[comp.text.tex] multi.ps and dvi3ps

wittig@gmdzi.UUCP (Georg Wittig) (08/27/90)

>Archive-name: multi/31-Jul-90
>Archive-site: archive.su.oz.au [128.250.27.2]
>Archive-directory: /archive/ps_printing
>Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)
>
>I contacted Ross; multi *is* public domain,
>and is available by anonymous ftp from archive.su.oz.au (129.78.64.5)
>in directory archive/ps_printing (along with other stuff).  It works
>with just about any PostScript file, reducing it so as to fit any
>reasonable number of virtual pages onto a physical page.  We find it
>very useful here.  The distribution includes lots of documentation.
>

>Multi is also available for ftp from
>	sics.se (192.16.123.90)
>
>as archive/multi.tar.Z

	But for me it doesn't work together with the output of dvi3ps (i.e.
	dvi2ps version 3.1).

	I tried the following:

		1. concatenate in that order
			multi.ps
			the header created by dvi3ps until "%%End Prolog"
			"true 1 2 multi"
			the rest of the dvi3ps generated postscript
			"endmulti"

		2. concatenate in that order
			the header created by dvi3ps until "%%End Prolog"
			multi.ps
			"true 1 2 multi"
			the rest of the dvi3ps generated postscript
			"endmulti"

	Is this the right way to do it? Or has the dvi3ps generated header
	to be changed?

	Thanks for any help!

--
Georg Wittig  GMD-Z1.IT	| wittig@gmdzi.gmd.de	| "Freedom's just another word
P.O. Box 1240		| wittig@zi.gmd.dbp.de	|  for nothing left to lose"

murthy@algron.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (08/28/90)

wittig@gmdzi.UUCP (Georg Wittig) writes:
>>I contacted Ross; multi *is* public domain,
>>and is available by anonymous ftp from archive.su.oz.au (129.78.64.5)
>>in directory archive/ps_printing (along with other stuff).  It works
>>with just about any PostScript file, reducing it so as to fit any
>>reasonable number of virtual pages onto a physical page.  We find it
>>very useful here.  The distribution includes lots of documentation.
>>

>>Multi is also available for ftp from
>>	sics.se (192.16.123.90)
>>
>>as archive/multi.tar.Z
>	But for me it doesn't work together with the output of dvi3ps (i.e.
>	dvi2ps version 3.1).

>	I tried the following:

>		1. concatenate in that order
>			multi.ps
>			the header created by dvi3ps until "%%End Prolog"
>			"true 1 2 multi"
>			the rest of the dvi3ps generated postscript
>			"endmulti"

>		2. concatenate in that order
>			the header created by dvi3ps until "%%End Prolog"
>			multi.ps
>			"true 1 2 multi"
>			the rest of the dvi3ps generated postscript
>			"endmulti"

>	Is this the right way to do it? Or has the dvi3ps generated header
>	to be changed?

I thought he had changed multi to where the procedure was called
"landscape" or something.  I haven't tried the new version, but the
old version seems to work fine with dvi3ps.

--chet--

NEUMANN@awiwuw11.wu-wien.ac.at (Gustaf Neumann) (08/28/90)

> But for me it doesn't work together with the output of dvi3ps (i.e.
> dvi2ps version 3.1).

The shell-script below should clarify the order in which the files
should be concatenated:
#!/bin/sh
# call multi either with a commandline argument (the postscriptfile), or
# use it in a pipe.
#
# typical usage:    dvips -f somedvifile | multi | lpr
#
# description of available layout options is in $MULTI
#
# gustaf neumann, 2.Aug. 1990
MULTI=/usr/local/lib/tex/ps/multi.ps

(cat $MULTI; echo "true 1 2 false multi"; cat $1; echo "endmulti" )
As you see from the comment i use dvips (5.31), which has virtual
font support and is capable to use Postscript fonts. When dvifiles with
cmr fonts are sent through multi the output is rather bad (bitmap
scaling). When you use in your **TeX documents postscript fonts (such
as helveticva) instead and you apply multi the output is really neat.

Up to my experience multi works with about any postscriptfile (also
troff output). I am pretty sure it works with dvi2ps as well.

-gustaf
Gustaf Neumann       neumann@dec4.wu-wien.ac.at, neumann@awiwuw11.bitnet
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 2-6,  A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 (222) 347-541 x533                    Fax 347-555