[comp.text.tex] Can someone tell me what NABLA means?

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (08/17/90)

I've been trying to find out these past couple of days what the origin
of the name of the character/symbol "nabla" is.  Nabla is used (as far
as I can gather) primarily in mathematics, and is a greek delta turned
upside down (i.e. a triangle standing on one of its points).  In
mathematics, I'm told it's also called the "del operator".  The name
nabla seems to be common in typesetting systems (TeX has it), and this
is what the character was called when it was part of ASCII.  (The
position it held in the ASCII table is now occupied by '@'.)

So far, I've found that it's not a Greek or Hebrew letter (as I first
thought it must be), and neither is it (I believe) of Phoenician or
Egyptian origin.  If anyone can tell me why nabla is called nabla,
I'll sleep better at night!  :-)  Oh, and if you're reading this in
sci.math, please respond by email, as I don't follow that group...

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway. Telephone: +47-5-959205
tih@barsoom.nhh.no -- edb_tom@debet.nhh.no -- tih@macpost.nhh.no

thakulin@hila.hut.fi (Timo T Hakulinen) (08/18/90)

In article <993@barsoom.nhh.no> tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:

>   I've been trying to find out these past couple of days what the origin
>   of the name of the character/symbol "nabla" is.  Nabla is used (as far
>   as I can gather) primarily in mathematics, and is a greek delta turned
>   upside down (i.e. a triangle standing on one of its points).  In
>   mathematics, I'm told it's also called the "del operator".  The name
>   nabla seems to be common in typesetting systems (TeX has it), and this
>   is what the character was called when it was part of ASCII.  (The
>   position it held in the ASCII table is now occupied by '@'.)

Nabla is an ancient musical instrument probably of semitic origin.
It is supposedly like a Hebrew harp with 10-12 strings and its
shape resembles that of an inverted delta.  Thence the name of the
mathematical symbol in question.

For some reason nabla is not a very well known name for the del-operator,
at least not on the new continent.  In fact, The TeXbook is one of the few
textbooks of U.S. origin that use it.  In Finland it is commonly used among
physicists and mathematicians.

Timo

[
	A quiz from the leaflet of the local guild of chemistry students here:

	What does the physicist dream of? (choose the right alternative)

		a)	nabla
]

jmu@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (James Unger) (08/18/90)

	I believe that nabla is the Hebrew word for a lyre, which looked
roughly triangular and was held apex downward.  In vector analysis texts,
nabla is typographically an inverted Greek upper-case delta--you can tell
because of the different thicknesses of the three sides of the triangle.
The Laplacian operator, which also pops up in vector analysis, looks like
u.c. delta, but has equally thin lines on all three sides.

lowj_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (John "Travis" Low) (08/18/90)

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:

>I've been trying to find out these past couple of days what the origin
>of the name of the character/symbol "nabla" is.  Nabla is used (as far
>as I can gather) primarily in mathematics, and is a greek delta turned
>upside down (i.e. a triangle standing on one of its points).  In
>mathematics, I'm told it's also called the "del operator".
>[...]
>So far, I've found that it's not a Greek or Hebrew letter (as I first
>thought it must be), and neither is it (I believe) of Phoenician or
>Egyptian origin.  If anyone can tell me why nabla is called nabla,
>I'll sleep better at night!  :-)
>[...]

From my introductory calculus textbook, _Calculus_, by Howard Anton,
third edition, at the bottom of page 995:

"The symbol [insert nabla here] (read, "del") is an inverted delta. In
older books this symbol is sometimes called a "nabla" because of its
similarity in form to an ancient Hebrew ten-stringed harp of that name."

I attempted to verify this with some references I have around the house,
but I couldn't find anything. Sounds semi-plausible, though.

--Travis

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (08/18/90)

/ lowj_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (John "Travis" Low) / Aug 17, 1990 /
> "The symbol [insert nabla here] (read, "del") is an inverted delta. In
> older books this symbol is sometimes called a "nabla" because of its
> similarity in form to an ancient Hebrew ten-stringed harp of that name."
>
> I attempted to verify this with some references I have around the house,
> but I couldn't find anything. Sounds semi-plausible, though.

From Davidson's _The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon_, under
"n\'evel", meaning 3: "a musical instrument, perhaps so called from its
shape [meanings 1 and 2 are "bottle" and "jar"--J]; generally considered to
have been a kind of lute".  (I don't see any forms that could be pronounced
"nabla" or "navla" that can be used as nouns...)

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (08/19/90)

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

}/ lowj_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (John "Travis" Low) / Aug 17, 1990 /
}> "The symbol [insert nabla here] (read, "del") is an inverted delta. In
}> older books this symbol is sometimes called a "nabla" because of its
}> similarity in form to an ancient Hebrew ten-stringed harp of that name."
}>
}> I attempted to verify this with some references I have around the house,
}> but I couldn't find anything. Sounds semi-plausible, though.

}From Davidson's _The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon_, under
}"n\'evel", meaning 3: "a musical instrument, perhaps so called from its
}shape [meanings 1 and 2 are "bottle" and "jar"--J]; generally considered to
}have been a kind of lute".  (I don't see any forms that could be pronounced
}"nabla" or "navla" that can be used as nouns...)

That may be true, but a simple trip to a reasonable dictionary reaffirms the
derivation [we can only speculate why folks don't START these kinds of
inquiries with a look at a good dictionary...]  Webster's third unabridged
claims the Hebrew precursor is nebhel [with a hook over the 'e'] and that it is
the Hebrew word for "harp".

  /Bernie\

nmartola@ra.abo.fi (Nils Martola EXG) (08/19/90)

In article <1380006@gore.com>, jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
> / lowj_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (John "Travis" Low) / Aug 17, 1990 /
> > "The symbol [insert nabla here] (read, "del") is an inverted delta. In
> > older books this symbol is sometimes called a "nabla" because of its
> > similarity in form to an ancient Hebrew ten-stringed harp of that name."
> >
> > I attempted to verify this with some references I have around the house,
> > but I couldn't find anything. Sounds semi-plausible, though.
>
> From Davidson's _The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon_, under
> "n\'evel", meaning 3: "a musical instrument, perhaps so called from its
> shape [meanings 1 and 2 are "bottle" and "jar"--J]; generally considered to
> have been a kind of lute".  (I don't see any forms that could be pronounced
> "nabla" or "navla" that can be used as nouns...)
>
> Jacob
> --
> Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

The short summary tells it all; in the Hebrew Bible there are
some occurrences of the word _nevel_, which refer to a musical instrument
used in liturgic as well as in profane occasions (cf. for instance 1Sam
10,3; 2Sam 6,5; Amos 5,23; 6,5; Is 5,12; 14,11).  It is commonly assumed
that the instrument is a kind of harp or psalterion.  The old Greek
translation of the Hebrew Bible (the Septuagint) uses different words for
_nevel_; in some instances (e.g. 1Sam 10,3; 2Sam 6,5) no translation
at all is given, but a _transliteration_, that is NABLA.

Nils Martola
nmartola@ra.abo.fi (Internet)

heine@barsoom.nhh.no (Heine Rasmussen) (08/20/90)

]...  The old Greek
]translation of the Hebrew Bible (the Septuagint) uses different words for
]_nevel_; in some instances (e.g. 1Sam 10,3; 2Sam 6,5) no translation
]at all is given, but a _transliteration_, that is NABLA.

]Nils Martola
]nmartola@ra.abo.fi (Internet)

Correct.  You also have the latin derivation nablium, "a kind of harp
or lyre", used by Ovid somewhere.

Heine Rasmussen  ---  <sam_hr@debet.nhh.no> or <heine@barsoom.nhh.no>
Address:                                               | Phones:
Center for Applied Research                            | Home: +47-5-102946
Norwegian School of Economics                          | Work: +47-5-959503
Breiviken 2                                            |
N-5035 BERGEN-SANDVIKEN                                |

yaronf@huji.ac.il (Yaron Farber) (08/21/90)

lowj_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (John "Travis" Low) writes:

>tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:

>>I've been trying to find out these past couple of days what the origin
>>of the name of the character/symbol "nabla" is.  Nabla is used (as far
>>as I can gather) primarily in mathematics, and is a greek delta turned
>>upside down (i.e. a triangle standing on one of its points).
>From my introductory calculus textbook, _Calculus_, by Howard Anton,
>third edition, at the bottom of page 995:

>"The symbol [insert nabla here] (read, "del") is an inverted delta. In
>older books this symbol is sometimes called a "nabla" because of its
>similarity in form to an ancient Hebrew ten-stringed harp of that name."

>--Travis

My Webster's 9th Collegiate wouldn't help, which is a shame, but
indeed "nevel" is Modern Hebrew for harp (`b' and `v' are related
in Semitic languages, including Hebrew) and this name also
appears in the Bible. But I don't know how you can prove exactly
what instrument it was.
--

  Yaron Farber                                           TEL: +972-3-282520
  BITNET: yaronf@HUJINIX           CSNET & INTERNET: yaronf@mush.huji.ac.il