[comp.text.tex] UKTeX V90 #27

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (08/17/90)

Date: 		Fri, 17 AUG 90 16:20:35 BST

UKTeX Digest	Friday, 17 Aug 1990
		Volume 90 : Issue 27

Today's Topics:
			    latex hinting
		      How to get \typeout to ...
		  new version of emTeX, with TeX 3.0
			      tex files
				OzTeX
    PostScript previewer for VAXstation 3100 (and all VAX VMS ...)
			  \typeout problems
		   emTeX warning - get new version
		   new version of german.sty (2.3)
		  DVI driver for Panasonic KXP1124?
Re: [Oren Patashnik <opbibtex@Neon.Stanford.EDU>: BibTeX-for-plain-TeX
			    cmssbxsl font
			dvitops 1.1 available
			  RE: UKTeX V90 #22
			Missing TeXhax V90 #52
			  DVITOPS for VMS ??
		 Building TeX V3 from Aston Archives
			      Crop marks
		  AMSTeX version 2.0 in the archive
		    English documentation for MTeX

Moderator:       Peter Abbott
This issue edited by:
                 David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
                   <d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.clan>
Submissions:     uktex@uk.ac.aston
Administration:  uktex-request@uk.ac.aston

Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.UKTEX.90]
Latest TeXhax:    #55
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEXHAX.90]
Latest TeXmag:    V4 N3
Back Issues:     These are stored in the Aston archive, in the directory
                 DISK$TEX:[TEX-ARCHIVE.DIGESTS.TEX-MAG]

		       E d i t o r ' s  N o t e

I have changed the format of this issue to allow the use of digest
`bursting' software which can break down a digest into individual
messages.
    Technical details: the messages were collected from a VMS mailbox
at Aston, EXTRACTed into a single file, edited to remove VMS Mail
headers and change message-separator characters, then transferred to a
Unix system where the file was `inc'luded into an MH message folder
using the Rand MH message handling software, release 6.5.  The digest
was then constructed using the -digest flags on MH's `forw' program,
each message being filtered using the standard mhl.digest filter.

Date:    Thu, 09 Aug 90 17:11:02 -0000
Subject: latex hinting

 > I want to put the LaTeX file header stuff in a file, do a \input and
 > have it remind me where to start. So I want my header "style" file
 > to output a message like "Letter heading read. Now continue with
 > \begin{letter}{addressee}".  But how do I get \typeout to output

 > Allan Reese.
I dont know the answer to the question you asked, but the more generic
answer is `don't do it that way' - use a template file, or an
intelligent editor.  I use emacs, and hitting M-x letter asks me a few
questions, then puts me at the right place in an automatically
generated file for LaTeX letters, including my name, date etc

sebastian

- ------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 09 Aug 90 17:28:45 -0000
>From:    P.TAYLOR@UK.AC.RHBNC.VAX
Subject: How to get \typeout to ...

Allan ---

>>> I want to put the LaTeX file header stuff in a file, do a \input and
>>> have it remind me where to start. So I want my header "style" file
>>> to output a message like "Letter heading read. Now continue with
>>> \begin{letter}{addressee}".  But how do I get \typeout to output
>>> characters like \ and {} ?  I've tried \typeout{\backslash} and it
>>> comes out as \delimiter weird number!

perhaps something like:

\documentstyle {article}
\begin {document}
	\begingroup
	\def \passivate
	       {\count 0 = 0
		\loop
		\ifnum	\count 0 < 128
			\ifnum \catcode \count 0 = 11
				\else \catcode \count 0 = 12
			\fi
			\advance \count 0 by 1
		\repeat
		\catcode `\| = 0 % escape
		\catcode `\[ = 1 % open group
		\catcode `\] = 2 % close group
		\catcode `\^^M = 5 % end of line
		\catcode `\^^I = 10 % tab
		\catcode `\ = 10 % space

	       }
	\passivate
	|typeout [A message containing \s and {s and }s]
	|endgroup
\end {document}
					** Phil.

- ------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 Aug 90 17:43:07 -0000
>From:    Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>
Subject: new version of emTeX, with TeX 3.0

Eberhard Mattes has re-released his entire emTeX distribution  with
many changes and improvements. Obvious highlights are:

 - TeX 3.0
 - MF 2.0
 - drivers support virtual fonts
 - deskjet driver

but there is plenty more to keep people occupied for a few weeks
updating their installations.

The new set of ZIP archives will be available in the Aston Archive
from Monday August 12th, in BOO-encoded form. The English
documentation may now be out of date in places, until that too is
updated.

Sebastian Rahtz

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 13 Aug 90 08:31:23 +0100
>From:    G.O.Randall@uk.ac.durham
Subject: tex files

Files are required to use TeX on a PC1512 (with HD), printer is
Epsom comp.24 pin. Assumed required are public domain DVI generator
Preview and printer driver. Any assistance? Thanks. George.

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 13 Aug 90 08:54:38 -0000
>From:    ABBOTTP@UK.AC.ASTON.VAX.SPOCK
Subject: OzTeX

Note from Peter Abbott

I also have mail from Andrew and he will send version 1.3 for distribution
in September.

I can contact him easily and any bug reports sent to me will be forwarded
in the next batch of mail I send.

Andrew makes a point of mentioning hash_size as being defined in OZ.config.

Peter

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 13 Aug 90 12:53:28 -0000
>From:    PJH1@UK.AC.YORK.VAXB
Subject: PostScript previewer for VAXstation 3100 (and all VAX VMS ...)

VAX VMS PostScript Previewer:

The situation regarding the VMS "PostScript Previewer" is that DIGITAL had not
agreed licensing for multi user Display PostScript, specifically X DPS, until
the beginning of this year.  By this time it was too late to include in
VMS 5.3.  XDPS, and thus the "PostScript Previewer", is included in VMS 5.4
which is now, I understand, at Software Distribution for release.

It may well be that the implementation that was described in the early VMS
version 5 manuals differs from that released, hence the deletion of reference
from the 5.3 documentation - but that is guesswork!

Peter Halls, Chairman DECUS UK GRAP SIG.

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 13 Aug 90 16:27:58 -0000
>From:    Mike Piff <PM1MJP@UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.PRIMEA>
Subject: \typeout problems

R.A.Reese@Hull wants to know how to type out backslashes and braces.

Braces are no problem. They come out as braces. Control words and active
characters---such as ~ ---need to be preceded by \string. In LaTeX,
\protect works too. Thus

\typeout{\string\begin{document}}
\typeout{\protect\begin{document}}
\typeout{Use Mr.\string~Ious rather than Mr.\protect\ Ious}

will work. A non-paired brace will present problems, but would you want
that?

Mike Piff

>From   Dr M. J. Piff, Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Sheffield,
       The Hicks Building, Hounsfield Road, SHEFFIELD S3 7RH, England.
Tel.   SHEFFIELD(0742) 768555 Extension 4431.
JANET  MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.PA  or MPiff@UK.AC.SHEF.IBM

- ------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 13 Aug 90 17:37:12 -0000
>From:    Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>
Subject: emTeX warning - get new version

Between Saturday 11th and Monday 13th August, the copies of the emTeX
drivers in the UK TeX Archive at Aston were a version with a bug in;
this manifested itself with Hercules cards, and could cause damage to
your files. Eberhard Mattes has installed changed versions, and these
are now at Aston. But if you got the files
 dvidrv1.boo
 dvidrv2.boo
 dvidrv3.boo
 pkedit.boo
before 6pm Monday 13th, please get fresh copies.

Sebastian Rahtz

- ------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 14 Aug 90 09:51:20 -0000
>From:    Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>
Subject: new version of german.sty (2.3)

Readers of UKTeX who typeset German will want to know that the current
version of german.sty in
 [tex-archive.latex.contrib.german]german.sty
at Aston in the UK TeX Archive has been updated to version 2.3, as
described in the header below. Thanks to Rainer Schoepf for keeping us
up to date.

Sebastian

% This is GERMAN.TEX or GERMAN.DOC or GERMAN.STY, Vers. 2.3, 7 Aug 1990,
%    collected by H.Partl (TU Wien),
%    using ideas by W.Appelt, F.Hommes et al. (GMD St.Augustin),
%    T.Hofmann (CIBA-GEIGY Basel), N.Schwarz (Uni Bochum),
%    J.Schrod (TH Darmstadt), D.Armbruster (Uni Stuttgart),
%    R.Schoepf & F.Mittelbach (Uni Mainz), P.Breitenlohner (MPI Muenchen),
%    and others.
% DOCUMENT STYLE OPTION for writing german texts with TeX 2.x or LaTeX 2.09.
% It can be called via
%    \input german
% or (with LaTeX) via
%    \documentstyle[german]{anystyle}
%
% +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
% !  This file conforms to the standard  for  "Einheitliche deutsche  !
% !  TeX-Befehle" as proposed at the 6th Meeting of German TeX Users  !
% !  in Muenster, October 1987.                                       !
% +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

- ------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 14 Aug 90 15:52:22 +0000
>From:    PS0050163 @ UK.AC.OXFORD-POLY.PRIME-A
Subject: DVI driver for Panasonic KXP1124?

Dear Peter,

     Do you know of any DVI driver programs that run on PC's and generate
output for a Panasonic KXP1124 which is EPSON 2500 compatible. Both are
24 pin dot matrix printers. I have tried a number of dvidot programs
without success.

                Thanks very much,

                        Andrew Darnell, PS0050163 at Oxford Polytechnic.
                                        OXPOLY.A  or OXFORD-POLY.PRIME-A

- ------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 14 Aug 90 20:00:13 -0000
>From:    Sebastian Rahtz <spqr@uk.ac.soton.ecs>
Subject: Re: [Oren Patashnik <opbibtex@Neon.Stanford.EDU>:
              BibTeX-for-plain-TeX macros ]

 > From: Oren Patashnik <opbibtex@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
 > Subject: BibTeX-for-plain-TeX macros
 >
 > There is now distributed with BibTeX a set of TeX macros that makes
 > BibTeX work with plain TeX (and presumably with other macro packages
 > that don't deviate too far from plain TeX).  The file is btxmac.tex,
 > stored on Labrea.Stanford.EDU's BibTeX area (pub/tex/bibtex).

now available at Aston as [tex-archive.tex-style]btxmac.tex

sebastian rahtz

- ------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 14 Aug 90 23:22:28 -0000
>From:    "Johannes L. Braams" <JL_BRAAMS%NL.PTTRNL@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY>
Subject: cmssbxsl font

    Hi all,

        After my request for a cmssbxsl font I received seversal replies,
        some of them telling me they were in search of the same thing.
        With this message I would like to summarize the responses.

        Sebastian Rahtz, spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk, wrote:

= you'll tell me i'm boring if i say that Lucida Sans has an excellent
= bold italic, as do all postscript sans fonts....
=
= sebastian
        I knew, but that wasn't what I was looking for this time

        Don Hosek, DHOSEK@HMCVAX.BITNET, wrote:

- - - If you send me the size, expansion factor etc., I can send you the MF
- - - for this (part of my custom font services). Since this is a fairly
- - - simple task, I'll gladly do it for a good bottle of Dutch beer (you'll
- - - have to mail it to me though since I don't see myself in Europe anytime
- - - soon).
- - -
- - - -dh

        Thanks for the offer Don, but by the time your response reached
        me we already had a solution. The way to go was pointed by
        Dave Osborne (cczdao@clan.nott.ac.uk), who wrote:

= when i needed a slanted form of cmssdc10 (sans serif demibold condensed),
= i changed the setting of slant from "slant := 0;" to "slant := 1/6;",
= saved the result in a file called cmssdcsl10 and METAFONTed it.
= it is trivial to do the same to cmssbx10, to make cmssbxsl10,
= which should meet your needs.
=
= i asked Don Knuth at the time about the choice of name (basically,
= `was i allowed to call this a CM font?') and he said something to the
= effect of `yes, we use one-off fonts at Stanford all the time'.
=
= - dave osborne
=   university of nottingham & aston TeX archive group
=
        Inspection of the difference between cmr10 and cmsl10 learned us
        that this was the only difference (apart from the header).
        Inspection of cmssi10.mf revealed a slightly different value for
        slant:

slant:=sind 12/cosd 12;    % tilt ratio $(\Delta x/\Delta y)$

        We tried both values for slant, but the one retreived from
        cmssi10.mf looked best to us, so that's what we're using now.

% Computer Modern Sans Serif Bold Extended 10 pt
if unknown cmbase: input cmbase fi

font_identifier:="CMSSBX"; font_size 10pt#;
        into
% Computer Modern Sans Serif Bold Extended Slanted 10 pt
if unknown cmbase: input cmbase fi

font_identifier:="CMSSBXSL"; font_size 10pt#;

        Than replace
slant:=0;      % tilt ratio $(\Delta x/\Delta y)$
        with
slant:=sind 12/cosd 12;    % tilt ratio $(\Delta x/\Delta y)$

        and you have created cmssbxsl10.mf
        The same can be done to smaller versions of the font if needed.
        The only thing left to do is fire up METAFONT to create the font(s).

        I hope this helps all who have the same need for a font like
        cmssbxsl.

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research Neher Laboratorium,        P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : JL_Braams@pttrnl.nl
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-mail was :
    EARN/BITnet : BRAAMS@HLSDNL5   UUCP        : hp4nl!dnlunx!johannes
    SURFnet     : DNLTS::BRAAMS    INTERnet    : BRAAMS%HLSDNL5@CUNYVM.cuny.edu
 PSS (DATAnet1) : +204 1170358::BRAAMS
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- ------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 15 Aug 90 21:09:26 -0000
>From:    James Clark <JJC%UUCP.JCLARK@UK.AC.UKC>
Subject: dvitops 1.1 available

I finally got round to doing another version of dvitops.  I have tried
to merge in support for various systems that people have kindly sent
me.  There are now separate configuration files for UNIX, MS-DOS,
PRIMOS, VAX/VMS and VM/CMS.  The bad news is that I now only have
access to UNIX systems, and so that's the only configuration that I've
tested; there are likely to be compilation glitches on other systems.

If you do try it out on a non-UNIX system, and find that changes are
needed to make it work, please let me know what they are.

It's available at Aston in [tex-archive.drivers.dvi2ps.dvitops].

James Clark
jjc@jclark.uucp

- ------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 16 Aug 90 11:38:00 -0000
>From:    CENSWM@UK.AC.HERIOT-WATT.VAXB
Subject: RE: UKTeX V90 #22

            A REQUEST TO HELP an Indian Charity
           =====================================

 PIPASSANA (A Charity recognised by the Indian Government) are looking
for a person to volunteer to help them with a PostScript programming
problem.

They need someone who can add some simple accents to the Bitstream
Fonts, or the Laserwriters own fonts. They are using Ventura on an AT
compatible. If anyone out there is interested..... please contact

                    Geoff Caplan
                    13 Rankeillor Street
                    Edinburgh
                    EH8 9JA

                    Phone 031 668 2837 for more information.

Thanks.
Stuart Munn
Computer Centre
Heriot-Watt

- ------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 16 Aug 90 16:06:59 -0000
>From:    ABBOTTP@UK.AC.ASTON.VAX.SPOCK
Subject: Missing TeXhax V90 #52

The missing TeXhax V90 #52 has been installed in the Aston archive.

Peter Abbott

- ------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 16 Aug 90 20:12:00 +0000
>From:    "Edmund J. Sutcliffe <CLS016@UK.AC.BANGOR>" <CLS016@UK.AC.BANGOR.VAXC>
Subject: DVITOPS for VMS ??

Has anyone got a working copy of Jim Clark's DVITOPS running under VMS ?
If so can I have a copy of the source ?

   Edmund
ps
   I have been having problems getting fonts back from the archive. The are com
ing back to this VMS machine in a format other that 512 byte fixed records,
This means the VMS binary read isn't coping with them to well. Any ideas ??

- ------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Aug 90 12:22:23 -0000
>From:    BANKS%CCF@UK.MOD.HERMES
Subject: Building TeX V3 from Aston Archives

                    Building TeX V3 from Aston Archives

I have obtained all the TeX V3 files from Aston via TEXSERVER during July.  I
used the  MMS DESCRIP file to build the EXEs.   When I try to build the FMT
files I get a Pascal run-time error.

 %PAS-F-ARRINDVAL, array index value is out of range
 %MMS-F-ABORT, For target TEX$NEWFORMATS:PLAIN.FMT, CLI returned abort status:
%X1021BE84

The message is the same from INITEX and BIGINITEX. The compilations used the
/CHECK qualifier as specified in the documentation file.
We are running VMS V5.3, MMS V2.5 and Pascal V4.0-2.

Has anybody been through this process before, with or without problems.
Is it something I have done wrong ?    All suggestion welcome.

Colin Banks
BANKS@UK.MOD.HERMES

- ------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Aug 90 13:26:50 -0000
>From:    ABBOTTP@UK.AC.ASTON.VAX.SPOCK
Subject: Crop marks

The following file

% cropmark.sty, for use with LaTeX 2.09
% ver. 1
% January 11, 1990
% Dominik Wujastyk
% Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
% 183 Euston Road
% London NW1 2BP
% England
% JANET: wujastyk@uk.ac.ucl.euclid
% Internet: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu
%
%
%             |                                 |
%             |                                 |
%         ---                                     ---
%                  This is a LaTeX style that
%                prints crop marks (or corner
%                 rules) at the four corners of
%                 the page, to help with
%                 cutting and pasting.
%                 Loosely based on Knuth's
%                 \setcornerrules (TeXbook,
%                 pp.416f.).
%         ---                                     ---
%             |                                 |
%             |                                 |
%
%

is now available from

    [TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB]CROPMARKS.STY

Peter Abbott

- ------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Aug 90 15:36:43 -0000
>From:    David Osborne <cczdao@uk.ac.nott.clan>
Subject: AMSTeX version 2.0 in the archive

Version 2.0 of AMSTeX is now installed in the archive.
There are a number of changes from the original AMSTeX, the most
important of which are:

- - - new fonts:
    the Euler and Math Symbols fonts have been redesigned in METAFONT84,
    to replace the old METAFONT79 versions, which had previously only
    been available in GF format; the METAFONT sources of all the
    AMSTeX 2.0 fonts are now available.

    The Cyrillic fonts from Washington University are included in this
    release, in PK and source versions.

- - - new macros:
    the AMSTeX macro package has been updated.
    Note that this is incompatible with the old fonts from the
    original AMSTeX, and that the new fonts from AMSTeX 2.0 require
    the new macro package.

- - - support for LaTeX:
    a set of macros is available to allow the use of AMSTeX from
    LaTeX, in addition to the `traditional' use of AMSTeX with the
    Plain TeX format.

You will find the fonts, TFM files, documentation and macros
below the directory [tex-archive.amstex2]

- - --David Osborne

- ------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 17 Aug 90 15:48:23 -0000
>From:    David Osborne <cczdao@uk.ac.nott.clan>
Subject: English documentation for MTeX

Fran{\c{c}}ois Jalbert's User's Guide in English for Steinbach and Schofer's
MTeX package for typesetting music is now in the archive, in
    [tex-archive.tex-styles.mtex]guide.tex

The original German documentation is now in that directory, in file
mtexinfo.tex, with the macros in mtex.tex and a demo file of two pieces
by Bach and Distler in mtexdemo.tex.

The music fonts remain in directory [tex-archive.fonts.mtex]

- - --David Osborne

- ------------------------------

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! UK TeX ARCHIVE at ASTON UNIVERSITY:
!!
!!  Files of interest
!!      [tex-archive]000aston.readme           [tex-archive]000directory.list
!!      [tex-archive]000directory_dates.list   [tex-archive]000directory.size
!!      [tex-archive]000last30days.files
!!
!!  FTP access: site               uk.ac.aston.tex
!!              username           public
!!              password           public
!!
!!
!! I have a tape labelled TeX 2.993(==3.0) LaTeX 2.09 Metafont 1.9 (2.0)
!! Unix 4.2/3BSD & System V. Tar 1600 bpi blocked 20 1 file dated
!! 28 March 1990 (from washington.edu)
!!
!! I have the facility to copy this tape for anyone who sends the following
!! 1 2400 tape with return labels AND RETURN postage. (2.50 pounds sterling
!! for UK users, payable to `Aston University') Outside UK please ask me.
!! UK users send 4.25 for two tapes or 6.60 for three tapes.
!! Send to
!!
!! P Abbott
!! Computing Service
!! Aston University
!! Aston Triangle
!! Birmingham B4 7ET
!!
!! A VMS backup of the archive requires 2 (two ) 2400' tapes at 6250bpi.
!! Remaining details as above.
!!
!! A VMS backup of TeX 2.991 plus PSprint is available; one tape is needed.
!!
!! Exabyte tape drive with Video 8 cassettes:
!!   Same formats available as 1/2in tapes.  We use the following tapes
!!     SONY Video 8 cassette  P5 90MP, MAXCELL Video 8 cassette P5-90
!!     TDK Video 8 cassette P5-90MPB
!! Postage 35p UK (stamp please), 1 pound sterling Europe, other areas 2 pounds
!!
!! OzTeX - Send 10 UNFORMATTED (800k) disks with return postage.
!!
!! ---Peter Abbott.
!!
!!   end of issue