chemistry symbols commonly found in
PC-based scientific text processing packages.

The paper will cover the following issues:

  1. metric analysis of an existing PostScript font eg Times

  2. differences in metrics and appearance between MoreMath and CM Maths
     Symbol

  3. creation of PostScript and screen characters using Fontographer and
     Fontastic

  4. resolution issues in the range 300-1270 dpi : is resolution-independence
     feasible in this range?

  5. experience with MoreMath in Mac packages

  6. experience with MoreMath in TeX

  7. MoreMath and Lucida

  8. remaining gaps in PostScript font coverage for scientific fonts,
     including survey of current work by Adobe, Linotype and other vendors

  9. work in progress on further development of MoreMath and related fonts

--
The author's address is given as:

  Paul D. Bacsich, The Open University, Cyclops-Tech Electronic Pub,
  P.O. Box 136, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA, UK

==
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| Ignorance of the manual is
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			| no excuse.
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,		| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| OR:  ajcd%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk