[comp.text.tex] TeX -- Help requested on Columns, Fonts

hannes@complx.UUCP (Johannes Kiehl) (08/26/90)

Can anybody help me on one of the following 3 questions?
I'm using (or going to) TeX on an IBM compatible/under MSDOS.
1. Does anybody know of TeX macros that let you work with
multiple (like 4 or more) columns and still automatically
flow the text into columns and pages? How about a ,,newspaper
package`` that could handle tabloid page sizes and multi
column articles set on the page like independently
administered boxes?
2. Beat me, if you feel like it, TeX-Wizards. I know you're
almost infinitely happy about the Computer Modern Fonts
designed by Knuth an his fellow TeXnicians. But I'd prefer
an aristocrately bent Garamond light and a fat, self-content
Futura bold. Where can I get cheap additional Typefaces that
work with a Laserjet? I wouldn't mind defining the Metafonts
myself, if they didn't exist yet (and if the Metafont-Editor
could be learnt in a day or two...)
3. Yeah, the Laserjet. I know there are several DVI-To-Laser
drivers around, though in my TeX-Package there weren't any.
Do they send a huge bitmapped page to the printer? This could
get me into severe memory troubles. Or are there drivers that
use the PCL language or at least upload the fonts first and
then transmit Ascii-data?
Thanks for any replies or follow-ups!

mjd@central.cis.upenn.edu (The Consumer) (08/27/90)

In article <983@complx.UUCP> hannes@complx.UUCP (Johannes Kiehl) writes:
   2. Beat me, if you feel like it, TeX-Wizards. I know you're
   almost infinitely happy about the Computer Modern Fonts
   designed by Knuth an his fellow TeXnicians.

Hmmf.  I can't be the only one who thinks that the CMR
uppercase 'R' is an abomination, can I?
--

 In some sense a stochastic process can do better; at least it has a chance.
Mark-Jason Dominus 	  			    mjd@central.cis.upenn.edu

dhosek@sif.claremont.edu (Hosek, Donald A.) (08/28/90)

In article <983@complx.UUCP>, hannes@complx.UUCP (Johannes Kiehl) writes...
>Can anybody help me on one of the following 3 questions?
>I'm using (or going to) TeX on an IBM compatible/under MSDOS.
>1. Does anybody know of TeX macros that let you work with
>multiple (like 4 or more) columns and still automatically
>flow the text into columns and pages? How about a ,,newspaper
>package`` that could handle tabloid page sizes and multi
>column articles set on the page like independently
>administered boxes?

Reason number 253 for joining the TeX Users Group: All the neat
exciting articles in TUGboat. Annual membership rate is a mere
$35 (or for those living outside N. America, a chauvinistic $45).
Membership includes a subscription to the TUGboat journal (4
issues this year). If you join mid-year, you do get the issues
from the beginning of the year that you missed. David Salomon
will be presenting a macro package for Magazine layout in the
next TUGboat. If you promise to join, I could give you David's
e-mail address, or you could ask the TUG office people when you
write them.

For more information on TUG and TUGboat :

  TeX Users Group
  P.O. Box 9506
  Providence, RI 02940
  401-751-7760
  tug@math.ams.com

>2. Beat me, if you feel like it, TeX-Wizards. I know you're
>almost infinitely happy about the Computer Modern Fonts
>designed by Knuth an his fellow TeXnicians. But I'd prefer
>an aristocrately bent Garamond light and a fat, self-content
>Futura bold. Where can I get cheap additional Typefaces that
>work with a Laserjet? I wouldn't mind defining the Metafonts
>myself, if they didn't exist yet (and if the Metafont-Editor
>could be learnt in a day or two...)

A day or two? Ooh, afraid not.

However, Personal TeX has a package which allows one to use the
Bitstream fonts with any printer and TeX (it creates PKs and
TFMs). The package is $95 (or $179 for the package plus Bitstream
Swiss or Dutch). Bitstream fonts run around $129 each.

  Personal TeX
  12 Madrona Avenue
  Mill Valley, CA 94941
  415-388-8853
  FAX: 415-388-8865
  pti@well.sf.ca.us

>3. Yeah, the Laserjet. I know there are several DVI-To-Laser
>drivers around, though in my TeX-Package there weren't any.
>Do they send a huge bitmapped page to the printer? This could
>get me into severe memory troubles. Or are there drivers that
>use the PCL language or at least upload the fonts first and
>then transmit Ascii-data?

I think all of them download fonts. Note that most HP clones do
*not* handle font downloading correctly, however.

 HP Laserjet Plus
 >Little Computers
  (IBM PC)
   ArborText Inc., TeX Users Group
    DVIlaser/HP
     Uses GF, PK, and PXL fonts. Allows inclusion of graphics, landscape
     printing and use of printer resident and HP soft fonts.
     Cost: $225. Site licenses available. Academic discounts available.

   FTP-science.utah.edu, Radel, Personal TeX
    DVIJEP (by Nelson H.F. Beebe)
     Uses GF, PK or PXL files. Written in C. Source is included. Graphics
     inclusion specials are available are available on request.

   LaserPrint

   Micro Publishing Systems, Incorporated
    TeXprint/HP
     Uses GF, PK, and PXL fonts. Allows inclusion of graphics, landscape
     printing, collating, odd or even page selection, reverse order printing,
     and direct printing to the printer. Also included is a translation utility
     for HP soft fonts.
     Cost: $189. $150 for governmental and educational institutions.

   Neumann,FTP-uk.aston.ac.uk
    DVI2XX (by Gustav Neumann)
     Uses PK or PXL files. Written in C. Source is included. Supports
     odd and even-only page printing (for two-run duplex). Graphics
     inclusions is also supported.

   Personal TeX
    PTI Laser/HP
     Allows automatic font substitution, landscape printing, and inclusion of
     graphics.
     Cost: $195.

   XOrbit

Arbortext, Inc.
 Contact: Sales Department
 Postal Address: 535 W. William Street
                 Suite 300
                 Ann Arbor, MI 48103
 Internet: sales@arbortext.com
 Phone: (313) 996-3566

Aston
  Contact: Peter Abbott
  JANET: abbottp@uk.ac.aston
  Postal Address: Computing Service
                  Aston Triangle
                  Birmingham B4 7ET
  Notes: A complete copy of the Aston archive is available in VMS BACKUP
         format on two 2400' tapes at 6250bpi. To receive it send two
         blank tapes and return postage.
         The Unix TeX distribution may also be obtained in exchange for
         one 2400' tape and return postage.

FTP-science.utah.edu
 Contact: Nelson H.F. Beebe
 Phone: (801) 581-5254
 Internet: Beebe@Science.Utah.EDU
 Files: PS:<TEX.PUBLIC.DVI...>*.* (Beebe drivers and documentation)

FTP-uk.ac.aston.tex
 Contact: Peter Abbott
 JANET: abbottp@uk.ac.aston
 NIFTP: Use Username PUBLIC, Password PUBLIC
 Notes: Accessible to JANET users only.
        Gustav Neumann's DVI2XX is available in [TEX-ARCHIVE.DRIVERS.NUEMANN]
        as NEUMANN.BOO
        Nelson Beebe's drivers are in [TEX-ARCHIVE.DRIVERS.BEEBE].
        For information on Mail access send a mail message with 3 lines
        containing (1) three hyphens, (2) your return mail address, and
        (3) the word HELP, to texserver@uk.ac.aston.

LaserPrint
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 35,
                 D-6101 Fr\"ankisch Crumbach, Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 6164 4044

Micro Publishing Systems, Incorporated
 Postal Address: Suite 300
                 1120 Hamilton Street
                 Vancouver, B.C. Canada, V6B 2S2
 Phone: (604) 687-0354

Neumann
 Contact: Gustav Neumann
 Bitnet: Neumann@Awiwuw11

Personal TeX
 Contact: Lance Carnes
 Postal Address: 12 Madrona Street
                 Mill Valley, CA 94941
 Phone: (415) 388-8853
 Telex: 510-601-0672

Radel
 Contact: Jon Radel
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 2276
                 Reston, VA 22090
 Notes: Software is distributed on 5.25" 360K floppy disks. For floppies
        sent with a return mailer, there is a charge of $1.50/floppy
        U.S. orders, $2/floppy elsewhere. For orders where floppies
        are supplied by Jon Radel, there is a charge of $5/floppy
        for U.S., Mexican and Canadian orders, $6/floppy elsewhere.
        3.5" 720K disks are also available for the cost of any two floppies
        each.

TeX Users Group
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 9506
                 Providence, RI 02940-9506
 Phone: 401-751-7760
 Internet: tug@math.ams.com

XOrbit
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 1345
                 D-8172 Lenggries
                 Federal Republic of Germany
 Phone: +49 8042 8081

-dh

---
Don Hosek                       TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu       installation and production work.
dhosek@ymir.bitnet              Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir              Phone: 714-625-0147
                                finger dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu for more info