[comp.text.tex] OzTeX hash size increase

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (08/06/90)

From UKTeX Digest V90 #25
-------------------------
] > Does anyone have a version of OzTeX which has been generated
] > with a hash size of > 5,000?
] >
] My enquiries suggest not:
] So here is a plea to any MODULA2 hackers out there---
]   Please help us rectify this situation, otherwise OzTeX will go the
]   way of the Dodo (which, apparently, was quite a handsome bird).

This is not an easy task.  It does not require a Modula-2 expert.  It amounts
to replacing thousands of 4-digit numbers in the source code by other
4-digit numbers.  And it would only be a stop-gap measure, since
OzTeX should be converted to TeX 3.0 now anyway...

NEVERTHELESS, I offer to coordinate the task of increasing the hash
size in the OzTeX source code.  If I get 20 volunteers, I will go ahead
with it.  In order to help with this, you must have:
  *  MPW shell, latest version not necessary
  *  OzTeX 1.2 source code
  *  A copy of the book "TeX: The Program", by D. Knuth (Computers and
     Typesetting, volume B)
  *  Several hours of time to spend
Useful, but not absolutely necessary:
  *  Knowledge of the basic syntax of Pascal and of Modula-2
Not required (since your part won't compile anyway by itself):
  *  TML Modula-2 compiler

If you want to help, e-mail me at one of the addresses below.  I will reply
with details of what is involved.  Then, if you STILL want to go ahead, then I
will give you your particular assignment.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

cczdao@clan.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug5.183246.9576@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>
edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>This is not an easy task.  It does not require a Modula-2 expert.  It amounts
>to replacing thousands of 4-digit numbers in the source code by other
>4-digit numbers.  And it would only be a stop-gap measure, since
>OzTeX should be converted to TeX 3.0 now anyway...
>
>NEVERTHELESS, I offer to coordinate the task of increasing the hash
>size in the OzTeX source code.  If I get 20 volunteers, I will go ahead
>with it.

BEFORE YOU START...

i had an airmail letter this morning from Andrew Trevorrow, who's now
in India, but hard at work on his Mac IIcx on the latest version of OzTeX.

he says he has got a TeX V3 implementation under test now, for
inclusion in the next release, and that nearly all the important
parameters (mem_max, hash_size, trie_size, font_mem_size, etc) will be
settable in a config file.  this should solve the hash_size problem.

when?
well, Andrew mentions ``hopefully, Sept. some time'' for OzTeX 1.3 and
that he's got ``some other goodies planned for this new version''.
this isn't a firm date, you understand, but that's the intention.

--dave osborne
  university of nottingham & aston TeX archive group

David Osborne