Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 14:42 MET
From: CGL%RUG.NL@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Final program SGML-TeX conf. 31 Aug, Groningen.

Program seminar, some courses, how to get there               Version 3/8/90

Program      TeX-SGML seminar 31 aug 1990, Groningen

 9.00 - 10.00 Welcome, registration, coffee
10.00 - 10.15 Opening
10.15 - 11.00 Language technology and the future of text automation
              Gerard Kempen (KUN)

11.00 - 11.30 Coffee
11.30 - 12.15 Two faces of text            SGML at European Patent Office
              Joop van Gent (KUB)          Terry Rowlay (EPO)
12.15 - 13.00 TeX and electronic exchange  Aspects of a marriage: SGML and TeX
              Malcolm Clark (ICRF)         Tibor Tscheke (Univ Wurzburg)

13.00 - 14.00 Lunch

14.00 - 14.45 Getting TeXnical             Publishing with TeX and LaTeX:
              Amy Hendrickson              a crash course
              (TeXnology Inc.)             Sake Hoogeveen (UvA)
14.45 - 15.15                              14.45 - 15.30
              Documentstyle designer as    SGML applications in the building
              a separate entity            and construction industry
              Victor Eijkhout, Andries     K.L. Oey (TNO)
                     Lenstra (KUN)
15.15 - 15.45 WG13 activities: Babel etc.
              Johannes Braams
              (Neher lab. PTT)

15.45 - 16.00 Tea                          15.30 - 16.00 Tea

16.00 - 16.45 TUGboat production:          SGML and TeX at
              TeX, LaTeX and paste-up      Elsevier Science Publishers
              Barbara Beeton (TUG/AMS)     Jeroen Soutberg(ESP)

16.45 - 17.30 SGML and TeX: Reflections
              Manfred Kruger (MID)
Last minute speakers added as an extra
17.30 - 18.00 Future of LaTeX3.?            Presentation rules and rules
              Frank Mittelbach              of composition in the formatting
                                            of complex text
                                            Richard Southall(Rank Xerox)

17.30 -       Cocktail party

All day: Vendor/Demonstration booths

Note: Conference language is changed into English

The costs are:
          DFL. 75,- (members (+ members any TeX Users Group))
              150,- (nonmembers)
               25,_ (students)

Registration: Koen Mulder, SGML Holland Users Group
                           Postbus 1148, 6801MK, Arnhem, The Netherlands
                           Giro 2905269

Information: C.G. van der Laan (cgl@rug.nl)

--------------  Courses  --------------------

SGML
Orientation/introduction SGML (28 August)      Dfl  475,-
Hands-on passive knowledge SGML (29-30 August)      900,-
Hands-on active knowledge SGML (3-4 Sept.)          900,-

TeX                                            Non-profit   profit Organization
TeX intermediate (28-29-30 August)             Dfl  750,-   1250,-
TeX advanced (3-4-5 Sept)                           750,-   1250,-
(Members any TeX users Group 20% discount)

Registration c.q. information see above.

--------------  How to get there?  --------------------

                                                           Version 2/8/90
SGML-TeX-seminar 31 Aug, 1990

How to arrive at University Centre at Paddepoel, Groningen?

Address: Zernike Gebouw: Landleven 12, Postbox 800, 9700AB, Groningen
         Rekencentrum:   Landleven 1 , Postbox 800, 9700AV, Groningen

From Schiphol (airport) to Groningen
Take a train (direct) to Groningen. From Groningen at railway station take
bus no 5 direction (University Complex) Paddepoel (end of line);
it takes about half an hour.
A taxi will take about 10 minutes.

By car
General local reference point:  roundabout (`Martinihal', `Stadspark')

From roundabout (`Martinihal', `Stadspark')
Follow direction Zuidhorn.
Turn right at Pleiadenbrug direction Paddepoel (Pleiadenlaan).
Second lights turn left (Shopping centre; Zonnelaan).
Continue and you will end up at University Centre Paddepoel.

From direction Assen (South), Hoogezand (East) or Drachten (West)
Follow direction Zuidhorn (Periferal highway).
Signs will direct you North at roundabout. (See further at from roundabout)

Map (schematically)
                  ________
  N              |  _  _  |
W + E            | |_ZG_| |  Zernike Gebouw
  S              |   |  . ||
                 |   || . || Chemistry
     Univ. Compl |   || . ||
     Paddepoel   |   || . |
                 |RC|.... |
                 |      . |Guards|
                 |______ _|                    ^ Enlarged
                        ^                      |
                        | Zonnelaan            |
     ____________       |    __________________________________
                        |                                       /
                        |                                      /Bedum
      Zuidhorn      __________________________________________/
     <-------------|    .                                     |
                   |    .                                     |
               ... + ....(Pleiadenlaan)                       |Periferal
                   |                                          |     Road
                   |                Downtown                  |
                   |          .  Railway St.             .    |
    Drachten       | MH       .                          .    |
   <---------------O__________________________________________|
            Round   .         +                          +
              about .         |                          |
                    .         |                          |  Hoogezand
                              | Assen                    \
                              v                           \

Date:    06/27/90 12:02:29 GMT+1
From: UO04%DDAGSI3@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: boldface AND unboldface in formulas, LaTeX

H.Friedrich Kammer
0441/798-3467
FB Physik Theorie Universitaet Oldenburg
Postfach 2503
D-2900 Oldenburg FRG

Some months ago (about January) there was a discussion about how
to redefine the \vec command to produce math boldface letters
instead of placing arrows above the letter. The main problem
with the solution described in the LaTeX manual (using \boldmath
in a \mbox) was the wrong size of the vectors when used as
subscripts. Another solution that works is changing LFONTS.TEX
(or changing font definitions in another way) so that math boldface
is selected always in the right size.
Now I ran across a solution which is short and portable (i.e. needs
no changes to the LaTeX standard font setup). It works by exploiting
the \mathchoice command, which is useful to select cases with respect
to the current style setting. I use the following macros to redefine
the \vec command:
%%%  VECTBOLD.STY %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\def\mbf#1{{%         \mbf{X} makes X a math bold letter
\mathchoice%          selects with respect to current style
{\hbox{\boldmath$\displaystyle{#1}$}}%      case 1 is displaystyle
{\hbox{\boldmath$\textstyle{#1}$}}%         case 2 is textstyle
{\hbox{\boldmath$\scriptstyle{#1}$}}%       case 3 is scriptstyle
{\hbox{\boldmath$\scriptscriptstyle{#1}$}}% case 4 is scriptscriptstyle
}}
%\def\vectorsbold{\def\vec{\mbf}}           % vectors in math boldface
%\def\vectorsarrow{\def\vec{\mathaccent"017E }}  % as usual
\def\vec{\mbf}
%%%  END OF VECTBOLD.STY %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Maybe this is today old stuff, but I find it very useful.
\vectorsbold and \vectorsarrow can be included to switch between
tyhe notations, despite probably nobody will do so in one document.
                                                     Friedrich Kammer

Date: 26 Jun 90 15:08:58 GMT
From: cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell)
Subject: New version of bbfig available

After much thrashing around, and the usual amount of self-inflicted
pain, I"ve managed to get the new version of bbfig working pretty
well.  Unlike Ned's original rather more modest claims [that it screwed
up some of the time], I've tried to hammer on it *quite* hard, and it
seems to really work now in the face of most everything I've thrown at
it.

Let me qualify this a little bit: I started on this because I had a bunch of
PS files that bb just didn't do the right thing with... it either blew up, or
just got the bbox wrong.  I've fixed all those.  It has never pretended to
deal with clipping regions or images... on the other hand...

I'm now not quite sure what to do with it.  I'll be happy just to post
the shar file, but should it find its way to an archive someplace?

I'm also happy to try giving it some support, so if you have a PS file
that confuses it, fire it off to me and I'll see if I can coerce bbfig
handle it.

This still stands, so if you HAVE a file with some kind of junk in it (e.g.,
some exotic use of clipping paths or what not), I'll see if I can dope it
out...

Lemme know what the right next thing to do is....

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02138
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 14:35:22 EDT
From: INHB000 <INHB%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Matrices in exponents

I got curious about the problem about putting matrices in exponents as
in the recent item from Stephen Gildea.  His solution is clever, but
doesn't go far enough and the results look terrible.  The same idea
applied to plain's \pmatrix looks much better and it can even be
redefined so as to do it automatically.  To contrast the two, run the
following file through LaTeX:

\def\pmatrix#1{\mathchoice
{\everymath={\displaystyle}\left(\matrix{#1}\right)}
{\left(\matrix{#1}\right)}  %% plain TeX's definition of \pmatrix
{\everymath={\scriptstyle}\left(\matrix{#1}\right)}
{\everymath={\scriptscriptstyle}\left(\matrix{#1}\right)}
}

\begin{document}

%% Gildea's example
$X^{\everymath={\scriptstyle}
    \left(\begin{array}{cc}
    a & b \\
    c & d
    \end{array}\right)}$

$X^{\pmatrix{a&b\cr c&d\cr}}$
\end{document}

Of course, the results are, ``somewhat expensive in terms of time and
space'' [TeXbook, p. 151], so I would include that definition only if I
used it a number of times in a paper.

Michael Barr
inhb@mcgillb.bitnet
inhb@musicb.mcgill.ca

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 12:55:34 +0200 (Central European Summer Time)
From: XCGNSTEX%DDATHD21.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU (M. GAERTNER)
Subject:  Problems with expanding preamble in \halign

Hi TeXnikians,
after several days of countless trys, I now ask the world about my problem.
I like to create a macro under PLAINTeX which has an optional parameter.
This macro should expand to a \halign.
If the parameter (enclosed in brackets []) is present, it should design
the preamble for the \halign, if not, a default-preamble is used.
Ok, because a preamble is a list of tokens, I declared a new token-register
and set it to {} or to a value, depending on parameter there or not.
Fine. Unfortunately, \halign doesn't expand tokens in the preamble, exept
for \span\foo-constructs. So, writing \span\the\preamble was easy.
But now problems get harder...
When trying the default-preamble (no parameter!) the expansion is somewhat
weird!
TeX first expands the first preamble-entry (\hfil #), then the token AFTER
\span\the\preamble, then the second entry, followed by second token after
\span\the\preamble and so on... (see the .LIS-file)
So the timing is very ugly, if not to say worse then nothing!
The use of my macro-command presents the look
   b   c
def ghi hallo

and the error-message
{end of alignment template}
! Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr.
<template> \hfil \ddt \endtemplate

l.40 \macro a &
                b & c\cr%
?
Oh, dont't mind the error-message 'undef'nd control sequence \ddt'
since I made it to debugthe preamble...
Well, what happened here and how to fix it. Or better: how to write
a macro which does a \halign with either optional preamble or default
variable.

As you can see, I run TeX 2.991 on VMS (on ATARI ST too) with PLAIN 2.3
Thanks a lot...
%------------------------------<cut here>------------------------------
\tracingonline=1%
\newtoks\preamble%
\tracingcommands=2%
\tracingmacros=1%
\def\macro#1{%
    \let\crsave=\cr%
    \if[#1%
% Dieser Zweig ist ausser Betrieb...
%
        \let\next=\getnext%
        \preamble={}%
        \let\cr=\relax%
    \else%
        \preamble={\hfil ## & \hfil##\hfil & ##\hfil\ddt}%
%        \edef\cr{\crsave #1}%
        \let\next=\relax%
%        \def\next#1\endmacro{#1}%
    \fi%
    \halign to\hsize{%
        \span\the\preamble\cr%
        \span\iffalse}\fi
        \span\next%
}%
\def\endmacro{\iffalse{\else}\fi\let\cr=\crsave}
\macro a & b & c\cr%
def & ghi & hallo\cr%
\endmacro
%\macro[#\hfil & \hfil #\cr]%
%hallo & Und was jetzt?\cr%
%soso & soistes\cr%
%\endmacro%
\bye

This is TeX, Vax/VMS Version 2.991 (preloaded format=plain 89.12.14)  24 JUN 199
0 19:03
**&plain test1
(TEX$GROUP:[TEX]TEST1.TEX;2
\preamble=\toks12

{vertical mode: \tracingmacros}
{\def}
{\def}
{blank space  }

\macro #1->\let \crsave =\cr \if [#1\let \next =\getnext \preamble ={}\let \cr
=\relax \else \preamble ={\hfil ## & \hfil ##\hfil & ##\hfil \ddt }\let \next =
\relax \fi \halign to\hsize {\span \the \preamble \cr \span \iffalse }\fi \span
 \next
#1<-a
{\let}
{\if}
{false}
{\toks12}
{\let}
{\fi}
{\halign}
{internal vertical mode: \the}
{restricted horizontal mode: \hfil}
{blank space  }
{end of alignment template}
{\iffalse}
{false}
{\hfil}
{\hfil}
{end of alignment template}
{\relax}
{blank space  }
{\hfil}
{undefined}
! Undefined control sequence.
<template> \hfil \ddt
                      \endtemplate
l.40 \macro a &
                b & c\cr%
?
{end of alignment template}
! Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr.
<template> \hfil \ddt \endtemplate

l.40 \macro a &
                b & c\cr%
?
{\hfil}
{the letter b}
{blank space  }
{blank space  }
{end of alignment template}
{\hfil}
{the letter c}
{\hfil}
{end of alignment template}
{\hfil}
{the letter d}
{blank space  }
{blank space  }
{end of alignment template}
{\hfil}
{the letter g}
{blank space  }
{\hfil}
{end of alignment template}
{the letter h}
{\hfil}
{undefined}
! Undefined control sequence.
<template> \hfil \ddt
                      \endtemplate
l.41 def & ghi & hallo\cr
                         %
?
{end of alignment template}

\endmacro ->\iffalse {\else }\fi \let \cr =\crsave
{internal vertical mode: \iffalse}
{false}

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in alignment at lines 40--42
[][][]

\hbox(0.0+0.0)x469.75499
\glue(\tabskip) 0.0
\unsetbox(0.0+0.0)x19.72224
\glue(\tabskip) 0.0
\unsetbox(0.0+0.0)x16.6667
\glue(\tabskip) 0.0
etc.

{vertical mode: \fi}
{\let}

\bye ->\par \vfill \supereject \end
{\par}
{\vfill}

\supereject ->\par \penalty -\@MM
{\par}
{\penalty}

\plainoutput ->\shipout \vbox {\makeheadline \pagebody \makefootline }\advancep
ageno \ifnum \outputpenalty >-\@MM \else \dosupereject \fi
{internal vertical mode: \shipout}

\makeheadline ->\vbox to\z@ {\vskip -22.5\p@ \line {\vbox to8.5\p@ {}\the \head
line }\vss }\nointerlineskip
{\vbox}
{\vskip}

\line ->\hbox to\hsize
{\hbox}
{restricted horizontal mode: \vbox}
{internal vertical mode: end-group character }}
{restricted horizontal mode: \the}
{\hfil}
{end-group character }}
{internal vertical mode: \vss}
{end-group character }}

\nointerlineskip ->\prevdepth -1000\p@
{\prevdepth}

\pagebody ->\vbox to\vsize {\boxmaxdepth \maxdepth \pagecontents }
{\vbox}
{\boxmaxdepth}

\pagecontents ->\ifvoid \topins \else \unvbox \topins \fi \dimen@ =\dp \@cclv \
unvbox \@cclv \ifvoid \footins \else \vskip \skip \footins \footnoterule \unvbo
x \footins \fi \ifr@ggedbottom \kern -\dimen@ \vfil \fi
{\ifvoid}
{true}
{\else}
{\dimen0}
{\unvbox}
{\ifvoid}
{true}
{\else}
{\iffalse}
{false}
{end-group character }}

\makefootline ->\baselineskip 24\p@ \line {\the \footline }
{\baselineskip}

\line ->\hbox to\hsize
{\hbox}
{restricted horizontal mode: \the}
{\hss}
{select font cmr10}

\folio ->\ifnum \pageno <\z@ \romannumeral -\pageno \else \number \pageno \fi
{\ifnum}
{false}
{\number}
{the character 1}
{\fi}
{\hss}
{end-group character }}
{internal vertical mode: end-group character }}
[1]
\advancepageno ->\ifnum \pageno <\z@ \global \advance \pageno \m@ne \else \glob
al \advance \pageno \@ne \fi
{\ifnum}
{false}
{\global}
{\fi}
{\ifnum}
{false}

\dosupereject ->\ifnum \insertpenalties >\z@ \line {}\kern -\topskip \nobreak \
vfill \supereject \fi
{\ifnum}
{false}
{\fi}
{end-group character }}
{vertical mode: \end}
Output written on TEX$GROUP:[TEX]TEST1.DVI;1 (1 page, 248 bytes).
               M. Gaertner
        Fachbereichsrechner Maschinenbau
               TH Darmstadt
             Petersenstrasse 30
              D-6100 Darmstadt
BITNET:
        XCGNSTEX@DDATHD21.BITNET   (TeX)
        XCGNMGAE@DDATHD21.BITNET   (Privat)

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% JANET users may choose to use
%%%           texhax-request@uk.ac.nsf
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest