[comp.text.tex] What's the different between dosTeX and sbTeX?

kfslam@sunee.waterloo.edu (simpson kf lam) (08/19/90)

Is there anyone out there who knows the different between dosTeX and
sbTeX? I am currently using sbTeX and it seems to work fine. But
it doesn't seem to like my previewer. My computer crashes when I
try to run the previewer right after I run sbTeX. My guess is that
the machine language routines in sbTeX left something in memory
upon termination and my previewer just pick it up and crash. If
dosTeX is better, I may switch to dosTeX and see if it will work
with my previewer. Is anyone encounter this problem before? Oh, BTW,
my computer is a PC XT. I don't have the source for both sbTeX and
my previewer either.

					simpson@maxwell
					kfslam@sunee
					simpson@kingcong
					etc., etc.,...

c37189h@saha.hut.fi (Harri "Haba" Suomalainen) (08/20/90)

In comp.text.tex kfslam@sunee.waterloo.edu (simpson kf lam) writes:
>Is there anyone out there who knows the different between dosTeX and
>sbTeX?

I tried dosTeX instead of sbTeX 29. It seemed to be far more slower.
(the difference was noticeable with my 386/25 Mhz)
I guess sbTeX is slow enough with an PC/XT!

I had no problem with the previewer (dvivga/dviega/dvicga).
Could you name the previewer ?

-hs
--

Harri Suomalainen    c37189h@saha.hut.fi    haba@otax.tky.hut.fi

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.164800.13909@sunee.waterloo.edu> kfslam@sunee.waterloo.edu (simpson kf lam) writes:

   Is there anyone out there who knows the different between dosTeX and
   sbTeX? I am currently using sbTeX and it seems to work fine. But
..
   dosTeX is better, I may switch to dosTeX and see if it will work
   with my previewer. Is anyone encounter this problem before? Oh, BTW,
   my computer is a PC XT. I don't have the source for both sbTeX and
   my previewer either.

at the risk of confusing the situation further, can I suggest you also
look at emTeX? this has its own previewer in the distribution (a good
one). also, do you have the latest sbTeX (sbtex30)? Wayne Sullivan
does a lot of work on it, and it may be that your difficulty goes away
in later releases just by chance.

sebastian

--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) (08/22/90)

I notice from ftp directory listings that the sbTex is much smaller
than the dosTex as shipped, but is it much smaller once installed?
My dosTex TEX.EXE is 550k on disk and only fits into RAM when I
strip out all drivers, and I'd like to run TeX with my fonts on
a compacting disk-driver -- would sbTex help?

I also notice that the sb30tex.arc files I've seen in BBS listings
does not include a latex.exe, but looking at the eedsp.gatech list,
the sb archive weighs in at over 300k.  Does this include LaTeX?
--
Gary Murphy                   uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!garym
                              (garym%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net)

extel@quagga.uucp (Dr. Eberhard Lisse) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug19.164800.13909@sunee.waterloo.edu> kfslam@sunee.waterloo.edu (simpson kf lam) writes:
>Is there anyone out there who knows the different between dosTeX and
>sbTeX? I am currently using sbTeX and it seems to work fine. But
>it doesn't seem to like my previewer. My computer crashes when I
>try to run the previewer right after I run sbTeX. My guess is that
>the machine language routines in sbTeX left something in memory
>upon termination and my previewer just pick it up and crash. If

I use sbTeX 3.0 on an AT with the previewer from Arbortext. (not that
I like this previewer but I experience difficulites in getting any
decent previewer due to no FTP access [anybody taking a hint out there
:-)?])

It works just fine. I recently got the latest lplain and upgraded
without any hassles other than that I can not use the german umlauts
any more (\"u works of course and a quicl MicroEmacs macro solved
that).

None of the program running after sbtex crahsed.

I think you should look at your previewer.

regards, el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse
P.O. Box 205			Private Bag 13260