[comp.text.tex] alignment

chin@ankh.ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) (08/08/90)

How is it possible to do the following in plain TeX:

xxxxxxx   yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy   zzzzzz
          yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
          yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I have tried using \halign but can't get it to work. Once you construct a
\vbox that goes beyond one line, will TeX "remember" which line to place
the "zzz" on when it finishes constructing "yyy"?

thanks.

albert chin ... mthvax!mamia!albert

tchow@ub.d.umn.edu (Timothy Chow) (08/09/90)

E-mail bounced.

In article <CHIN.90Aug8015827@ankh.ankh.ftl.fl.us>
chin@ankh.ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) writes:

>How is it possible to do the following in plain TeX:
>
>xxxxxxx   yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy   zzzzzz
>          yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
>          yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Below is one solution.  Note that the struts are necessary to get the
baselines spaced properly.

\hbox to\hsize{
\hsize=1in \vtop{Left side.}
\hfill
\hsize=4in \vtop{\noindent This is a slightly longer paragraph.  I will
fill it with junk just to make sure that it takes several lines to
typeset.  Of course, I could just type nonsense, but then \TeX's
hyphenation algorithm wouldn't work properly, would it?  Besides, it
gives me a chance to practice my typing.\strut}
\hfill
\hsize=1in \vtop{Right side.}
}

\strut And this is the next paragraph.